Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Rice
1  2  3  Next

de_goldy

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 3:12 am
I usually use a microwave rice cooker but it broke!

How do I cook rice in a pot???

supermom

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 4:02 am
Basic way of cooking it: For every one cup of water pour in two cups of cold water. Let it cook for twenty minutes.

Add your own spices, additions before cooking.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 8:50 am
You don't need a special steamer to cook rice in the microwave, you can use any covered container like Corningwear or Pyrex.

queen

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 11:06 am
2 cups of rice and 4 and 2/3 cups water.
add salt.
cover with a lot of ceran wrap or a glass cover.
microwave for 20 minutes.

Let it sit a few minutes when done, then fluff with fork.
Comes out great.

(can divide the measurements to make less, however I found it still needs 20 minutes)

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 11:19 am
At some point I got myself a rice steamer b/c I couldn't run the microwave that long without the power giving out.

It makes the rice taste light and so good, you can't imagine! We even use it for Shabbos sometimes!

I think a medium sized one was $12; and I liked it so much I got one for my coworker's wedding gift, along with a steamer cookbook.

MOM222

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 11:23 pm
Same like supermom says.

2 T. oil
1 C. rice
2 C. water
salt and pepper

Heat oil with rice. Stir on low flame for 2-3 minutes. Add water and spices. Cover cook 20-25 minutes on low flame. Shut gas. Cover with towel and let sit 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.

You can start with a sauted onion, or add frozen veg. with the water.

redhot

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 11:33 pm
u can also make rice in the oven

1 cup rice
2 cups water
salt
1-2 Tablespoons oil

Put all ingredients in a round tin. Cover tightly. Bake at 350 for 1 1/2 hours. its delicious and no fuss.

(but u must plan it a bit more in advance than stove top because it takes much longer to cook)

Imhappy!

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 11:38 am
cooking time does vary on the kind of rice your making. I follow the instructions on the bag/box

Dini

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 5:49 pm
How do I make rice, really good easy and never fail. Til now I took a baking pan (disposable) put a cp of rice, 2 cps of water and a few teaspoons of onion soup mix and a little piece of marg and covered it an baked it for exactly 1 hr. was great but seems that osem has changed the way they make their onion soup mix and it doesn;t taste so good anymore.

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 5:57 pm
basic white rice - always put in 1/2 cup more water than the rice - so if cooking 1 cup of rice, boil in pot 1 1/2 cups water, 2 cups rice 2 1/2 cups water, add tsp of olive oil to water and tsp of salt when boiled add rice stir, cover, & lower the temp. done in 20 min.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 8:01 pm
We adore our rice steamer - OP do a search for rice, we've discussed this before.

Mommish

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 8:11 pm
I actually started making basic rice from a recipe in a cookbook. I know the measurements by heart for 2 cups of rice. Bring 3.5 cups of water to a boil with 1 Tbsp salt and 2Tbsp veg oil, add rice and reduce heat. Cook covered for 30 min. Works every time. Smile

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 8:34 pm
Dini - I just made rice today inmy steamer and have plenty, come on over.

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 9:46 pm
cm - what do you have a machine for everything - where on earth do you keep them?

Dini

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 9:50 pm
With just the salt and oil the rice hardly has any taste. Do you eat your rice with something else on top? or does it have a good taste anyway? and CM sounds like fun the rice steamer... I'll have to do the search... can you make it more tasty in there?

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 10:00 pm
Well you could have rice & sardines in tomatoe sauce; you could make spanish rice with chicken; you could make pepper steak and rice; sweet & sour chicken and rice; chicken soup with rice; rice & beans; & I'm sure the list goes on ...

Dini

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 10:41 pm
yeah I know I eat the rice w/ a main dish but I like when the rice has a good taste like when I used to put the onion soup mix...well tonite I just put a bit of soup mix and some soy sauce but I over baked so it was a bit dry

shanie5

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 10:41 pm
no matter how I make rice, my family usually adds soy sauce for more flavor.

shopaholic

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 7:51 am
After a few years I have finally gotten it worked out. I put 4 c of water to boil. When it does, I add 1 c of rice & put it to simmer. I stir it every so often & it takes about 15 minutes to cook & soak up all the water. Then I dranin it & rinse it a bit so it doesn't congeal. I've tried leess water like they say, but my rice burns or is underdone & I only like very soft rice.

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 8:09 am
momof3 wrote:
After a few years I have finally gotten it worked out. I put 4 c of water to boil. When it does, I add 1 c of rice & put it to simmer. I stir it every so often & it takes about 15 minutes to cook & soak up all the water. Then I dranin it & rinse it a bit so it doesn't congeal. I've tried leess water like they say, but my rice burns or is underdone & I only like very soft rice.

I never heard of rinsing rice - are you sure its not pasta?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes