Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Making too many mistakes
1  2  Next

queenyemk

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 12:00 pm
I work everyday from 9-4pm.
I get to work at 9.20 cause the babysitter doesn't open till 9-9.05am, then I gotta still walk 5 blocks to work. B"H I work in Crown Heights. Then I pick her up by 1/4 past.

My boss called me in today because I have been making too mini minor mistakes with the inventory which in a grand scale really does make alot of mistakes in the long run.
I am having trouble focusing at work.
I don't know how to not think about what I've got to do that afternoon, is dd okay at playgoup, what to do for dinner, laundry, cleaning, shopping, playing with her, getting to the bank, BILLS!!!!!
How on earth do I just focus on work and not let problems with MIL get into my brain and everything else.

I fell like I'm drowning. I am so tired that most nights I fall asleep nursing bubba to sleep at 7pm. I wake up at 11pm, put away dinner, try to get bags together, get into my pj's and get back to bed.
I actually fell asleep talking to my best friend on the phone in california last night and that was at 9.30, after I just woke up from falling asleep with bubba for 2 hours!

Spending time with dh is another story!!

Please help me. I feel like my job is on the line if I don't stop making mistakes. My boss told me to slow down and just work thru it slowly. I still just don't now how to do that.

thank you please just help me stand up!!!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 12:01 pm
the lawyer I work with also used to complain about me with my thoughts elsewhere.....

amother

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 12:41 pm
For one, being on Imamother at work can not be helping the situation.
Two, when I'm at work, that is what I'm doing and I make it as if nothing outside of work exsits at that time. It's not like I could take care of any of that stuff anyway while I'm at work. I guess it might be because I'm so busy that I'm lucky if I get to the bathrooom 2x in a day. Forget about a lunch break.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 1:16 pm
Oh, well, we didn't have intrnet at the time that lawyer complained.

Imhappy!

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 1:33 pm
It's ok.
It happenes to the best of us. we all have times we feel like we're gonna snap and then it gets better and we function very well.
seems like u're on a low now and that's ok. you have a little baby and you're tired.
however in order to keep your job you need to function and making lots of mistakes is not OK. work on yourself to switch modes work mode and home mode... this is easier said then done but there is no choice.
also it seems like you're sleep deprived try to cut corners so you get the sleep you need...

it's hard ((hugs)) and always remember this time will pass. Until then concentrate the best you can and give it your best....

and yes IMAMOTHER is not a good place to get rest! Wink

Buddy

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 2:09 pm
queenyemk, I feel for you. I feel so guilty when mistakes happen b/c I'm tired... Or it takes forever for s/thing to get done b/c I'm not really concentrating. Try to follow the advice fo your boss - slow down and just work thru it slowly, & check your work. Also, I find breaks are very important when you're tired... leave your desk for a couple of minutes, drink something, take a little walk & get some fresh air. And when you're at work, be there... worrying won't help anyway...

Good Luck!!!

Crayon210

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 2:54 pm
Maybe give yourself five or ten minutes to just sit and write down what's bothering you, what you're thinking about. Once it's on paper, you might find that you have room for other thoughts, I.e., what you're supposed to be thinking about.

(I do this at home, so I also make a schedule of when to do these things, and I have set times during the day and week to think about dinner/laundry/errands/bills, which allows me to ignore them the rest of the day/week.)

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 3:01 pm
queenyemk, it sounds like you have a nice boss, he didn't yell at you, just showed you where you were making mistakes. it's good of course for you to be conscientious and try to do the job right, but why do you get this feeling like your job might be on the line?

queenyemk

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 9:16 pm
Thank you everyone for your support - it got me thru the day!!

to the amother - I felt like you snapped my head off when I was really felling vunrable - thanks for making me feel worse! Sad SOmetimes you need to think when is it a good time to use criticism or just give it in a tactful uplifting way.

Quote:
Maybe give yourself five or ten minutes to just sit and write down what's bothering you, what you're thinking about

I logged into amother to vent when I felt like I was going to burst out crying - yeah it did help to let it all out here.
I have many admin jobs - and I was successful at all of them, I have never been told that I am doing a bad job or that things were going wrong. I have had major responsibility on my shoulders.

It just boils down to adjusting to being a mummy and working. I can't stop thinking about dd all day and if I am not deserting her for 7 hours a day. I can't not work as the store were dh was working closed down and I had to get a job fast to keep the family afloat while he finds another one.

Quote:
however in order to keep your job you need to function and making lots of mistakes is not OK. work on yourself to switch modes work mode and home mode... this is easier said then done but there is no choice.

HOW DO I DO THIS??? What methods have other people used?????

Quote:
slow down and just work thru it slowly, & check your work

I did that all day - even ran repots afterwards! Very Happy

Quote:
(I do this at home, so I also make a schedule of when to do these things, and I have set times during the day and week to think about dinner/laundry/errands/bills, which allows me to ignore them the rest of the day/week.)

do you mean that you actually have a plan of when you will do these things - or alloted times to freak out? Twisted Evil For either ones can you explain how you set this out??? Yeah I have really gotta learn how to schedule things - I am a go with the flow person and the flow has taken me over! Confused

Quote:
it sounds like you have a nice boss, he didn't yell at you, just showed you where you were making mistakes. it's good of course for you to be conscientious and try to do the job right, but why do you get this feeling like your job might be on the line?

boss = woman
manger - man
my boss is the most amazing woman in the world. she is over understanding. My manager said that he can't handle having an assistant who makes mistakes and having to go over things and if I keep doing it he won't have me there anymore - it freaked me out. my boss said that we just have to work it out and find a way to smooth into the transition more. she knows what it's like to be a mum and work!!

Thanks for the strength everyone!
Logging off to do the dishes and get ready for tommorrow - I managed to not fall asleep with bubba - I might have a shower in peace now actually YIPPPEEEE!!!!!

Crayon210

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 9:50 pm
queenyemk wrote:
Quote:

do you mean that you actually have a plan of when you will do these things - or alloted times to freak out? Twisted Evil For either ones can you explain how you set this out??? Yeah I have really gotta learn how to schedule things - I am a go with the flow person and the flow has taken me over! Confused

Both--I try not to allow myself to freak out for more than a certain amount of time, it just becomes time-wasting. The writing everything down so it's on paper, not in your head can be part of that, and make it a productive "freak out" time.

I have been using FlyLady of flylady.net to help with the organizing. I have morning, afternoon, and evening routines which I try to do every day, as well as a weekly plan (weekly chores, errands, bill paying, etc.), and on top of that a monthly plan (FlyLady focuses on one "zone" of the house each week, finishing all five of them each month).

This has helped MAJORLY. It means that there is a time to do dishes and a time to fold laundry. There's a day to pay the electric bill and a day to go food shopping. And there's a different day to make the shopping list! There's a week to worry about the living room, and a week to worry about the kitchen.

But the best part is that there are therefore times NOT to do the dishes and NOT to fold the laundry, there are days NOT to pay the electric bill and not to go food shopping. And there are weeks NOT to think about the living room and NOT to think about the kitchen. That part is extremely liberating.

It's a great system, when I do it well, it works well, when I'm less motivated, it works less well, but it's just wonderful.

If you have a few moments, check her out at flylady.net, or PM me.

Pickle Lady

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 10:12 pm
the fly lady suggestion sounds good.

Queeny you are doing great be proud of yourself. That is such a hard thing about working and being a mommy. Do fathers feel the samething when they are at work?

Crayon210

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 10:24 pm
Pickle Lady wrote:
Queeny you are doing great be proud of yourself. That is such a hard thing about working and being a mommy. Do fathers feel the samething when they are at work?

Great point!!

Oyster

Post Thu, Nov 09 2006, 1:01 pm

Last edited by Oyster on Thu, Apr 19 2007, 9:21 pm; edited 2 times in total

queenyemk

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 12:45 am
It's 3 months later and I just felt like posting an update cause I am really proud of myself....
the position I was in was not my forte at all.... I got a transfer to customer service and I love it.... it is much more laid back, from 10-4 and I feel in control.

I joined flylady and it has helped me so much with the babysteps... my husband is so happy to come home at night cause I am able to keep the house in order so simply and he understands that I work on one aspect of the house at a time.... the focusing on one room a week is not used... but 5 min room rescues are done everynight.... and it only takes 1/2 an hour in the end with dishes. once a week I tackle one major thing and it slowly disappears... I just declutter, declutter, declutter!
I also went thru a new recipe book and planned out meals for each night - and dh loves them, I make enough for lunch the next day.

as for the email most get deleted and I read a few - mainly the kitchen stuff!!!!!!

bubba loves playgroup, tatty works from 2-9pm so he takes her to school and spends time with her in the morning.

I just matured alot in the past thru months and priorited a lot in my life. I don't go on the internet often, watch a show every other day and just focus on making ahome and getting to work.

thank you so much for the support it really helped!!!!!!!

hopefully I will drop by more often (I was getting addicted to this place)

btw my new position does not have internet access on the comp. except to ups and our webpage so I just focus and I keep a peice of paper in my bag that I write a todo list on when something pops in my brain on work time!!

cl

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 10:33 am
kol hakovod queenyemk!
u deserve a big pat on the back, a hug an the rewards of a happy husband, bubba and happier you makes all the work wothrwhile.

this flylady sounds very good im going 2 check her out now but I agree with the list thing - thats what I do, an then when I have some spare time at work I go thru my list an see if any of the things can be taken care of, eg. my bank is right near where I work so at lunch I will pay my bills, or get the passport from fromt he post office or downlaod tips from Flylady!!!
The best part of lists is crossing the items off!

bigmomma

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 10:52 am
Queenyemk,

I feel for you. Could you perhaps get a part time job or a job a couple of days per week?

Your current job may be more hours than you can handle or just too buzy and crazy (full of pressure) at this point in your life.

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 10:57 am
queenyemk - you sound like you're doing better than top of posts - glad to hear - I think overworked people tend to go for more caffiene - so have a latte and do the best you can! Mr. Green

IBR

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 12:10 pm
good for you queeny yashar koach!!!

queenyemk

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 9:17 pm
ohhhh.......... embarrassed you guys made me blush but it has turned into a big smile now!!!!!!!! Very Happy Thanks for all the {{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}!!!

in response to you all....

flylady.net is where you reach advice to balance your life.

on my lunch I just eat and play some cards or computer game we have on the computer, or make a phone call. I only take a 20 min break cause I get paid by the hour. I have an allocated 1/2 but it's all I need. In this weather I don't really go out, but on warmer days I do get some air. The job is not stressful so I am much happier in the afternoons.

My hours are slices from 10am -4pm - does seem long, but being on the phone makes it go really fast.

greenfire - A latter dos sound great but caffiene gives me the jitters so maybe I'll grab a tea or some hot coco instread Wink

gonna finish dinner (dh doesn't get home for over another hour) and hang up the laundry to dry.

love yas {{{hugs}}}

Pickle Lady

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 9:29 pm
yippeee queeny!!!!!! enjoy the snow
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics