Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Pet goat... anyone have one..am I crazy?
Previous  1  2

Ruchel

Post Fri, Nov 18 2011, 7:26 am
Be careful: neutered animals come with health issues, sometimes also depressional issues!

Violet123

Post Fri, Nov 18 2011, 7:44 am
ruchel, are you talking about all neutered animals? male or female specifically? we're looking into getting a young, small dog, and they are mostly neutered or I thought are supposed to be - do u know more info about this?

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Nov 18 2011, 8:50 am
I'd love a goat. And a few other animals. But where I live you need to have a full acre minimum to own any sort of farm animal. So look into the laws where you live first. If it's okay, why not? Just do your research and really think it through. You don't want to be listing the goat on craigslist yourself a couple weeks later.

mama-star

Post Fri, Nov 18 2011, 9:37 am
I totally wanted a goat (for the milk) but my husband wouldn't let. it would have been a great pet, too. I wouldn't mind having chickens also. I'd be the coolest mom in the neighborhood.

ClaRivka

Post Fri, Nov 18 2011, 10:00 am
I wanted a goat so my husband doesnt have to mow the lawn. If the annoying neighbor complained abt the tall grass in the backyard lets see her reaction to a goat!

bigsis144

Post Fri, Nov 18 2011, 10:07 am
My MIL grew up in Brooklyn with a goat in the backyard... this was back in the 1950s/1960s. Her brother is allergic to cow's milk and had other nutrition/weight issues, you couldn't just buy goat milk in the store, so they got a goat!

Digression: When my mother was on kibbutz when she was in her twenties, they had a goat. And until this day, my mother asks me not to name any of my daughters Malka because that was the goat's name! LOL

Fox

Post Fri, Nov 18 2011, 10:09 am
One of my DDs is convinced we could make a fortune breeding teacup piglets. I've pointed out the obvious halachic problems, but she's sure there must be some way around them.

As for goats or cows, one of my friends with several teenage boys claimed they drank so much milk that she was going to apply to The Heifer Project for a cow.

spring13

Post Fri, Nov 18 2011, 10:14 am
amother wrote:
Yeah......

maybe not Smile

seems like our backyard isnt large enough. We do have farms around here so finding a vet wouldnt be an issue but I guess piles of manure might be lol but what should I expect with a farm animal. Oh well no pet for us for now. Our dream pet is a cat, both my husband and I grew up with cats but now he's allergic Sad

what about something like a rabbit? you could work out some backyard living space (a fenced in area for it to play during the day, if not a heated hutch).

Fox

Post Fri, Nov 18 2011, 10:18 am
bigsis144 wrote:
Digression: When my mother was on kibbutz when she was in her twenties, they had a goat. And until this day, my mother asks me not to name any of my daughters Malka because that was the goat's name! LOL

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

This story really made me smile! But now I have a huge problem: every time I hear the name "Malka," I'm going to think of a goat!

chavs

Post Sat, Nov 19 2011, 1:01 pm
spring13 wrote:
amother wrote:
Yeah......

maybe not Smile

seems like our backyard isnt large enough. We do have farms around here so finding a vet wouldnt be an issue but I guess piles of manure might be lol but what should I expect with a farm animal. Oh well no pet for us for now. Our dream pet is a cat, both my husband and I grew up with cats but now he's allergic Sad

what about something like a rabbit? you could work out some backyard living space (a fenced in area for it to play during the day, if not a heated hutch).

A rabbit can tunnel under a fence so you'd need to dig a fence into the ground.

I'd love a goat or a small cow for milk after reading this I decided not to though: http://www.rspca.org.uk/allabo.....goats

We have 3 chickens, 2 cats, 1 rabbit and a few fish.
The easiest to maintain are the cats and the chickens. Both of these are very rewarding as well.

The cats are great at catching mice and spiders (even small ones) and can be very affectionate. Cats dont need walks and because they can go out they generally dont even use the litter tray so I dont have to deal with their pooh. We did get one spayed and the other castrateted for their own sake and other's sake which cost money but is worth it.
A lot of people are worried about issues when they get pregnant but the only issue is with the mother touching the pooh and she could get her dh to do that. There is NO issue with touching the cat itself.

Chickens are very rewarding too. In the summer we get an egg from each of them every day and they come running to us when we go out to them. They are quite fun and each have their own personalities. We do have to clean their hutch every week and sweep the part of the garden where there is stone/decking because they poop everywhere and its pretty gross to step in. We also wash it down once a week. IT doesnt get smelly if you keep it clean and the cleaning itself doesnt take that long either. ITs just not very nice work. They are very rewarding though and the eggs are so delicious, much richer then ordinary free range eggs that you buy.

rovacat

Post Sat, Nov 19 2011, 1:58 pm
Both my brothers have goats. It's slot of work. They smell and milk isn't always a given. It's a big commitment but if you love it then it's worth it. Mybrothers love their goats and the kids lOve them. I think they're gross and it's hard for me to drink their milk. EveryOne has their own thing.

chavamom

Post Sat, Nov 19 2011, 6:34 pm
We have an indoor, literbox trained rabbit. They make nice indoor pets.

Sherri

Post Sat, Nov 19 2011, 6:37 pm
Fox wrote:
One of my DDs is convinced we could make a fortune breeding teacup piglets. I've pointed out the obvious halachic problems, but she's sure there must be some way around them.

As for goats or cows, one of my friends with several teenage boys claimed they drank so much milk that she was going to apply to The Heifer Project for a cow.
OOC, what are halachic issues breeding pigs?

ra_mom

Post Sat, Nov 19 2011, 6:53 pm
chavamom wrote:
How did you train your rabbit?

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 20 2011, 3:56 am
Not all rabbis allow pet pigs.
As far as I know in Israel the problem would be bigger (it would have to stay inside, not walk outside).

I do think teacup pigs are a good parnasa, if you can handle their breeding. Such delicate, tiny animals have difficult pregnancies and birthes. The most sophisticate the animal, the more it will need "interventions" all around. Some dogs have a 90% c section rate... anyone going into breeding should be aware it involves death sometimes and it ain't always pleasant. It's also lots of money as you may want to do a planned c section or even, for real, IVF for the best animals who happen to have issues...

My rabbit self trained. Much easier than a kid Wink

chanahlady

Post Sun, Nov 20 2011, 8:29 am
Sherri wrote:
Fox wrote:

That's my q. AFAIK, we are allowed to derive benefit from pigs, we just can't eat them.

chavs

Post Tue, Nov 22 2011, 2:07 am
ra_mom wrote:
chavamom wrote:
How did you train your rabbit?

Rabbits are actually very easy to train. Our cat is inside and litter trained as well. I I took a news paper that she had peed on anda few of her poos and kept putting it in her litter tray so she could smell it and eventually she started to only using the litter tray. For a while she did it kind of patchily as in she started using the litter tray but would also use the floor but after a while I noticed a pattern to her littertray use. When there were over a certain amount of poo in it she didnt use it so I empty it a few times a day which is very quick to do.

She does chew just about everything though and we had to strip the wallpaper after she chewed part of it off where she could reach and we obviously cover any exposed wires. She destroyed quite a few things that we left in her reach such as dh's hat, headphones, a pair of shoes, she has chewed the corners of our sofa cushions at the top and many other things. I dont know how other ppl do it (Chavamom-how do you manage with your rabbit?) but she is quite cute and a sweet pet. I'd say that if anyone wants to get a rabbit they should do some rabbit proofing first.

chavamom

Post Tue, Nov 22 2011, 8:00 am
Yes, rabbits are really easy to train. They usually have a spot they like to use anyway. You put a box there, fill it with liter and timothy hay and within a day or two, voila, trained. My sister actually brought home her daughter's class rabbit last winter break and assumed it was trained. It wasn't. I think she thought maybe they didn't send home the box with the cage and bought one. Anyway, she never really did anything except change the box daily. When she took the rabbit back at the end of vacation, they were thrilled that she had "trained" him. She still laughs about how she didn't do anything except what she googled for "how to care for a rabbit" and she gets all the credit for training him.

Fox

Post Tue, Nov 22 2011, 8:34 am
chanahlady wrote:
Sherri wrote:
Fox wrote:

That's my q. AFAIK, we are allowed to derive benefit from pigs, we just can't eat them.

You might be correct; I haven't fully investigated the whole idea. As Ruchel said, breeding is a whole different ballgame from pet-owning. Plus, can you imagine me trying to get anything done in the house while pigs snorted around my feet. They are adorable, but I think I'll let someone else make his/her fortune in the piglet business!

(Of course, just watch! You'll see an article in a few years in Mishpacha about some forward-thinking entrepreneur who is now a major g'vir in his community on the basis of his teacup pig operation!)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets