Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
South Africa
Previous  1  2  3  Next

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 10:02 am
amother wrote:
op here:

I am going on shlichus, and my inlaws live there. does that change things

u have definitly given me all sides of teh spectrum.....

for me that does not change anything. my in laws live there as well and my husband and I are most probably going out of Israel to do kiruv work as well and we both decided that SA is NOT the place where we want to be. but to each her own.

Emuna

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 11:07 am
OP - Go there and get back to us, OK?

happymom

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 11:13 am
Quote:
Does no one besides me find that statement offensive?

the fact is though thats its true. that is the reason why its dangerous.

Mammy

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 11:25 am
The apartheid government led it to where it is now. They created a society of poverty, sickness, and lack of family structure.

Was it better before apartheid??? Depends for who?

Basically, I am blaming the apartheid govornment for the situation that the current govornment is trying to solve.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 11:35 am
I agree with Mammy. Although what the black people are doing isn't right, their actions are the result of apartheid.

su7kids

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 11:43 am
There are choices. And MANY wonderful people of various skin colors have made much better choices.

Affirmative action is very strange in South Africa. I don't agree with it here, either. I think people should EARN the place by virtue of their abilities.

So many black people are successful now in South Africa because they haev CHOSEN that path, rather than the path of shooting, looting, killing, and loitering.

I agree that the white racist government created this, but I also believe that there are CHOICES and all of us can rise above our upbringing and do better.

I just heard that they passed a LAW that within 2 years every single business MUST have a black partner.

I see the reasoning behind it, but I'm wondering how one can legislate that, and how people will go around it.

It almost seems as if the new government is creating a reverse racism compared to what they came out of.

sacohen

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 12:42 pm
It is interesting to know everyones opinion on South Africa.

I was born in South Africa, and have lived there all my life. (still there)

As far as being a Jew in SA, you have freedom to do as you want with very little anti semitesim). The kosher facilities are amazing. The standard of living is quite high - a maid, swimming pools, etc...

Crime is on the increase at the moment. Most people live behind electic fences, high walls, burgler bars. and are very careful about locking doors, car doors etc..

Most people don't wear jewellery for fear of being mugged.

It is tough, but life does carry on. A new private "police force" was launched in my area (don't know where your family lives) with 0 tolerance last week. Hopefully it will scare the robbers away.

The sad thing is most people, yes even the blacks, want to get on with life peacelfully, unfortunately a handful of people ruin it for everyone.

Hope I haven't scared you, but asked a shaila what to do.

sacohen

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 12:47 pm
Forgot to say, South Africa is a very pretty place, with many open areas and beautiful vacation places.

The people are also very friendly (besides for the robbers)

If you want any more info feel free to PM me

sunnymom

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 1:47 pm
I find it really interesting to sign on to imamother and find a whole post about my home country...!! I'm sure you got quite a good picture of the pluses and minuses, but if you'd like any other specific info feel free to PM me and I'll be glad to help you out. My parents live on shlichus there, & I grew up there.
Hatzlocha with your descision, and just know if you do decide to move out there, the community really needs it, and will be very VERY supportive!

amother

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 3:39 pm
OP I think you gotta come and check the place out for yourself!

I am South African and living here. For sure there are pros and cons to every place. Why, believe me I can give you a long list of cons about living in NY! (lived there a while) As mentioned, if you are considering shlichus, you have the Rebbe's brochos and on that note - once you have seen for yourself, discuss with a mashpia and if you are of the opinion - write to the Rebbe for a brocha for yourself.

Just a PS about people leaving or not. There are MANY South African young couples returning here to live (even with spouses who are not from SA) and those of shidduch age who are determined to marry and live here.

If you do come to visit, let us know and can make plans to meet up!

JRKmommy

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 4:10 pm
I'm not South African myself, but grew up in an area that had a HUGE South African population (I'm sure I can say "Don Mills and Simonston" and SA heads will be bobbing in recognition).

The general consensus I heard was:

- The weather was great (and Canadian weather is horrible)
- The scenery was fantastic
- The standard of living was very, very high - but this was a somewhat artificial situation, because under apartheid, it was possible to have domestic help at a very low cost, and whites had access to the education and resources. Most people found that their standard of living decreased somewhat when they moved to North America, even though they were well-educated and moved to prosperous countries.
- There was a huge emigration.
- Jewish life was very strong

I've also found that while some former South Africans have racial views that shock Canadian sensibilities, others tend to be MORE progressive as a result of their experiences. Different people react in different ways.

I think that it was amazing, btw, that Mandela was able to bring SA out of apartheid is a fairly peaceful way (without turning it into another Zimbabwe), but his successor Mbeki was, IMO, criminally negligent in not dealing with the AIDS crisis responsibly. While he followed goofball theories about HIV not causing AIDS, up to 25% of the country got infected. That's pretty much wiped out much of the post-apartheid progress.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 2:04 pm
Curious as to how it evolved? I remember following this thread in 2006 LOL

returnedtothetree

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 4:32 pm
amother wrote:
op here:

I am going on shlichus, and my inlaws live there. does that change things

u have definitly given me all sides of teh spectrum.....

Are you me? I have the exact same story

Peanut2

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 5:40 pm
Resurrection of the dead.

piece

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 12:20 pm
thinking of relocating to SA. can anyone please let me know if it has gotten better in regards to safety. thank you.

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 1:39 pm
Check out the water situation. That scares me.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 3:05 pm
piece wrote:
thinking of relocating to SA. can anyone please let me know if it has gotten better in regards to safety. thank you.
No, it has not gotten any better, worse in fact.

ChavieMalka

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 3:08 pm
piece wrote:

Don’t do it.
Yes it’s a beautiful country and our standard of living is high, but we fear for our children’s safety every day.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 3:59 pm
ChavieMalka wrote:
Don’t do it.
Yes it’s a beautiful country and our standard of living is high, but we fear for our children’s safety every day.
ChavieMalka, can I ask, if you fear for your children's saftey every day, why do you stay?
We visit there every few years and I have to say, I think its a beautiful country, but would never in a million years live there and I am fearful the entire time we are there.

Keep safe.

ChavieMalka

Post Mon, May 28 2018, 2:09 am
It is very difficult for South Africans to immigrate unless you are very wealthy and can buy an Investors Visa.
I would move to America today!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics