Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
What is your background?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

which choice best describes your backround?
chasidish- lubavitch  
 39%  [ 39 ]
chasidish- other  
 9%  [ 9 ]
sefaradish  
 2%  [ 2 ]
litvish  
 23%  [ 23 ]
other  
 26%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 99

deedee

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 7:47 pm
I went to bais yaakov high school, bais yaakov sem, but very close to lubavitch. married a lubie so I guess that makes me one too!

Tefila

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 7:49 pm
Quote:
for this community- litvish means people not affiliated with the yeshiva. they do not wear black hats, and are more closed to chassidim

Yep, that was my father many many moons ago also he had no beard! Very Happy

happy

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 8:57 pm
maybe I should add yeshiv"ish" as one of the options. did I leave out any other "ish's"??? LOL

amother

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 9:32 pm
Quote:
the yeshivish are a bit more "heis" hot- and wear b;ack hats and know more about chassidim.

In our community the term litvish describes frum black-hatters, who are not chasidish.

There are litvish yeshivish and litvish baal habatish, but they all are frum and are associated with a shul.

Motek

Post Fri, Apr 08 2005, 11:02 am
I agree with amother's categorization but still wonder what the hush-hush anonymity is about Confused

gryp

Post Sun, Apr 10 2005, 1:14 pm
what is this poll really asking? I think we need a new poll: "what did you answer the last poll? where your parents came from, where you come from, where your husband comes from, what you are now,...."

meesi

Post Mon, May 09 2005, 5:25 pm
Having been raised "traditional", I am only now becoming shomer shabbos, etc. I think that the biggest "surprise" to me so far has been the divisions between Orthodox Jews. I am not sure what to make of this. Is there a special significance to labelling oneself as associated with a certain movement? I thought we were all Jews who were more or less observant of Jewish law. I always knew that Sephardim and Ashkenazim had some different traditions, but never realized that there was conflict between various Orthodox groups. Makes me kind of sad...

Chana

gryp

Post Mon, May 09 2005, 5:39 pm
hi C.Chana, I also think it is sad. I guess that when something is so close to your heart, it is more worth fighting over. thats why it so important to emphasize ahavas yisroel, love for one fellow Jew, and to remember that we are all from one family.

meesi

Post Mon, May 09 2005, 6:13 pm
RG,

That is what I find so heartbreaking. The rest of the world has more than enough contempt for us- why should we allow ANYTHING to divide us as Jews. I still believe that above all else, the best way to fulfil Hashem's will is to treat others as you would like to be treated. If we can't even apply that to our fellow Jews, how can we claim to be "holier than thou"? Just my (saddened) opinion...

Chana

gryp

Post Mon, May 09 2005, 6:29 pm
C.Chana- you are absolutely right. Chassidus discusses- which mitzvah is more important: to love Hashem or to love your fellow Jew? the answer is that loving your fellow Jew is more important than loving Hashem! the reason is because you are loving who the One you are commanded to love loves. (since Hashem loves each and every Jew)

Mod2

Post Mon, May 09 2005, 7:51 pm
Canadian Chana you are so right!
But in truth we are all ONE UNITED FRONT, since both in times of trouble and times of joy we all rally next to each other and would do anything to help a fellow jew.It's only the nitty gritty stuff that sometimes we get caught up in!

SWatson

Post Tue, May 10 2005, 1:39 am
BT - public school all my life, jews started showing up in my life around high school time

sarahd

Post Tue, May 10 2005, 7:10 am
Interesting. How did they "show up" in your life?

lucky

Post Tue, May 10 2005, 10:15 am
During wwii, denomination didnt matter. A yid is a yid.
kol yisroel araivim ze...
it really doesnt matter where you come from, what matters is where you are today.

Pearl

Post Tue, May 10 2005, 10:24 am
well said lucky!!!

nicole81

Post Tue, May 10 2005, 12:14 pm
I'm a bt; my husband is from a chassidishe background. we are both modern now.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 02 2006, 6:24 am
I'm just curious about the demographics... in different cities we've lived in we've davened at everything from MO to Chabad to Young Israel to "Yeshivish" places. Philosophically probably more MO/Young Israel, in observance more yeshivish. I'd like to say that we are yeshivish in observance b/c we've grown over the last decade, and that's partially true, but another larger part is that there are some things we've taken on b/c we live in a more yeshivish community and we want things to be easy for our children.... So put us in the "just plain frum" camp.

rosehill

Post Thu, Feb 02 2006, 12:10 pm
Check out this "Orthodoxy Test"
http://www.nerdtests.com/mq/take.php?id=200
Obviously, it's meant to be a joke, and the author's bias becomes obvious, but it's fun.
Interestingly, my dh and I took this test separately, and answered all but 2 questions identically.
We came out too varied to belong to any category, which is just as I like it. As many have said, we're all Jews, and there's way more that unites us than divides us.
But, like I said, the test is fun!!!

timeout

Post Thu, Feb 02 2006, 12:22 pm
Raised Philadelphian Jewish my mother is Israeli my father real Philadelphia American accent and all.

Went to Bais Rivkah CH for High School than Sydney Sem.

Married a non Lubavitch Chassidishe guy from an International family everything but Lubavitch (Ger, Skverer, Bobov, Boyan)

I guess I'm just Jewish 8)

Crayon210

Post Thu, Feb 02 2006, 12:23 pm
In response to those who said "why label", I think that it's good to define oneself as long as it doesn't lead to negativity. But it is important to know who I am and why I do the things I do that are different from other Jews. When people walk into my home, they know that I'm a Lubavitcher. And when people walk into other people's homes, they probably can tell which group they identify with as well.

I have met people with absolutely no derech. They like to say, "I'm just Jewish." This is theoretically very nice, but as frum Jews, we need poskim, schools, shuls, and standards, among other things, that will differ based on our differing philosophies and ideas. This does not mean I think we need separate sections of the bus. It does not mean I think we need to segregate ourselves from others.

But it does mean we need to look at ourselves and say, why do I do what I do? Where am I holding? What are my values and beliefs? And based on that, a spiritual community can be chosen.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics