Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Wow. Just noticed this section
1  2  Next

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Nov 27 2011, 10:45 am
I only just noticed this section. I need to spend time here because I am ONLY interested in healthy recipes.
See you health nuts around.

Tova

Post Sun, Nov 27 2011, 11:21 am
Welcome CM!
Believe it or not, this actually created a big controversy when I suggested this subforum - see the thread I started a few months ago in Announcements.

Good reminder for us all to make this subforum more active. I'm on a health kick too.

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Nov 27 2011, 11:47 am
I am always on a health "kick". My mother drummed it into me about making every calorie count and making healthy choices. It's a challenge with the kids but I'm really working on it. My husband God bless him, recently decided that we won't be buying white bread any longer (Israeli "lechem achid"). The kids hated the idea but slowly slowly, we are getting them to eat w.w. He buys all kinds till they find something they like for their sandwiches.
Right now I have a barley/kasha/brown rice thingie cooking on the stove and a healthy fish dish (with spices, fresh garlich and chopped parsely) in the oven.

Tova

Post Sun, Nov 27 2011, 11:58 am
Yummy!
It's lunchtime here and I am heating up brown rice, garlic green beans and spiced chicken cutlets.

joy613

Post Sun, Nov 27 2011, 12:00 pm
Tova wrote:
Yummy!
It's lunchtime here and I am heating up brown rice, garlic green beans and spiced chicken cutlets.

Tova, can you please post you garlic green bean recipe? thanks

gryp

Post Sun, Nov 27 2011, 12:05 pm
Thank you for this section.

I'm looking forward to any gluten-free, egg-free, dairy-free recipes.

Della

Post Sun, Nov 27 2011, 2:41 pm
I'm really new to this, but am interested. Could someone post a week's worth of menus, along the lines of the "What is your menu this week?" thread? TIA. Maybe recipes too? Smile

tikva18

Post Sun, Nov 27 2011, 2:52 pm
Monsey Mom wrote:
I'm really new to this, but am interested. Could someone post a week's worth of menus, along the lines of the "What is your menu this week?" thread? TIA. Maybe recipes too? Smile

My weekly menu is pretty boring - and not too sure if it qualifies for being in this forum..

I rotate each week so we don't get too repititious.

Sundays: eggs made to order, buckwheat pancakes or waffles, or make your own night

Mondays: Shabbos leftovers - no rotation

Tuesdays: ground meat night - rotations are: homemade sloppy joes (no canned sauce), sweet and sour meatballs with brown rice, or spaghetti and pasta (rice or wheat depending on if it's for a gf person) - spaghetti sauce is onion, garlic, carrots, zucchini, mushrooms, celery, turnips, tomatoes, + sauce, along with seasonings along with ground meat, fat having been drained...

Wednesdays: chicken pieces in homemade bar-b-que sauce over brown rice, soup night, homemade chinese stir fry, pasta and sauce with bean dish on side (I don't make this the same week I do spaghetti - since I don't want pasta two nights in a row).

Thursdays: (here's where I get disqualified for posting here) nitrate free hotdogs, beans...

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Nov 27 2011, 6:54 pm
a lot of my recipes belong here, but since my time on this site is limited, are not going to be transferred her - not by me, anyway.

greeneyes

Post Mon, Nov 28 2011, 11:14 am
Monsey Mom wrote:

Good idea! Smile

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Nov 28 2011, 4:41 pm
My kids won't eat brown rice or any healthy grain, for that matter.... I envy you moms that can make that work.

tikva18

Post Mon, Nov 28 2011, 4:56 pm
ChossidMom wrote:
My kids won't eat brown rice or any healthy grain, for that matter.... I envy you moms that can make that work.

And what if you don't offer an alternative?

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Nov 28 2011, 4:58 pm
They won't eat.

tikva18

Post Mon, Nov 28 2011, 5:12 pm
ChossidMom wrote:
They won't eat.

How old are they? and, believe me, I've been around the block with a child who won't eat Sad However, I think he may be an extreme situation.

We don't keep white bread in the house at all, although bagels sometimes come in.

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Nov 29 2011, 3:13 am
We just got rid of our white bread. Some kids don't eat bread anymore.
They won't eat anything besides white rice or potatoes, though.

chizuk

Post Tue, Nov 29 2011, 3:21 am
what a great topic, thanks for pointing out the importance of eating properly and showing it can be done

chizuk

Post Tue, Nov 29 2011, 3:28 am
ChossidMom wrote:

whole wheat spagetti when cooked and added to sauces you really cnat tell the difference.
I mix whole wheat with white in the beginnig chocholate/vanilla noodles, (depends on how old the kids are)
lasagna, they never could tell I used whole wheat (shh dont tell them) the same goes for couscous.
KIDS ALSO TEND TO EAT WHAT THEY SEE THEIR PARENTS EATING
hatzlacha
also when using bread crumbs as fillers use whole wheat bread. grilled sanwiches in teh sandwich maker are toastier and sweeter with whole wheat. it needs to be gradual

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Nov 29 2011, 3:41 am
Wrong. My kids are big - 14, 11, 8 and 4.

They only eat what they like and they don't like eating whole grains like Mommy.
what you said works for 2 year olds.

chizuk

Post Tue, Nov 29 2011, 3:55 am
ChossidMom wrote:
Wrong. My kids are big - 14, 11, 8 and 4.

They only eat what they like and they don't like eating whole grains like Mommy.
what you said works for 2 year olds.

thats why I asked what ages they are.
you are correct, teenagers eat what they want, the 4 year old probably wants what his older siblings eat.
to tell you to rid the house of junk and non whole grains would be hypocrytical (cuz I cant even do that)
what is you change one thing? like the lasagna noodles(if you make lasagna)
I started using rubinfeld (if you live in israel) 85 whole wheat, rest white. it is a drop heavier but no where near whole wheat flour
I actually bake with it, things withchocolate, chocolate cake, chocholate chip cookies, no white cake recipe its gross. brownies, sauces, thickeners, sneak it in. cake isnt the best but we all eat it so make it with healthier flour

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Nov 29 2011, 4:11 am
I bake only with 70% whole wheat flour or spelt flour.

My issue is with the white rice and my kids' refusal to eat kasha, barley, brown rice etc.

Also, they have sadly gotten used to sugar with everything - oatmeal, french toast etc.

We are currently experimenting with different store bought whole wheat breads and I'm hoping that they'll find one they like.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking