Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
If you & your husband are making a GOOD living...
Previous  1  2

mimsy7420

Post Fri, Oct 27 2006, 11:16 am
Ruchel wrote:
Dh is a journalist, but he has money left by his father.

So he doesn't work?

DesignMommy

Post Fri, Oct 27 2006, 11:24 am
I agree with Chani, DH is an actuary and has a degree in math and another in economics and every actuary he knows has a degree in math. It gives you an advantage in passing the exams. DH has B"H passed 7 out of the 9, but is so busy at work (and B"H at home!) that he hasn't been able to sit for one this past year. I can't wait until he finishes!
It is a great field, though and there is absolutely a demand.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 27 2006, 11:41 am
only1 wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

So he doesn't work?

He used to work (after his studies), stopped when we got engaged (because he settled in my town and was always on msn at work anyway Wink), now thinking of studying again (in order to work again because the interests that come from the money aren't enough for a whole family).

mimsy7420

Post Fri, Oct 27 2006, 11:43 am
Ruchel wrote:
only1 wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

So he doesn't work?

He used to work (after his studies), stopped when we got engaged (because he settled in my town and was always on msn at work anyway Wink), now thinking of studying again (in order to work again because the interests that come from the money aren't enough for a whole family).

Good for him.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 27 2006, 11:48 am
only1 wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
only1 wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

So he doesn't work?

Good for him.

Yup, it's not very good to live on a sum that doesn't grow.

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Oct 27 2006, 11:50 am
Someone on this site posted a link a few weeks ago to a blog that discusses how much money frum people in different communites need in order to get by. It was very interesting.

mimsy7420

Post Fri, Oct 27 2006, 11:57 am
Ruchel wrote:
only1 wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

So he doesn't work?

Especially these days when it costs so much to live.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 27 2006, 12:07 pm
only1 wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
only1 wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

So he doesn't work?

Especially these days when it costs so much to live.

ditto!!

chavamom

Post Fri, Oct 27 2006, 12:45 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
Someone on this site posted a link a few weeks ago to a blog that discusses how much money frum people in different communites need in order to get by. It was very interesting.

Hmm - I missed that. Link?

roza

Post Fri, Oct 27 2006, 1:30 pm
may this one:
http://orthonomics.blogspot.com/

but then you need to search the blog for a particular issue

Piper

Post Fri, Oct 27 2006, 3:04 pm
roza wrote:
3.14 is pi (pronounced 'pie')

3.14pers = pipers

see wikipedia on pi : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi

p.s. just today I read on livejournal that Hashem's name Shakai has gematriah 314

also see http://ohr.edu/ask_db/ask_main.php/287/Q1/ on pi in Torah

wow.

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Oct 27 2006, 3:24 pm
roza wrote:
may this one:
http://orthonomics.blogspot.com/

but then you need to search the blog for a particular issue

Thanks. It wasn't in that blog, but that person linked to the blog in question, so it helped me find the post.

Here's the link - it's the comments that are fascinating, not so much the original blogger's post.

http://askshifra.blogspot.com/.....links

amother

Post Sun, Oct 29 2006, 1:16 am
Original poster here. This discussion has been very interesting so far. My husband is NOT at ALL a math person, so actuary is out! Very Happy I could be a great actuary, though!! But I'm not the one looking for a new job. Very Happy

He's exploring sales... although he doesn't really think of hiimself as a salesman, but is willing to try in the interest of a change of mazel with parnassa... Does anyone have any GOOD experience to share about sales? Success stories? Or does anyone have any warnings/horror stories to share? Suggestions of companies/industries to try for or stay away from?

Also, he looks very frum! Do you think that's a help or hindrance or neither when it comes to selling to the general public?

amother

Post Sun, Oct 29 2006, 1:47 am
Quote:
I could be a great actuary, though!!
Oh but I'm finding you quite usefull in the job you already have.. Wink

amother

Post Sun, Oct 29 2006, 1:51 am
Oh woops I take that back. I just realised that the poster I thought you were hasn't been on in the last 24 hours LOL

amother

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 12:43 am
Phew! My heart flipped when I read your first message - I couldn't figure out WHO would know who I am and WHAT job I am currently doing that is so useful! Then I scrolled down and read your second message and my heart flopped back into place. 8)

amother

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 12:52 am
oooh sorry I gave you a fright.
If you were the person I thought you were then I don't think she would really care and she would have figured out who I was anyway LOL

momof6

Post Sun, Nov 05 2006, 9:24 am
If he doesn't see himself as a salesman, sales is probably not his field! Salesmen need to be very motivated to make $$$$$$$$$$$$$ They also need to be outgoing and upbeat.
He should never stop looking frum for a job!!!!!!!! Boy can that backfire!!
He can take an aptitude test which will let him know what his strenghths are and which jobs are available to fit them. I beleive Jewish Family Services can administer such a test or point you in the right direction. A good social worker should also be able to point him in the right direction.
Good Luck!!! Very Happy
Everyone needs to find the job that's the right fit for them!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics