Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Extra rectal hole!

amother

Post Sun, Oct 16 2011, 10:13 am
Anyone else have this? I found an extra rectal hole on my baby. My dr doesn't seem concerned at all. she told me that I should show her next time I come in, but of course as a mother, I am pretty freaked out by it. Anyone else?!

Liba

Post Sun, Oct 16 2011, 10:18 am
Is there stool coming from the hole?

amother

Post Sun, Oct 16 2011, 10:24 am
hard to tell, I don't really watch him go to the bathroom...

yo'ma

Post Sun, Oct 16 2011, 10:37 am
Quote:
Diagnosis:
anyway, my (new) doc diagnosed it as a pilonidal sinus. They are not dangerous/contagious/life threatening/etc. He recommended that it be left alone unless it should be become bothersome (ie: multiple infections or pain).
Operation/treatment:
I went to my new general physician his cost to eliminate is est at $700+/- us (this was his est. For an in house operation). They simply cut the hole out and sew it back up. I personally opted out on that, but to each is own. If left alone (after infection treated) the skin within will toughen similar to our outer skin and become resistant to any problems. It seems that these are fairly common (about 1 of 100 people get them - mostly men) and usually take preference to men with thick/abundant hair in the region. I'm no ape but the hair is thick.
Symptoms:
if there is a discharge you probably have a minor infection which can be treated with anitbiotics (at least that worked for me & haven't had any problems since), usually the cause of the infection is due to an ingrown (or otherwise) hair. If you have further questions please feel free to post as I think this link will eventually help eliminate alot of unneeded stress in others lives. Now I'm not saying that I am right about anyone who has symptoms of this as I'm not a doctor. I'm only going by my own experiences.
Possible other diagnosis:
backside fistula - tunnel or tract which is trying to connect between intestine and buttock.
Fissure - usually on or near backside opening -very small.
Pilonidal cyst - usually same hole with noticable pain caused by cyst or other abscess.
Causes for sinus:
generally unknown but typical patient has thick or abundant hair, prolonged sitting periods or lack of blood flow to that region.
Other:
generally has little to do with bowl movements and/or diet, however a diet high in fiber helps with the "flow" of things, if you know what I mean.

From here
It sounds like you don't have to worry like your doctor said, but wait until you even see him to worry Wink , if necesary.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 16 2011, 10:57 am
Thanks for that. I had trouble finding info on line. But this doesn't sound like what my son has as he isn't really having hair there. He is only a few months old. A dorctor who my dh explained it to called it a Pilonidal cyst (I think) but he didn't see it. I am totally not freaking out, ists justa weird thing to see and I did freak before I spoke to the receptionist. Now I am much more ok with it.

frimamom

Post Sun, Oct 16 2011, 12:27 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for that. I had trouble finding info on line. But this doesn't sound like what my son has as he isn't really having hair there. He is only a few months old. A dorctor who my dh explained it to called it a Pilonidal cyst (I think) but he didn't see it. I am totally not freaking out, ists justa weird thing to see and I did freak before I spoke to the receptionist. Now I am much more ok with it.

there isnt really much on a cyst.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyst

devorahh

Post Sun, Oct 16 2011, 2:36 pm
My son had the same issue and I really freaked out. I had an ultrsound done and everything was normal. Its actually quite common. Just make sure it stayes clean and don't worry.

devorahh

Post Sun, Oct 16 2011, 3:28 pm
My son had the same issue and I really freaked out. I had an ultrsound done and everything was normal. Its actually quite common. Just make sure it stayes clean and don't worry.

mom2six

Post Sun, Oct 16 2011, 5:06 pm
My baby has one. A pilonidal cyst/sinus/dimple are all the same thing. It's nothing to worry about as long as you keep it clean.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 16 2011, 7:44 pm
I have that little dimple and so do two of my kids. Once I got a really bad infection in it and it popped and drained pus and blood. It was pretty gross. I was too embarassed to go to the doctor about it, Thankfully I havent had problems with it after that infection 9 years ago.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 16 2011, 7:44 pm
I have that little dimple and so do two of my kids. Once I got a really bad infection in it and it popped and drained pus and blood. It was pretty gross. I was too embarassed to go to the doctor about it, Thankfully I havent had problems with it after that infection 9 years ago.

turca

Post Sun, Oct 16 2011, 11:36 pm
I was born with one, but it closed down with time. I remember my mother telling me ( I was about 4-5 years old) I might need some type of surgery to close it down and then I was checked and they decided there was nothing to be closed over there.

SplitPea

Post Mon, Oct 17 2011, 12:02 am
dd has one as well.. ped showed us at birth she said as long as you can see the bottom and its closed she is fine. (some kids it actually goes to the spine) I am SURE it was seen in the newborn check and your ped just did not bother telling you because its so common and she could see the bottom. just keep it clean and all is well Smile

amother

Post Mon, Oct 17 2011, 8:08 am
when I saw it on my son I freaked and ran to tell hubbs and hes like I have 1 too but was too embarrassed to tell a o so I made hime call hius father and his father like yeah it hereditary and NOT A BIG deal so its like nohting liek s o else said a dimple

amother

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 9:22 am
Thanks everyone. Sorry I didn't get back here earlier. Glad to see other mothers who have dealt with it. I will show it to the ped the next time I go. I don't think they have noticed it before because I am not in the US where they have major baby check ups and I saw his discharge letters from the hospital and it didn't say anything...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics