Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Seeking unusual Israeli baby girl name
1  2  3  4  5  Next

chan04

Post Mon, Sep 12 2011, 8:28 pm
Hi all,
I've been struggling to find a very unusual Israeli name for our daughter who is due pretty soon. I was thinking that a holiday connection would be nice, but isn't absolutely necessary. Does anyone know of any names that aren't too common? I'm open to anything unusual & interesting, does not have to be holiday-connected.
Thanks so much for any input!!!!
(Sorry, edited to remove my original suggestions...suddenly feeling paranoid about putting names out there, superstitiously Smile)

Last edited by chan04 on Mon, Sep 12 2011, 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 12 2011, 8:37 pm
Both strike me as boys names?

See here http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....61863

amother

Post Mon, Sep 12 2011, 8:44 pm
rishona

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Sep 12 2011, 8:45 pm
Geffen is the last name of a very powerful and wealthy Hollywood executive/producer. That's my association Smile

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Sep 12 2011, 8:47 pm
I have an Israeli/American friend who just named her baby girl Gefen. It's interesting.

spring13

Post Mon, Sep 12 2011, 9:13 pm
How bout Einav? It also means grape (think anavim), and it's more distincly feminine. and there's also Hadas, although I doubt that's considered unusual.

I'd mention names that I know my Israeli relatives have used recently, but someone who's there cold give you more a more complete list.

fiddle

Post Tue, Sep 13 2011, 2:59 am
spring13 wrote:
How bout Einav? It also means grape (think anavim), and it's more distincly feminine. and there's also Hadas, although I doubt that's considered unusual.

I'd mention names that I know my Israeli relatives have used recently, but someone who's there cold give you more a more complete list.

I was just going to post this.

or leelach

lech lecha08

Post Tue, Sep 13 2011, 3:04 am
fiddle wrote:

or leelach

I just heard the name Lihee (ליהיא)

chanchy123

Post Tue, Sep 13 2011, 3:09 am
Geffen is an acceptable name for a girl, not super common, but not unheard of. I don't know what other names you were thinking about, but you could do Rimon, which would be pretty out there but in a cool way (If you are living in the US though, she might be confused with Ramone). Reishit, is on par with Geffen, it is used, but not overly so. Haddas is a pretty common name in Israel for girls. Maybe something to do with water since בחג נידונים על המים and water and rain are big issues in Israel and Judaism. How about Meital, Tal, Revital, not unusual, but nice names.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Sep 13 2011, 3:12 am
lech lecha08 wrote:
fiddle wrote:

or leelach

I just heard the name Lihee (ליהיא)

Lilach, is Lilac - a pretty flour and I would not say it is unusual.
Lihee, also, pretty common among girls of a certain circle and age.

momaleh

Post Tue, Sep 13 2011, 3:21 am
If a celebrity can go with alef....sounds unisex to me!

grace413

Post Tue, Sep 13 2011, 3:32 am
I guess I'm an old fuddy-duddy but...

Geffen is becoming very popular.

I know a 4 year old named Nofet, from nofet zuf from Shir Hashirim, never heard of anybody else with this name.

Meital was popular 20 years ago but not so much now - I don't like the name. Envision the following conversation in the U.S. "What does your name mean?" "Dewdrop"

Tal is a unisex name.

Rishona - not a good idea

cubbie

Post Tue, Sep 13 2011, 3:44 am
I know a Rimonit

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Sep 13 2011, 3:50 am
I don't know how common it is in Israel, but I've always loved the name Levana.

Of course, it won't work if she's olive skinned and dark haired! shock

jackiejoel3

Post Tue, Sep 13 2011, 3:55 am
I don't know how unusual it is but what about kochavit?

chanchy123

Post Tue, Sep 13 2011, 4:01 am
I had a long guide to feminine names in Israel, that disappeared.
But rule number one is NEVER EVER give your dd a feminie version of a male name, or an object, Rimona, Rishona, Kochavit (which would be ridiculed for other reasons in Israel), Shimona, Yesefa, Eliezra, Rimonit, etc. Regardless of circle, dati, chiloni, chareidi - these names no longer exist and would be considered very very outlandish and not necessarily in a good way.

momaleh

Post Tue, Sep 13 2011, 4:24 am
grace413 wrote:

I know a 4 year old named Nofet, from nofet zuf from Shir Hashirim, never heard of anybody else with this name.

I know a nofech

her sisters are Shani, shoham and gitit

lizard8

Post Tue, Sep 13 2011, 4:37 am
Why are you choosing a 'new' name for your daughter?? Unless she will have really high self esteem and the name wont bother her, she may be tormented for life! I know many who changed their name once they were old enough, because they were so embarrassed. It may be pretty and unique to you, which I understand. To your daughters future classmates it might be different and strange.

You may be right, and have a most beautiful, independent, unique child. You have the right to think that my advice is totally off mark.

You can do what you want, just think about this advice.

RachelEve14

Post Tue, Sep 13 2011, 5:50 am
I agree Gefen is becoming more used.

My oldest is Nechama, and here that is dafka an unusual name, but I don't think that was the type of name you were going for :-)

Some names pulled of my girls' dapi kesher:

Reishit, Techelet, La'ava, Adi, Nitzan

Can't think of any more at the moment, and no idea what any of them mean except La'ava (from ahava, love, beloved???)

grace413

Post Tue, Sep 13 2011, 6:06 am
RachelEve14 wrote:
I agree Gefen is becoming more used.

My oldest is Nechama, and here that is dafka an unusual name, but I don't think that was the type of name you were going for :-)

Some names pulled of my girls' dapi kesher:

Reishit, Techelet, La'ava, Adi, Nitzan

Can't think of any more at the moment, and no idea what any of them mean except La'ava (from ahava, love, beloved???)

Reishit - first, beginning
Techelet - the color sky blue, the color for tzitzit threads
Adi - a precious ornament/jewel
Nitzan - flower bud (I think)
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names