Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Breading advice needed!!

lamplighter

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 10:07 am
When you bread your shnitzels how do you get the breading to stick? I've tried corn flake crumbs, bread crumbs, panko, mayo, eggs, but it's never perfect.
Secondly, when I turn them over in the frying pan I almost always ruin the breading where my fork or tongs touch it.
And thirdly, how do you bread shnitzel with the least amount of crumbs being wasted. I'm always throwing out a lot after I finish breading. Is there a trick or tip for this?

newlymarried

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 10:25 am
I have never had trouble getting the coating to stick, so I can't help you with that, sorry.
But to waste the least amount of crumbs, use only a small amount at a time, and keep adding to the plate after every schnitzel or two.
And the coating will come off if you try turn the schnitzel over before it is cooked properly, so let it cook a bit more, and then it won't come off.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 10:31 am
The trick (it was in one of the magazines recently too) is too do a triple dip for chicken.

First dip the chicken in plain, dry flour. Then in the liquid mixture (eggs, mayo, oil, whatever). Then dip it in the breading (panko, bread crumbs, cornflake crumbs, matza meal, etc.).

The triple dip makes the breading stay on while you fry. It's more of a pain, but its the way to get it perfect.

Laughing Bag!

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 10:36 am
I do flour eggs then crumbs I find that if the coating comes off its either not cooked enough or cooked too much you need to find the midpoint usually medium flafe works best and leave it on each side for 3 minutes minimum; however I think its mostly s/t u need to see for yourself
oh and abt saving the crumbs I also start with small amt and add if I do stay with extra I usually end up making a concoction of the eggs/flour add spiced ull be surprised it s/t really turns out yum! Smile

good luck

Happy18

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 10:43 am
The triple dip really works best. All of the cutlet recipes I have that get breaded use this method.

CatLady

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 11:12 am
Another vote for the triple dip. It's the only thing that ever works well for me!

newmother

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 11:17 am
If you use a metal spatuala- like you use to make egg then the breading stays on better because you are fliping the chicken from uunderneath as opposed to grabbing it with tongs

lamplighter

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 11:52 am
How about the extra crumbs and now with this triple dip- also flour? Is there a more resourceful way of doing it? I usually use some crumbs, then add more, but I'm always throwing out Sad

nylon

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 3:33 pm
I also triple dip. The reason it works is that the chicken is slightly damp. Flour makes it dry, and the egg adheres. With no flour, the egg rolls right off.

It's not very much flour (you're basically dusting the chicken) and with the crumbs, what you do is only put a small amount down at a time. None gets wasted. If you start with a whole plate full, egg runs into the crumbs, you get clumps, and you wind up dumping them.

Karnash

Post Sat, Sep 03 2011, 11:01 am
I also triple dip - but not with flour.

I do bread crumbs, eggs, bread crumbs and get a crispy coating. The first dip in the crumbs just gives you a light coating which holds the egg, and the last dip completely coats. I also mix my spices into the bread crumbs.

est

Post Sat, Sep 03 2011, 12:05 pm
I put the crumbs on a double sheet of kitchen paper which sits on a plate (double in thickness, not length). I shake off any excess egg before putting it onto the crumbs so there are no clumps in there and after I have finished coating I fold the paper in the middle and pour the leftover crumbs into a ziploc bag. I label it and keep it in the fridge till I make another batch. I only re-use it for chicken cutlets. this way you can start off with lots of crumbs and not waste any.

Karnash

Post Sat, Sep 03 2011, 2:00 pm
est - I'm not sure that re-using the bread crumbs is safe. Raw chicken juices are one of the most common causes of food poisoning. Although the crumbs are refrigerated and the next batch of cutlets may be thoroughly cooked, I think it's not worth the risk.

Try measuring the amount of bread crumbs you use for let's say, a pound of cutlets - a cup? more? less? after a few tries you'll be able to estimate the amount of breadcrumbs you need for the cutlets you have.

elmos

Post Sat, Sep 03 2011, 8:47 pm
freeze the extra crumbs for next time
dep fry or bake so you do not have to flip the chicken

nylon

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 9:37 am
Please don't reuse crumbs - raw chicken juices and raw egg? It's a salmonella nightmare. Just dump the crumbs on the plate a small amount at a time.

kb

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 10:53 am
I've been freezing and reusing crumbs for a while now and no one has come down with salmonella yet! Don't worry - my food is cooked.

Karnash

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 1:13 pm
You have to come down with salmonella only once to really regret it.

Is the amount of money you are saving on leftover bread crumbs worth the risk?

myself

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 1:38 pm
Instead of the triple dip you can dry your cutlets before dipping in egg. The flour just causes extra unnecessary mess so I usually roll the cutlet in a paper towel first, then dip.

JC

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 2:20 pm
My trick is to only turn once. Dont turn it over until the first side is totally done. When you flip back and forth it steams the coating and that is one reason it may not be sticking through cooking

Simple1

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 3:55 pm
I heard that it's good to let the cutlets sit in the fridge for about an hour or so, so that the breading dries on. Actually this was suggested as a way to prevent it from becoming bitter from stray crumbs falling off during frying and burning. I usually don't have time to do it that way.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey