Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
College for masters in social work

healthywoman

Post Mon, Nov 07 2011, 4:05 pm
looking for options of masters program for social work.

adelphi is too expensive
anything else?

looking for something in ny, affordable perhaps a cuny, 2 yr program, offering scholarships/aid, and preferably not a huge thesis lol

yaeli83

Post Mon, Nov 07 2011, 4:13 pm
YU has a program, wurzweiler school of social work. there are three ways to do it. You can go for two years like a regular college and get the degree, you can do a work and learn program, which takes a little longer but you have half day of working (at whatever job you want, I think) and half day learning, which makes it more affordable, or the third option is that you can do three summers where you have 8 weeks of classes all day, and the two years in between you do your interntinship for 20 hrs a week. the other hours of the week you can work or do whatever.
The last option is a really good option for people with families, or ppl not living in ny. you can do your two years of internship in any state and almost any country. A lot of American's living in Israel do this.

they have scholorships, but of course its a private school so its expensive with out the schalarships.

nylon

Post Mon, Nov 07 2011, 4:51 pm
Hunter?

ellie23

Post Mon, Nov 07 2011, 5:35 pm
the cheapest school in new york is SUNY stonybrook (the campus is in nyc). it is 4200 dollars a semester. CUNY Hunter is only slightly more at 5200 per semester. other schools are fordham, NYU,YU,Columbia,LIU, and Touro- however these schools are more expensive as they are private institutions. good luck!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Nov 07 2011, 5:39 pm
an education is pricey, everyplace.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 07 2011, 9:53 pm
I'm a social worker. I went to NYU and found the education to be very clinical. I heard terrible things about wurzweiler. Mainly that it is run by crazy people and offers limited choices in terms of classes and professors. I know people who switched from YU to NYU because of that and found it to be a world of a difference. But these schools are expensive and frankly, social work is not paying very well these days so you kinda wonder if it's worth it. Hunter is cheap and offers a good education as far as I know. It's hard to get into though.

Post Tue, Nov 08 2011, 1:01 am
Where is Stonybrook program in NYC?

shabri

Post Tue, Nov 08 2011, 3:14 am
Hunter is the cheapest and best program, but the hardest to get into.

I went to Adelphi and 10 yrs later am still paying off my loans. Its not too bad though only $150/month

amother

Post Thu, Aug 02 2012, 6:52 pm
Looking for info on the Touro MSW program please.
May transfer as a 2nd year student. (Approved already.)

amother

Post Wed, Aug 08 2012, 8:30 am
I am currently at Touro.
Where r u transfering from?

amother

Post Wed, Aug 08 2012, 8:52 am
What are the requirements to get into touroo?

Houseofmen

Post Mon, Aug 13 2012, 6:06 pm
Ive just completed my MSW and am looking for employment. Something I wish I knew before I went into the program- go to a school that aggressively helps you look for a job. After you graduate, it's who you know in terms of getting a job.
Seriously. I would do it all over again if I knew of a program that actually helped you get a job. In terms of training- you can pay for supervision to get additional clinical knowledge. A lot of it is paperwork, paperwork, paperwork. I don't think it matters what school you go to- again, as long as you can benefit from some connections.

Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics