Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much does your family spend on food a week?
1  2  Next

Ilana

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 11:48 am
how much does your family spend on food a week?

JMto2

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 11:57 am
I would say with meat and fish around $100 take it or leave some. Meat I buy in bulk and grocery shopping I do once in two weeks.

Meema2Kids

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 12:13 pm
$550 a month including toiletries and cleannig supplies

tziviakayla

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 12:24 pm
Groceries, including paper goods, cost between $300-$350 a week, on avereage.

JMto2

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 12:28 pm
Mini how many kids do you have and where you live are groceries a lot of money?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 1:15 pm
We are four people; betw. 80-200 a week.

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 1:24 pm
It really depends on shabbos. If I'm having guests then my food bill will likely be a lot higher. If we are eating out on shabbos then my food bill will likely be a lot lower!

MommyLuv

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 2:32 pm
I also spend way more if I am hosting pple for Shabbos...

I would say I spend between 175-300$ a week on food total.

that includes groceries, produce, fish, poultry and meat, cholov yisrael dairy, occasional paper goods and cleaniing products, and wine..

Confused

for a household of only three people,and one of which is only 2 feet tall, it sounds a bit much...but I live in an area that is notorious for inflated food prices, so I guess it all depends on different variables.

Flowerchild

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 2:36 pm
we buy things in bulk, we shopp for meat ones a month we stock up on it pretty well, we buy canned and frozen foods, which last for a while, we bug toilet paper, napkins and paper towels in bulk lest us about a month and a half or so. so we really only shop for some fruit, vegies like cucumbers, tomatoes, etc, and dairy, we buy two cartons of eggs, a huge thing of milk and cheeses, lests us for some while. so on avarage we spend maybe 100 a week sometimes less.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 2:37 pm
Lily, what does this mean:

we bug toilet paper

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 2:38 pm
It was probably a typo
We BUY toilet paper

Esther01

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 2:38 pm
I have 3 children and off course when I have guest the amount is nearly double, but between fruits and veg(we live on that), dairy, groceries, fish, chicken and meat, toiletries (pampers galore, though I shop that at costco) we spend about $300 a week.

tziviakayla

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 2:49 pm
JMto2 wrote:

I have 6 kids. We eat a lot of fruits and veggies. Plus, diapers and the formula I use to supplement nursing (only ready-to-feed) cost a decent amount each week. I have 2 in diapers and 1 in pull-ups. And the kids just eat a lot. It's amazing how skinny they are considering how much food they all consume!

I live on the East Coast (not NY). Groceries aren't too expensive here, we just buy a lot!

Last edited by tziviakayla on Wed, Nov 01 2006, 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 3:10 pm
wHY DOES HAaving guests mean double the bill?

How much extra does challah cost or another few slices of fish or a few extra veggies?

Not everyone eats chicken, kugel, and dessert by the time those courses roll around, anyway.

I find Shabbos cost what it cost, regardless of one or two or three extra people.........

MommyLuv

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 3:14 pm
saraG, for me, when its just my husband and I, I tend to tone things down a little..I'll skip the soup and cholent and wont make dessert, and cook only one side dish with the main course.

but if I am inviting pple over, I know I "have to" dish up a little more food, cuz I want to make everyone happy, and pple also "expect" a certain standard of food on shabbos....so it definitely costs much more $$!

(though if you think about it, the amount of food served at a typical Shabbos meal is really overkill.....)

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 3:52 pm
If it's a couple compared to one extra person, okay. But if it's a family and a couple of extras come...........

I find I'll have guests more readily if I serve them what I'm going to serve anyway.

for example...........

I buy challo. Okay, I'll buy more.

Fish
I make a loaf. if more people are coming, either the slices get smaller or the roll is a liitle bigger (I freeze them inhalf and sliced into thirds, too.)

Veggies. I make a big salad. no problem there.

Soup. Again, smaller portions. no biggie.
(if ds is eating out, no soup anyway!)

chicken, rice or pasta salad.
I always make 2 or three pkgs of chicken; if you're hungry, have 2 or three pieces. no problem. or you can skip it. also okay.
rice or pasta - I serve more or less, dpending on what the indiv. person wants.

no one ever eats dessert.

Shabbos - leftovers from the night meal

Last edited by chocolate moose on Wed, Nov 01 2006, 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 3:59 pm
I serve totally different foods when I have guests - not to mention more!

When it is just DH and me we have a chicken, potatoes, salad and some sort of vegetable friday night. We have chicken and a small cholent and a salad for lunch. That menu expands quite a bit when we have guests. Just by adding a roast or meat of any kind makes the grocery bill go higher.

shayna82

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 4:35 pm
my aim, $100 a week inlcuding everything for dinners and shabbos. sometimes it more like $120-130.

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 4:53 pm
minibagel wrote:
Groceries, including paper goods, cost between $300-$350 a week, on avereage.

JMto2 wrote:
minibagel wrote:

I have 6 kids. We eat a lot of fruits and veggies. Plus, diapers and the formula I use to supplement nursing (only ready-to-feed) cost a decent amount each week. I have 2 in diapers and 1 in pull-ups. And the kids just eat a lot. It's amazing how skinny they are considering how much food they all consume!

I live on the East Coast (not NY!)!

Larger families cost more to feed , folks, minibagel's costs sound very normal and typical.

Flowerchild

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 5:00 pm
yes it was a typo, thanks only1
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics