Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Calling health dept on frum kosher store
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 9:21 pm
I noticed today that there was an item on sale at the kosher store by us that was expired by a week and a half...all the items were expired and no where on the sale tag did it say expired. The item was tiger sauce which is prob ok but do u think I sould call? I did say something to the manager. Maybe I will have someone check and see if they are still out tomm and if not call

ElTam

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 9:41 pm
I would call the va'ad ha kashrus first.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 9:42 pm
Why them?

spring13

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 10:35 pm
I'd take a look around to see if it's a common problem. And yes, if I saw more than the occasional violation in a store or restaurant, I'd call, frum owner or otherwise.

imasinger

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 10:43 pm
What is tiger sauce?

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 10:49 pm
the health department is not coming out for food expired by a week. cockroaches, mice, rats, employees not washing hands (no soap in bathrooms) those are reasons to call. just mention it to a manager.

chocolate chips

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 10:51 pm
chanamiriam wrote:
the health department is not coming out for food expired by a week. cockroaches, mice, rats, employees not washing hands (no soap in bathrooms) those are reasons to call. just mention it to a manager.
ITA.

Why would you want to put a frum yid under inspection if everything in his store is ok just something is out of date....obviously it was on sale and you noticed WHY it was on sale (well done you!)
If you see something not on sale, out of date, maybe moldy with rat droppings all over THEN I would call health dep.

DrMom

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 10:54 pm
I'd check around and see if it was a common occurence or a one-off. Either way, I'd point it out to the manager and see how he reacts before going to the Health Dept.

Raizle

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 11:46 pm
amother wrote:
I noticed today that there was an item on sale at the kosher store by us that was expired by a week and a half...all the items were expired and no where on the sale tag did it say expired. The item was tiger sauce which is prob ok but do u think I sould call? I did say something to the manager. Maybe I will have someone check and see if they are still out tomm and if not call

A one off?
it sounds like a one off because you haven't told us this is a common occurrence.

why would you report them? why would you want to make trouble for anyone let alone a fellow yid?

Every now and then I find something wrong with a product in the grocery, I pick the product up and discreetly go over to the sales person or manager and show them. The response is usually "thanks for pointing that out, I'll remove it from the shelf"
(and no I do NOT double check up on them the next day to see if they did it. That sounds like you are looking to get someone in trouble.)

Unless this happens regularly AND they ignore you when they tell them, put it down to human error and live and let live.

I can't understand the question otherwise.

groisamomma

Post Thu, Nov 17 2011, 12:10 am
Raizle wrote:
amother wrote:

A one off?
it sounds like a one off because you haven't told us this is a common occurrence.

why would you report them? why would you want to make trouble for anyone let alone a fellow yid?

Every now and then I find something wrong with a product in the grocery, I pick the product up and discreetly go over to the sales person or manager and show them. The response is usually "thanks for pointing that out, I'll remove it from the shelf"
(and no I do NOT double check up on them the next day to see if they did it. That sounds like you are looking to get someone in trouble.)

Unless this happens regularly AND they ignore you when they tell them, put it down to human error and live and let live.

I can't understand the question otherwise.

Well said.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 17 2011, 12:23 am
This was not a one item thing it was about 60 bottles clearly labeled with a 12 day past experation date on "sale" regardless for the fact it could cause someone to get sick

MrsDash

Post Thu, Nov 17 2011, 12:27 am
This happens at Stop and Shop quite often. One time they had teas on sale, and my husband bought over 20 bottles. (He LOVES that brand!) When he got home, I noticed that they didn't look "right." They were all the same flavor, but more than half were a different color than the others. I checked the dates, and sure enough, they were well passed their expiration. We brought it back to the store, and they put it back on the shelf. Good thing I took pictures of the bottles before returning them, because it helped when I called the company to complain.

DrMom

Post Thu, Nov 17 2011, 12:31 am
amother wrote:
This was not a one item thing it was about 60 bottles clearly labeled with a 12 day past experation date on "sale" regardless for the fact it could cause someone to get sick

That is one item -- one type of item. When I said "one-off," I meant one product, not one single bottle of one type of item. Do they do this with lots of products on a regular basis?

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Nov 17 2011, 12:35 am
I don't understand why your first instinct is to report them.

Look, it's one thing if you went to the manager and showed them the problem and two days later it was still on the shelves, you complained to the manager again and it still wasn't rectified two days later... Then I could see complaining to The Man.

But give them the opportunity to fix the problem first.

And as DrMom clarified, one-off means one product... do they have shelves full of expired foods?

Post Thu, Nov 17 2011, 12:40 am
I find in the biggest kosher supermarket here they have stuff out of date for months. I bought frozen vegetable sushi, ate it and got sick. It was out of date nine months. I noticed some desert I bought was also put of date by months. I told DH and he said to let it go. I can't shop there because.I wonder about their prepared foods. Who knows how old the ingredients are that they use?

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Nov 17 2011, 12:44 am
Squishy wrote:
I find in the biggest kosher supermarket here they have stuff out of date for months. I bought frozen vegetable sushi, ate it and got sick. It was out of date nine months. I noticed some desert I bought was also put of date by months. I told DH and he said to let it go. I can't shop there because.I wonder about their prepared foods. Who knows how old the ingredients are that they use?

Except nowhere did you say if you complained to the store or not.

Raizle

Post Thu, Nov 17 2011, 2:03 am
amother wrote:

like others explained that's not what we meant by one off or by one item.

if the shop keeper made a mistake, then they will make the mistake with the whole lot. It's not as if they will remove some from the shelf and leave the rest. If they forget then they forget the whole lot.

point it out to them and you will see most likely they will be like "oy, I was meant to remove that, thanks for reminding me"

I don't know what tiger sauce is but most items that don't need refrigeration aren't likely to make you get sick after a week past the date. the date is only a recommendation and often given earlier then the expected time in order to protect themselves.

sorry but I really think it's over the top to allready be talking about reporting them. Reporting is something you do for a chronic problem

aside from common courtesy of giving a person a chance to fix their mistakes there are serious issurim against causing someone to lose money. which is what happens if they are told to pay a fine

it's not a nice midda to tattle tale

Last edited by Raizle on Thu, Nov 17 2011, 2:50 am; edited 3 times in total

Raizle

Post Thu, Nov 17 2011, 2:13 am
assdf

Post Thu, Nov 17 2011, 2:27 am
YESHASettler wrote:
Squishy wrote:

Except nowhere did you say if you complained to the store or not.

Yes I did. I asked for my money back for the two items. I was told I needed the receipts. I came back to the front desk with another bag of the frozen sushi also out if date. No go. I did not even get an apology. I also had to wait half an hour for a manager.

This is the biggest most modern supermarket in my town. I was so frustrated.

Strawberry2

Post Thu, Nov 17 2011, 2:58 am
The store that I tend to do my shopping at has lots of products expired or almost expiring. I don't go shopping there when I'm in a rush as I need to check every label.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics