Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Any tunisians here? Feuilles de brick?

Smiling Wife

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 1:50 pm
Hi, I am looking for brick sheets or feuilles de brik....they look like egg roll sheets but are thinner.
Anyone knows where I can get them from? France? Israel? Or even better US?

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 2:24 pm
I find it locally frozen, imported from france. Says feuilles de brik, with a hamza on package. Did you check middle eastern grocery stores? Agree eggroll sheets are too thick, fillo sheets are too thin. Maybe if you have a kosher indian store you can ask if they can sell you samosa pastry?

Now, if I can only find osbana, pkaila locally.... (Not a tuni but familiar with the cooking)

nylon

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 2:32 pm
This was a challenge, but I found them. You will have to confirm kashrut, I can see what looks like a hechsher but I can't be sure. I know these are very hard to find and are not manufactured in the USA; most north African cookbooks written for Americans tell you to use wonton wrappers for briks and phyllo for bisteeya (bake it, don't fry) which is what I used when I made a bisteeya. I have heard of some Middle Eastern stores selling these. It is always imported.

http://www.amazon.com/Feuilles.....r=8-1

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 2:35 pm
nylon wrote:
This was a challenge, but I found them. You will have to confirm kashrut, I can see what looks like a hechsher but I can't be sure. I know these are very hard to find and are not manufactured in the USA; most north African cookbooks written for Americans tell you to use wonton wrappers for briks and phyllo for bisteeya (bake it, don't fry) which is what I used when I made a bisteeya. I have heard of some Middle Eastern stores selling these. It is always imported.

http://www.amazon.com/Feuilles.....r=8-1

I think its the same one I spotted at a kosher shop. The K surrounded by circle of stars on the lower left looks like the Paris Beth Din sign.

Smiling Wife

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 8:15 pm
SO the thing is someone is coming to the US from Tunis, I was wondering if there are ones that are kosher that are sold there ( maybe on the French list? I should check) aaaaahhh osbene!!!
Mrs Bissli, where are the feuilles de Brik you get made in? France? Another country? I understand they are imported from france but just checking if they are actually made there.
@Nylon: The amazon ones look good but they are obscenely pricy...I am hoping to find something else till I am desperate enough :-)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics