Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Hand-me-down underwear
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Thu, Nov 09 2006, 6:57 pm
Do you use underwear from one child to the next (the bottom ones) or do you buy new ones? Asking because my friend thinks I'm crazy that I think hand me downs from one to the next are kinda gross.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 09 2006, 7:01 pm
In theory, it's gross, but in practice, it's normal. Think of how close siblings are... Think about when you were growing up.... We shared baths, we shared spoons-- and you know what, sometimes when I couldn't find my underwear (when I was 4, gimme a break!!), I just took from my sister...

Nothing wrong with it. But there's a point when underwear gets worn out, the elastic goes bad, or it gets wholes, then it's time to replace.

And also depends what age. When girls get their periods, the time to share underwear is long over!!!

shoy18

Post Fri, Nov 10 2006, 6:10 am
Its not even about being gross, which I think it is. Could you imagine yourself as a 7 yearold getting a siblings underware, its bad enough they rarely get new clothes but not even new underware, thats awful

Raisin

Post Fri, Nov 10 2006, 6:17 am
Of course I get my girls new underwear, but it often gets mixed up if it is very similar, especially when they choose identical sets!

shopaholic

Post Fri, Nov 10 2006, 6:28 am
Uch! I never pass down underwear. We never did as kids either. That & shoes. I do save baby socks (0-3 & 3-6) as they don't walk or crawl yet.

chen

Post Fri, Nov 10 2006, 6:29 am
It doesn't usually last that long, but why not, as long as it's sanitized, in good condition and not really horribly stained? It gets all mixed up in the wash and they end up wearing each other's things, anyway.

Nomad

Post Fri, Nov 10 2006, 7:27 am
as long as its clean - whats the big deal? everyone here wears the same underwear after its washed

chedva

Post Fri, Nov 10 2006, 8:34 am
What's the big deal? If it is clean, why not? It is fine until a certain age. I think that girls will on their own throw out stained underwear if they are embarrassed, even before it hits the machine.

yoyosma

Post Fri, Nov 10 2006, 9:10 am
Well, my girls have a huge age break between them so I dont keep them. I also dont keep tights from girl to girl either. I was told that the elastics would not work anyway if I decided to do it.

ChavieK

Post Fri, Nov 10 2006, 9:34 am
My boys even "trade" underware. One got the kind that the other one likes so they take turns. Makes a mom proud!!! LOL

S.Shcwartz

Post Fri, Nov 10 2006, 9:55 am
What's wrong with sharing shoes? My 2 yr old wore his first pair of $80 shoes for exactly six weeks. You bet my one yr old is wearing them now, it looks brand new. and $80 is alot of money. I never spent that amount for myself!

bandcm

Post Sat, Nov 11 2006, 2:35 pm
Actually, shoes should not be shared, not because it´s gross, but because it´s not healthy for the foot.
Every person has a differently shaped foot, and the shoe molds to fit that shape. When someone else wears that shoe, it can make the foot grow crooked.
But underwear? No problem!! I remember one of my sisters telling another, I can´t wait till these knickers get too small on you, I love them!

shalhevet

Post Sat, Nov 11 2006, 2:42 pm
What's the problem?

You own a washing machine, don't you? shock

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 12:17 am
Quote:
Every person has a differently shaped foot, and the shoe molds to fit that shape.

I agree.

Quote:
When someone else wears that shoe, it can make the foot grow crooked.

The shoes we buy are also not molded to the shape of our own feet. Confused Does it make any difference if I have to fit my foot into a new shoe that is not my shape, or to fit it into a second-hand shoe that has been molded into a different shape by someone else? Scratching Head

shalhevet

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 12:28 am
Ribbie Danzinger wrote:
Quote:
Every person has a differently shaped foot, and the shoe molds to fit that shape.

I agree.

Quote:
When someone else wears that shoe, it can make the foot grow crooked.

The shoes we buy are also not molded to the shape of our own feet. Confused Does it make any difference if I have to fit my foot into a new shoe that is not my shape, or to fit it into a second-hand shoe that has been molded into a different shape by someone else? Scratching Head

Yes it does, because a new (leather) shoe will mold into the shape of the person's foot and an old shoe won't do that. It can ruin children's feet to wear hand-me-down shoes (apart from slippers, plastic/rubber boots and maybe Shabbos shoes).

I can't afford not to hand down clothes (underwear included Smile) but I make it a priority to buy each child new shoes.

S.Shcwartz

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 8:19 am
My kid wore these shoes for SIX WEEKS how shaped could it have gotten?

ChavieK

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 8:54 am
At that age it could cause problems if the child really wore it a lot for 6 weeks.As kids get older it's less of a problem. That's why like mommyof6 wrote shabbos shoes would be ok.

bandcm

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 11:29 am
Exactly, Mummyof6. When I was growing up, in my family, there were many children and not much money, but leather shoes were never passed down, even if the child wore them for a month and grew out of them.
Yom Kipur shoes, some sneakers and Wellingtons are alright to pass down, because they´re not leather and don´t mold to the foot´s shape.

de_goldy

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 11:33 am
Same here. Lots of hand-me-down clothes, never hand me down leather shoes.

Side question, why would you buy $80 shoes for 2 year old??

S.Shcwartz

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 12:25 pm
I know, sick. "They" all told me that my baby needs the best italian shoes if not, who knows what'll happen....Anway, I learned. I found an "italian" shoe store for cheap and bought my kid a very trendy nice shoe for $25! Proud of it!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics