Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs -> Mazel Tov on Birthdays & Anniversaries
Happy birthday To Me
Previous  1  2

sarahd

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 3:37 am
That sounds like a Manhattan address. Is it? If so, you'll have a problem finding such a restaurant, because there isn't really a frum community in that area, ergo no restaurants catering to Shabbos guests. I have my doubts as to whether such a thing exists at all, but if anywhere in Manhattan, it would be on the upper West Side, which is quite a distance from your apt., which from its address seems to be right on the East River.

Pearl

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 3:40 am
I have no idea how to figure out the streets in manhattan.....looks like I have to be extra special creative for shabbos then! cold meals for shabbos day, and maybe the apartment owners have a hotplate? then I could pick something up on that other side of manhattan....
or diet - that wouldn't do me any harm Wink

sarahd

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 4:09 am
Partial Guide to Figuring Out Streets in Manhattan:

Fifth Avenue is the dividing line. Everything above 5th Avenue is West, everything below is East. The numbers go up or down, beginning from 5th Avenue. So 1-99 is between 5th and Madison (East Side) 100-199 is between Madison and Park (generally), 200-299 is Park and 3rd, etc. An address like 524 will be between 1st Avenue and the river. 52nd Street is mid-town.

As for the West Side, 1-99 will be between 5th and 6th Avenues (6th Avenue is also known as Avenue of the Americas), 100-199 is 6th and 7th, and so on.

Further uptown, the dividing line is Central Park.

In the upper West Side, which starts at around 72nd Street, the avenues have names, not numbers, like Columbus, Amsterdam, Riverside Drive, etc. There are lots of kosher restaurants on the upper West Side, because there are hundreds of Jewish frum singles who live there and don't cook much.

Pearl

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 4:11 am
okay, apparantly we will be between first and second Avenue......
there's supposed to be a kosher japanese restaurant near, which would be great, cause I LOVE sushi!
btw, if anyone will ever be in Paris, great glatt kosher sushi there too!!

thanks for the info, sarahd, I will print it and try to memorize it!

Tefila

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 4:46 pm
Pearl you do get to travel. 8) 8)
Paris, Rome the States, Israel where next Smile Wink

Pearl

Post Fri, Apr 01 2005, 1:40 am
I have never been to rome Crying that's just hear-say! but yes, there's a major plus about living in europe and owning a car - one gets places! Wink
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs -> Mazel Tov on Birthdays & Anniversaries