Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Pearl Abraham

ceo

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 12:20 am
Has anyone read her books- The Romance Reader was her first, then Giving up America?

Oy vey, this woman has a lot of issues with her parents. The Romance Reader is VERY OBVIOUSLY her "autobiography." She is not such a great writer. her characters totally lack depth. I find it hard to believe that she teaches writing at NYU.

this is just another book where chassidish people are portrayed in a very negative manner Crying . The father spends the whole book trying to get Rachel to wear seamed stockings.....he is made to look very shallow. This is the story of a dysfunctional family,plain and simple. It just happens to be that they are chassidishe.

It really makes me sad to see these kind of books. I wish this woman would tell it to her therapist instead, ykwim?

technic

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 3:29 am
I love love loved the romance reader but hated giving up america, which put me off her after that...and I realised she had issues but it didnt bother me, I just read the book 4 what it was...of course non-jews may read it in a different light entirely ,which is a separate issue....

JMto2

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 9:54 am
I started reading romance reader it was so sick full of lies I could not even finish it it was nauseating.

momontherun

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 6:10 pm
I hated that book! Its really horrible. Her attitude is way off. I mean, hey, you want to be like the modern girls? fine... but why did she go all the way? and Why Why Why write the story of your life and embarrass your family??????????? She wrote so many details, too many... Why does the world have to know so much about her family? Half of it is probably made up or exxagerated, but anyways.. Did you realize also that when she buys a dress with her mother she writes that her mother's hands felt good on her back, and on the very next page when her mother opens to zipper to take it off, her mothers hands felt scratchy.... I was really disgusted.

ceo

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 7:40 pm
Also, it was so disgusting how she and her sister acted towards her mother- they used to say "she's an idiot!" right in front of her. the mom didn't understand English,only hebrew and yiddish.

nebuch, to be from such a messed up family.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room