Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Best Board Games for Shabbos
Previous  1  2  3  Next

queenyemk

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 10:29 am
Roza the link doesn't work...
could you please tell us what book it come from.

thanks...that's really interesting.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 10:44 am
SaraG wrote:
In Upwords you snap the letters into place.

not the upwards we have. nothing is in a perminent place. if I turned the boardgame upside down, they would all fall to the floor.

roza

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 11:05 am
queenyemk wrote:
Roza the link doesn't work...
could you please tell us what book it come from.

http://www.feldheim.com/cgi-bi.....y=126

if you don't play scrabble during the week and on Shabbos you use the numbers on pages of any book to keep a score (NOT writting it down)....you might want to ask your Rov if it's OK.

Mevater

Post Thu, Oct 11 2007, 1:48 pm
One year later- any popular board games- especially good word games?

anuta

Post Thu, Oct 11 2007, 1:53 pm
I asked a rabbi about Scrabble on Shabbat and was told its OK

greenfire

Post Thu, Oct 11 2007, 2:15 pm
I used to play this game called "rush hour" ... tons of FUN for me and my kids ...

Gela

Post Thu, Oct 11 2007, 5:57 pm
Mah Jongg

All shabbat afternoon.

roza

Post Thu, Oct 11 2007, 9:47 pm
We found a new game called Qwitch, kids love it! It's their favorite on Shabbos afternoon. I like to play it too sometimes.
http://www.otb-games.com/qwitch/index.html

shoy18

Post Thu, Oct 11 2007, 9:55 pm
apples to apples

leomom

Post Thu, Oct 11 2007, 10:40 pm
Set is great, as someone mentioned. Fast and good for feeling the synapses in your brain firing. My 6-year-old totally gets it and can play, but my mom can't.... and she's a smart lady... just can't wrap her brain around the concept fast enough to find sets. So, what ages the game is for really depends on the individual.

Blokus is also great - pleasant, non-stressful, but really fun - but get Blokus Trigon, not the standard one. Trigon has pieces based on triangles instead of squares, on an octagonal board (instead of square) - and it is a million times more interesting to play and way more aesthetically pleasing than the regular game. You can make gorgeous designs with the pieces just for fun and that alone is really satisfying way to spend time - even as a solitaire activity.

Another interesting game is Quoridor - you try to get your piece across the board, while both players set up walls to create a maze so that it will take the other person longer to get to the other side. Very easy to learn - fun to develop strategies as you get to know it.

Also, there's a Jewish version of Apples to Apples.

roza

Post Thu, Oct 11 2007, 11:57 pm
I was wondering if the jewish version of apple to apple worth the money?

Mevater

Post Fri, Oct 12 2007, 12:34 am
How about adult word games (like Overturn) or Othello type games?

amother

Post Fri, Oct 12 2007, 12:39 am
Quote:
Another interesting game is Quoridor - you try to get your piece across the board, while both players set up walls to create a maze so that it will take the other person longer to get to the other side. Very easy to learn - fun to develop strategies as you get to know it.

are you serious? when I was a little kid (like 25 years ago!) we had this great game called "blockade" which sounds exactly like what your describing, and we LOVED IT! over the years I always thought how come they stopped making it, and how much my kids would like it. Thanks for that info. Is it available in any dept. store?

leomom

Post Fri, Oct 12 2007, 1:22 am
amother wrote:
Quote:

are you serious? when I was a little kid (like 25 years ago!) we had this great game called "blockade" which sounds exactly like what your describing, and we LOVED IT! over the years I always thought how come they stopped making it, and how much my kids would like it. Thanks for that info. Is it available in any dept. store?

That's interesting... maybe this is an update (or rip-off) of the old game. Ours was given to us as a gift, so I'm not sure where it's available, but there's a website called AreYouGame.com that has pretty much everything. Quoridor is beautiful, made of wood, very nice to play.

About the Jewish Apples to Apples - I've never seen it, only heard about it. But the one time I played the regular Apples to Apples, I had this urge to "make it Jewish" - so I think a Jewish version would be worthwhile.

chavamom

Post Fri, Oct 12 2007, 1:33 am
shoy18 wrote:
apples to apples

We also have the Apples to Apples Jewish Edition - very fun and my older kids want to play it all the time.

guesswho

Post Fri, Oct 12 2007, 9:12 am
Chess
Checkers
Connect Four

Mimisinger

Post Fri, Oct 12 2007, 9:20 am
There's also a Yiddish apples to apples...
my Rabbi's kids love the Jewish apples to apples

Mevater

Post Fri, Oct 12 2007, 9:43 am
When suggesting games, please say what ages the game is appropriate for.

I'm looking for adult level Shabbos permissible games.

amother

Post Sat, Oct 13 2007, 4:28 pm
ligretto (card game)
age 7->....

chanagital

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 8:28 pm
Uno
connect four
chess
checkers
cards (21 etc)
trivial pursuit