Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Rice
Previous  1  2  3  Next

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 8:21 am
My friend made delicious rice this shabbos, I just emailed her for the recipe.

Mommish

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 9:43 am
Dini wrote:
With just the salt and oil the rice hardly has any taste. Do you eat your rice with something else on top? or does it have a good taste anyway? and CM sounds like fun the rice steamer... I'll have to do the search... can you make it more tasty in there?

I use aromatic basmati. We like the way it tastes, but generally get the flavor from whatever its being served with (chicken, etc). Sometimes I sautee onions and add that with some chickpeas or something. Or add sauteed orzo.

Dini

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 10:49 am
not an option dh likes dif. tastes on the plate.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 11:22 am
Green, I love gadgets but don't have SO many...whe you visit I'll show you my cupboards, IYH.

Dini, there are many rice, barley, and orzo rcipes that can be used.

mumof1

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 1:21 pm
I bake my rice in the oven dh likes it crunchier.
I oil the bottom of the pan add rice and soup mix 2xs the amount of water to rice. I bake it for like 1 hour its so good and easy.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 4:23 pm
Green - how about starting a sep thread about kitchen gadgets?

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 6:18 pm
This rice is delicious, I had it this shabbos at a friend's at really liked it!

Recipe: Baked Mushroom Rice

CDKitchen http://www.cdkitchen.com

Category: Mushroom Rice

Serves/Makes: 4 | Difficulty Level: 3 | Ready In: 30-60 minutes

Ingredients:
1 cup rice, uncooked
1/2 cup green onions, sliced
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cup nonfat chicken broth
1/2 cup dry sherry
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Butter a 7 x 11-inch baking dish and pour in uncooked rice. In a
medium saucepan, saute green onions in butter until softened. Add mushrooms
and continue to saute until mushrooms are softened. Pour in chicken
broth, sherry, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, remove from heat and pour
over rice in baking dish.

Cover baking dish, and bake in a 375-degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes
or until rice is tender.

Dini

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 8:03 pm
thanks defy I think I'll try it sounds really good

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 9:41 pm
Dini - I still have a little of the rice left over, why didn't you come by to try it?

Dini

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 9:57 pm
sounds good to me!!

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Feb 15 2007, 12:11 am
Quote:
Ingredients:
1 cup rice, uncooked
1/2 cup green onions, sliced
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cup nonfat chicken broth
1/2 cup dry sherry
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Please everyone, when posting a recipe that's adapted for kashrus, make sure that you print the substitute ingredient for the non-kosher one, in this case, there is both butter and chicken broth in one recipe shock

Of course we know that you substitute parve margarine, or oil, but it still needs to be stated clearly.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Feb 15 2007, 10:00 am
TR, why don't you stop picking at things that don't need picking at?

If someone is allergic to an ingredient, they know to substitute it. People that keep kosher know to substitute kosher ingredients, if they don't, then they're idiots. If they don't keep kosher and make the recipe as is, that's their own problem. I don't need to put an alternative for every ingredient.

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Feb 15 2007, 10:08 am
Really, Defy, no offense. I hesitated to post because I really did not want to "pick" as you say.

But just as when serving parve creamer with coffee at a meat meal, it is the halacha that one must display the container so that there is no maris ayin(something [only]appears to violate the halacha), I think that in recipe postings we should not have maris ayin either. It's essential to add the word parve.

we wouldn't want word to go around that on imamother, "treife" recipes are printed, even if it's just maris ayin.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Feb 15 2007, 10:10 am
Sorry, I don't think that's going to happen.
If you make ambrosia, do you need to put the container of Rich's whip on the table so everyone knows that you didn't use dairy cream? If I make a pareve cheesecake, do I need to put the containers of fake cream cheese on the table so everyone knows?

I have heard that when you serve almond milk, you're supposed to put almonds on the table so that people know it's pareve. However, in today's day and age, these substitutions are commonplace. Margarine, soy milk, non-dairy creamer, etc., are regular items in most homes, so is it really necessary to place the container on the table or constantly point out substitutions? I don't think so.

greenfire

Post Thu, Feb 15 2007, 12:29 pm
cm - I cannot make a thread on gadgets - I do not have but I would certainly vote on a garlic press being essential. am I visiting cm - kool.

I once heard my friend over the phone say to her son to come and eat his cheeseburger - and I said What?! - it was one of those veggie burgers with cheese - I felt it was definately wrong to say - I would call it a veggie so he wouldn't get confused. And I ain't even so backside ... as far as leaving parve substitutes out for all to see - if they are already eating by you - they should trust that you know kashrus 101 - no milk with meat.

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Feb 15 2007, 12:46 pm
I do think that when posting arecipe, one should specify. But you know what? I can ask a Rav. Fair?

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Feb 15 2007, 12:48 pm
You can ask your Rav, but I don't have to go according to what he says. You can follow his ruling and make sure to note substitutions, but I don't have to.

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Feb 15 2007, 12:52 pm
That recipe was obviously cut and pasted from a website. Why should she go and change the obvious substitutions that every kosher cook knows about if they cook from other recipe sources besides Kosher by Design?

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Feb 15 2007, 1:47 pm
Because accidents can happen, and people can get the wrong idea.

And the halacha requires us to be careful that we don't give people the idea that we are doing something assur when we are not. v'hyisem n'kiim.

Some people are even new to practicing Kashrus, what seems so evident to most of us might be confusing, or not obvious to them, and they may have questions because of this.

and lastly, what a Rav paskens would go for this website, not for me specifically. I intend to ask Yael about it. Perhaps she has a particular Rav she would prefer to be asked. I'm sure that she doesn't want misleading recipes posted, even if it was only idiots that wouldn't understand.

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Feb 15 2007, 1:58 pm
TzenaRena wrote:
Because accidents can happen, and people can get the wrong idea.

And the halacha requires us to be careful that we don't give people the idea that we are doing something assur when we are not. v'hyisem n'kiim.

Some people are even new to practicing Kashrus, what seems so evident to most of us might be confusing, or not obvious to them, and they may have questions because of this.

and lastly, what a Rav paskens would go for this website, not for me specifically. I intend to ask Yael about it. Perhaps she has a particular Rav she would prefer to be asked. I'm sure that she doesn't want misleading recipes posted, even if it was only idiots that wouldn't understand.

Even people new to Kashrus know that milk and meat are a big no no. Even non jews know that! And I think it's a good way for people new to frumkeit to learn to adapt outside recipes (or situations) and make them kosher.
Honestly, when I saw chicken broth, the first thing that came to my head was pareve chicken soup mix.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes