Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What foods don't need a hechsher?
1  2  Next

Seraph

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 3:22 am
I know that this answer will have tremendously different answers depending on who answers it, what kehilla they live in, and what country they live in, but I was wondering...
According to your rav, which foods don't need a hechsher, none at all?

I think in Israel every single food needs a hechsher because of shmita, orlah, trumos, maasros, etc...

But assuming a food is imported from the US, or assuming you lived in the US, would you buy these with no hechsher:

Raw, unrefined grains. Whole quinoa. Buckwheat. Wheat berries. Barley. Amaranth. Millet.
Beans and legumes.
Flours- white flour, whole wheat flour, corn meal, semolina flour, bean flours, nut flours.
Fruit- fresh whole, sliced, or frozen.
Fruit juices- fresh, bottled, or concentrate, excluding grapes.
Veggies- whole fresh. Fresh sliced/chopped. Frozen.
Oils.
Sugar. Honey. Raw sugar, like cane sugar.
Fish, raw, with fins and scales.
Milk.
Seaweed.
Eggs.
Salt.

Yes or no to any of the above?
Any more things to add to the list that don't need a hechsher at all?

Any of the stuff on the list that your rav holds does need a hechsher, at least some basic one, but it doesn't need a good hechsher at all, that you can use even a relatively unreliable hechsher?

Last edited by Seraph on Mon, Sep 05 2011, 3:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Liba

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 3:32 am
why are you excluding grapes from your whole fresh fruits in chu'l? We certainly bought grapes, as well as all other whole fruits and vegetables, from regular stores in chu'l without any hashgacha at all.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 3:34 am
Eggs? Salt?

Seraph

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 3:36 am
Liba wrote:
why are you excluding grapes from your whole fresh fruits in chu'l? We certainly bought grapes, as well as all other whole fruits and vegetables, from regular stores in chu'l without any hashgacha at all.
You're right. I was thinking more fruit juices, when grape juice is a big problem because of yayin nesach.

Seraph

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 3:37 am
So Liba and Chanchy, everything on the list you'd buy with no hechsher?

mummy-bh

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 3:48 am
only olive oil, other oils I'd only buy with a hechsher.

Seraph

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 3:53 am
mummy-bh wrote:
only olive oil, other oils I'd only buy with a hechsher.
Why would olive oil davka not need a hechsher, but the other ones yes?

mandksima

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 3:57 am
I was told that except for Israeli grown olives, any extra virgin cold pressed olive oil around the world does not need a hechsher.

salt, sugar also is ok without.
I know my parent's rav will check on things and tell them from time to time that certain things are ok for the moment like canned mushrooms, for example.

Seraph

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 4:00 am
mandksima wrote:
I was told that except for Israeli grown olives, any extra virgin cold pressed olive oil around the world does not need a hechsher.
Do olive oil bottles generally say what country the olives are grown in?

mummy-bh

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 4:02 am
right, I meant EVOO not any old olive oil, and I guess not in Israel, but I thought you were asking about in Chul

Seraph

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 4:12 am
mummy-bh wrote:
right, I meant EVOO not any old olive oil, and I guess not in Israel, but I thought you were asking about in Chul
What I'm saying is, isn't israeli olive oil exported around the world? If so, do olive oil bottles in chutz laaretz always say which country's olives they're made from?

rowo

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 4:18 am
Raw grains, beans, flour (not self raising) sugar, raw fruit and veg are all fine. Cut up fruit and veg, if it's coming from a fruit shop ( ie knives only used for fruit and veg) I've been told it's ok, but I still cut a thin slice off.
Fruit juice we've been told needs a hechsher, minute amounts of coloring or flavours can be added without being on the label and they can be problematic.

I'm not sure what a hechsher would be for with eggs?!

Seaweed I've been told does need a hechsher bc of the way it is processed. When they are gathering the sea weed lots of other stuff can get caught up with it. So unless they have checked and removed the other small things specifically for kosher products you never know what (even in small amounts) is in it. Which is also why kosher nori sheets are quite expensive.

Liba

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 7:10 am
Seraph wrote:

Raw, unrefined grains. Whole quinoa. Buckwheat. Wheat berries. Barley. Amaranth. Millet, sunflower and pumpkin seeds (unroasted)
Beans and legumes.
Fruit- fresh whole
Veggies- whole fresh
Eggs

Those are the things we buy in chu"l without hashgacha.

grace413

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 7:10 am
Juices require a hechsher because they are processed on the same equipment as grape juice.

Milk (at least in the US) requires a hechsher because it has vitamins A & D added to it and the origin of the vitamins has to be certified.

Oils (other than EVOO) are transported in large tanker trucks which could be used for non-kosher products.

Veggies - depends where you stand on the bug issue. Bagged salads (lettuce etc.) need to be certified.

Canned fruit was acceptable last time I checked but it's been a while.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 7:13 am
You might check out Rabbi Eidlitz's site. Some big kashrus sites, like ou, star k, crc, may have something like this on their sites too.

Liba

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 7:13 am
grace413 wrote:

Veggies - depends where you stand on the bug issue. Bagged salads (lettuce etc.) need to be certified.

Yes, fruits and vegetables prone to infestation (broccoli, lettuce, cauliflower, cabbage, strawberries) we buy with hashgacha (bodek) or in the olden days we checked. Smile

Seraph

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 7:44 am
PinkFridge wrote:
You might check out Rabbi Eidlitz's site. Some big kashrus sites, like ou, star k, crc, may have something like this on their sites too.
I'm honestly not looking for a complete list from an organization. I'm wondering how different specific people hold.

tizunabi

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 7:50 am
My FIL says that butter can be bought without a hechsher.. (plain old regular no additive butter). This is because butter can ONLY be made from milk of a kosher animal, and not any other animal.

Disclaimer: I didnt research this even a bit, so if its wrong, correct me..

Liba

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 7:55 am
tizunabi wrote:
My FIL says that butter can be bought without a hechsher.. (plain old regular no additive butter). This is because butter can ONLY be made from milk of a kosher animal, and not any other animal.

Disclaimer: I didnt research this even a bit, so if its wrong, correct me..

That USED to be the case. http://www.oukosher.org/index......10386 Butter making has become much more complicated and fraught with kashrus issues in the recent past.

Seraph

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 8:02 am
Btw, part of the reason why I asked this question is because I purchased some bulk food stuff cheaply, and was reselling it, and some people would only buy things that are raw, unprocessed, etc... with a badatz eida chareidis hechsher, rabbanut wasn't enough for them, even though these things were made/grown in chutz laaretz, and hence didn't even need ANY hechsher to begin with, according to what I'd learned. But I was wondering if other people hold differently.

Btw, Liba, you said raw grains you'd buy without a hechsher. What about raw rolled oats or steel cut oats? Would you hold that as a raw grain that can be bought hechsher free, or one that needs good hashgacha?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen