Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Hand-me-down underwear
Previous  1  2  3  Next

ILOVELIFE

Post Wed, Nov 15 2006, 11:58 am
I'm not up to the stage of underware but I prob wld buy new.

GAMZu

Post Tue, Dec 05 2006, 8:47 pm
Quote:
Every person has a differently shaped foot, and the shoe molds to fit that shape. When someone else wears that shoe, it can make the foot grow crooked.

1. How much time does a kid spend in shoes already that it should affect the foot growth?
2. 75% of the time, the shoes are on the wrong feet anyway. So what's the big deal?

About underwear, my kid who is trained wore the first set of undies for less than a month. They're almost brand new. Of course, if it's stained or torn or stretched, I'd get rid of it. I plan on handing down undies until my kids get old enough to decide on their own if they don't want to wear used.

Esther01

Post Tue, Dec 05 2006, 9:33 pm
my oldest is 4 years old and I have two more girls after her. I buy for my oldest underwear and it goes from her to the next and to the next. from her underwear size 3 months to her size 4 panties. I don't see the issue (as long as it's in wearable condition)

mumoo

Post Tue, Dec 05 2006, 9:36 pm
bandcm wrote:
Actually, shoes should not be shared, not because it´s gross, but because it´s not healthy for the foot.
Every person has a differently shaped foot, and the shoe molds to fit that shape. When someone else wears that shoe, it can make the foot grow crooked.

unless they were worn so little that they didn't really form to the foot yet. if they still look new, no creases or worn spots, they are probably ok

amother

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 12:55 am
growing up, my sister and I sometimes shared and then when I became ld enough that I was near my mother's size, I even shared with my mother.

whats the big deal? you put them in the waching machine and then they are clean.

greenfire

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 11:51 am
I'm the type of person who would think share underwear GROSS - But that's why we're always buying underwear. I hate to do laundry and this way can never run out of something important. Because of this underwear when my kids were younger stayed in very good condition + I had 2 kids (although 3 yrs apart) who wore same size. Now that the girls are bigger mostly not - but in an emergency they will borrow from each other. Boys however I think are an entirely different story I just think they should be burned far away from where humans live. I tell my son if he wears a white shirt once it can be washed, 2x we have to bleach & scrub, 3x in the garbage.

mumoo

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 1:52 pm
greenfire wrote:

Boys however I think are an entirely different story I just think they should be burned far away from where humans live. I tell my son if he wears a white shirt once it can be washed, 2x we have to bleach & scrub, 3x in the garbage.

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

my boys use to wear their underwear (cleah b"H) on their heads. When baby sister was walking, they put underwear hats on her too.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 1:54 pm
I have a baby/children's gemach. As new and clean as underwear may be, if it is not packaged, no one would take it-even people who would take used from someone they know.

I heard from a children's resale store owner that her friend was saying how icky it is to wear used clothes. She asked her friend if she ever sleept in a hotel. "Do you think they buy new sheets for you?"

and we know how often they wash the blankets and shampoo the rugs there...

bottom line with used clothes-if they are clean, with no stains, fresh not faded/worn/pilled (or new) I keep them in the gemach and people take

Tefila

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 3:06 pm
Quote:
Do you use underwear from one child to the next (the bottom ones) or do you buy new ones? Asking because my friend thinks I'm crazy that I think hand me downs from one to the next are kinda gross.

I agree there too. If it is a desperate situation one is so poor that they can't afford to buy ,well then it perhaps calls for desperate measures. But I wouldn't resort to that if I had a choice uuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggh Exclamation

Esther01

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 3:14 pm
the thought of buying new underwear didn't even cross my mind. if my older one's are in good condition and she grows out of the size, it just goes into the storage box of all her stuff of the size and when my next dd reaches that size we take the box down and whatever is in good fitting condition my next one wears. underwear, tights, socks, clothes, pjs you name it.

cookies'n'milk

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 4:53 pm
S.Schwartz,just wondering which ''Italian'' shoe store you have found?I'd love to check it out!

Rivka

Post Mon, Jan 01 2007, 4:45 pm
Do you know why they have a plastic thing on the crotch part of swimming wear and if you take that off you cannot return them? It's due to everyone having different bacteria. Underwear I would never share, no matter how well you think you wash them...how hot do you wash your underwear? Hotels wash their sheets properly and change them regularly, underwear has direct contact with your private parts and you wear them everyday, they generally won't even last a year anyway just being worn by one person.
Same goes for bras. Don't share them as the elastic wears out.
Shoes should not be shared either especially for children as their feet are growing and they are more delicate than people give them credit...they have to hold your whole body weight for your whole lifetime, ruining them early in life doesn't give you much chance when you are older.
New shoes always feel uncomfortable and there is a "wearing in" period. Already used shoes will not be able to be "worn in" as they already have a shape.

mumoo

Post Mon, Jan 01 2007, 7:25 pm
Rivka wrote:
Hotels wash their sheets properly and change them regularly, underwear has direct contact with your private parts and you

pardon my directness-hotels may wash their sheets "properly" (I also use hot water) but if you think they do not have 'direct contact with........um well,'
Hotel sheets???
embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed

BinahYeteirah

Post Mon, Jan 01 2007, 9:27 pm
I would definitely hand down underwear, at least until the child is old enough to have an opinion about it. I guess the type I buy (although it's nothing fancy) wears well, because the ones my second daughter has that she got from my first still look good and have plenty of wear left. I have a "sanitize" setting on my washing machine and it is the type of machine that heats its own water. The water is BOILING on that setting, so I do not worry about cleanliness from one child to the next. I agree that if you'd stay at a hotel, or even at a friend's house, used underwear is not so different. You aren't generally exposed to anything that will harm. Of course, some people just mentally don't like to do it, but that doesn't mean that it is actually unsanitary.

anon

Post Mon, Jan 01 2007, 9:41 pm
I do not see the big deal in siblings sharing underwwear. I would never take used underwear from someone else, but between siblings? please, siblings share each other's food, take baths together, I just don't see the big deal. In certain situations where the siblings are close in age, the underwear probably gets mixed up anyway (just like socks!).

I feel like ppl like to make mountains out of molehills.

malkie

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 12:34 am
Hello, when I was a teenager (and still now) my friends and I would share clean underwear in a pinch...for example, if I slept over my friend's house unexpectedly, or forgot to pack underwear. What's the big deal? The water in the machine gets super hot.

hadasa

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 3:35 am
I guess everyone's different - I don't even have separate underwear for each child - I would go nuts trying to keep them separate. I have big-boys'-underwear (ages 11-12) and little-boys'-underwear (ages 4-7). The same goes for socks, undershirts and tzitzis. My girls are farther apart and the youngest is a baby, so they don't share - yet.

cl

Post Wed, Jan 10 2007, 7:40 am
I have borrowed clean underwear from a close friend if I needed it. or if she bought the wrong size an maybe wore it once.
DS is still in nappies (diapers for u americans) but in the same way I stored all his vests (undershirts for americans) socks, pjs etc that were in good condition I guess I will do the same with his underwear. My washing machine has a very hot wash setting - 95degrees - which I dont use for underwear every time but if I was putting it away for another child I wud prob use that option.

mummy-bh

Post Wed, Jan 10 2007, 9:32 am
cl wrote:

DS is still in nappies (diapers for u americans) but in the same way I stored all his vests (undershirts for americans) socks, pjs etc that were in good condition I guess I will do the same with his underwear.

I keep EVERYTHING that is still in good condition!!

My poor baby wears vests and socks that have been worn by 5 previous kids! My 5 y.o. was VERY excited last week to get a brand-new skirt, - she is well aware that it came out of a storage box and has been 'gently used' by her 2 older sisters.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 10 2007, 10:13 am
You mean, new to her.

I wouldn't want to buy, say, a frying pan on ebay and find out it's "brand new to me".
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics