Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Lentil recipes

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Nov 03 2011, 5:07 am
Can anyone tell me different things that I can do with lentils (red ones)
I have a package of red lentils and I dont know what to do with it, other than soup.

shalhevet

Post Thu, Nov 03 2011, 5:08 am
Soup is delicious... you can make lentil loaf. I've posted the recipe before - I'll try and find it for you.

Lentil pie or cutlets

1 kilo red lentils
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 eggs
4 tbsp wheatgerm/ matza meal/ breadcrumbs (or as much as you need to hold it together)
tomato puree/ ketchup
parsley
salt and pepper

Cook the lentils for 10 minutes in boiling water. Leave to cool. Mix all ingredients together.
You can now either put into a baking tin, or fry as cutlets (tastier but less healthy and more work).
You can also add grated cheese to the mixture, or sprinkle grated cheese on top of the pie. (You can do this immediately after taking it out of the oven if you only have a parev oven.)
If you fry, coat in egg and matza meal or breadcrumbs.

Last edited by shalhevet on Thu, Nov 03 2011, 5:10 am; edited 1 time in total

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Nov 03 2011, 5:09 am
http://www.mayoclinic.com/heal.....00058

This is a favorite here. I can't see why you can't use the red lentils instead.

Seraph

Post Thu, Nov 03 2011, 7:17 am
shalhevet wrote:
Soup is delicious... you can make lentil loaf. I've posted the recipe before - I'll try and find it for you.

Lentil pie or cutlets

1 kilo red lentils
2 eggs
4 tbsp wheatgerm/ matza meal/ breadcrumbs (or as much as you need to hold it together)
tomato puree/ ketchup
parsley
salt and pepper

Cook the lentils for 10 minutes in boiling water. Leave to cool. Mix all ingredients together.
You can now either put into a baking tin, or fry as cutlets (tastier but less healthy and more work).
You can also add grated cheese to the mixture, or sprinkle grated cheese on top of the pie. (You can do this immediately after taking it out of the oven if you only have a parev oven.)
Looks yummy! Does it hold together nicely when you fry it, or is it a loose pancake that breaks easily?

Seraph

Post Thu, Nov 03 2011, 7:19 am
http://www.pennilessparenting.......html

Yummy easy red lentil recipe that I got from Tamiri.

shalhevet

Post Thu, Nov 03 2011, 8:30 am
Seraph wrote:
shalhevet wrote:

Lentil pie or cutlets

1 kilo red lentils
2 eggs
tomato puree/ ketchup
parsley
salt and pepper

Looks yummy! Does it hold together nicely when you fry it, or is it a loose pancake that breaks easily?

It holds together, but you need to put in enough thickener. Truth is I haven't fried it for years, so I hope I'm remembering. I usually just put it all in the oven.

Ani

Post Thu, Nov 03 2011, 9:01 am
If soaked for a few hours or overnight, lentil seeds become soft and sprout a bit. They then could even be eaten raw, added to salad. Very healthy and rich in iron.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Nov 03 2011, 11:19 am
Lentils do not have to be soaked.

I have a recipe for very nice lentil curry (dal), you can adjust heat.
1/2 teasp whole cumin seeds
1 tbsp oil
4-5 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
fresh ginger roots, peeled and chopped finely (about the size of the first digit of your thumb)
2 medium onions, chopped
2 medium carrots, peeled/trimmed, cut in half or quarter lengthwise, sliced thinly.
1 rib celery, chopped
2 cup red lentils, checked
1tbsp garam masala/curry powder
salt & pepper

In a large pot, toast cumin seeds briefly to release aroma. Add oil, garlic, ginger and vegetables, sautee till onions are soft (can be caramelised a bit). Add lentils, and just enough water to cover lentils. Add garam masala/curry powder, season. (You can also add a bit of tomato sauce, tamarind paste, chili peppers, soup powder). Cook covered for about 45min to 1hr over a low flame till the lentils are completely cooked. I like mine a bit soupy, reduce water or cook the latter bit uncovered if you want it thicker. Serve with rice or with naan. This freeze/reheats well.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Nov 03 2011, 11:26 am
Ani wrote:
If soaked for a few hours or overnight, lentil seeds become soft and sprout a bit. They then could even be eaten raw, added to salad. Very healthy and rich in iron.

Wouldn't it be only for whole lentils? Red lentils I see are split in half.

Another lentil recipe--this one is milky. (BTW the dal above will serve 6-8 as sides).

Cheese and lentil bake

* 2 cup red lentils, checked
* 3 large eggs, beaten
* 3 tbsp breadcrumbs (matza meal would do)
* 1 1/4 cup grated cheese
* 2 tomatoes, sliced

Cook lentils in a pot with 2 cups of water for 45min or so till it gets COMPLETELY mushy.
(You may have to add water to avoid scorching, but you don't want to make it too liquidiy).
Season with salt and pepper. (You can add paprika, turmeric, rosemary, oregano etc).
Butter/oil an ovenproof casserole (about 5cup capacity rectangular or oval ones). Once cooled,
add beaten eggs, breadcrumbs and 1 cup of cheese to the lentil mush and mix well.
Pour into casserole. Lay sliced tomatoes on top, sprinkle cheese on top.
Bake in 160C oven for about 30-40min till cooked through. (It will be soft.) Serve with plain green salad.

OutATowner

Post Thu, Nov 10 2011, 6:53 pm
This may look weird but it is SO good and filling. I eat it in a sandwhich with whole wheat bread, you can add lettuce or whatever you want and it is a full, satisfying meal. Try it! I wanted to replace some of the oats with an egg to hold it together, (fewer calories). I'll let you know how it goes.

Lentil Burgers
1 cup lentils
4 cups water
1 1/2 cups quick oats
3/4 cup salsa
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Place the lentils in 4 cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until done. Poor off excess water. Allow to slightly cool. Next add oats through pepper to the lentils and mix thoroughly. Place in the refrigerator and allow to cool completely. When ready to make, scoop out about 1/2 cup servings, form into a patty and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes, flipping after 30 minutes.

dee's mommy

Post Thu, Nov 10 2011, 7:33 pm
Oooo, I just made the Chilean Style Lentils from Spice and Spirit page. (They are very yummy.)

1 cup lentils
1 stalk celery
3 Tbsps. oil
1 large onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, diced
1 green pepper diced
1 large tomato, chopped
3 Tsb. chopped fresh parsley or 1 Tbsp dried parsley
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp. cumin

Place lentils in pot. Cover with water. Add 1 stalk celery (Note: Celery nullifies the gaseous reaction to beans and aids digestion.) bring to a boil. turn flame down, and simmer about 30 minutes.

In a in a 10 inch skillet, in 3 tablespoons oil, saute for 5 minutes, onion, garlic, green pepper, tomato, parsley, and oregano. Add the paprika and cumin. Saute and stir occasionally until soft and lightly browned.

Drain lentils. Add the sauteed mixture to the lentils. Stir until well mixed, then serve.

Variation: Dairy: Sprinkle top with grated cheese.

I also posted a recipe about a year ago called "Koushari." There seem to be a lot of such recipes on the internet, which I haven't tried. It's worth looking at, because it is very good.

Soul on fire

Post Thu, Nov 10 2011, 10:23 pm
this is my all time favorite lentil recipe, it calls for green lentils though and I am not sure if red lentils would stay whole or turn to mush for this.

1 cup uncooked green lentils
4 cups water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced small
1 green pepper, diced small
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoon salt
8 oz can tomato sauce (I substitute chili sauce for this)
1/4 cup tomato paste
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon yellow mustard

4 to 6 kaiser rolls or sesame buns (optional – for serving)

Put the lentils in a small sauce pot and pour in 4 cups water. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, until lentils are soft. Drain and set aside.

About 10 minutes before the lentils are done boiling, preheat a medium soup pot over medium heat. Saute the onion and pepper in the oil for about 7 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and saute a minute more.
Add the cooked lentils, the chili powder, oregano and salt and mix. Add the tomato sauce and tomato paste. Cook for about 10 minutes.

Add the maple syrup and mustard and heat through.Turn the heat off and let sit for about 10 minutes, so that the flavors can meld, or go ahead and eat immediately if you can’t wait.

http://www.theppk.com/2009/11/snobby-joes/

IamI

Post Fri, Nov 11 2011, 3:37 am
I've made both the lentil burgers and lentil loaf from Seraph's website with red lentils and they were amazing!!! Thank you Seraph.
The burgers I serve with honey wheat rolls, dressing and cut up veggies and you'd never guess it's lentils Smile
and btw there are whole red lentils though generally they're sold split

Ilovechoumous

Post Fri, Nov 11 2011, 5:17 am
chop and fry an onion,
add a whole lot of chopped parsley (or cusbara)
boil lentils, drain

add lentils to onions and parsley, fry a little bit longer

once its done, pour techina over it, more fresh chopped parsley for garnish
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking