Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Partially unhealthy or totally healthy
Previous  1  2

spring13

Post Sun, Nov 27 2011, 9:15 pm
I do what I can, whenever I can. I like cane-sugar soda Smile

HindaRochel

Post Sun, Nov 27 2011, 11:19 pm
Substitute where one can.
However, honey really isn't all that more healthy than sugar.
http://www.drmirkin.com/nutrition/9875.html

But whole wheat flour is, generally, better for a person than white flour. It does have more protein etc.
I would worry more about the flour than the sugar.

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 28 2011, 1:52 am
Seraph wrote:
Assuming you are making a food that uses an unhealthy ingredient, do you bother making the rest of that food healthy? Like if I am making challah with white flour, should I use honey instead of white sugar, or is that pointless already?
And if I'm making semolina cereal, is it silly to use honey instead of white sugar, because as it is, I'm using refined grains, etc...
I kind of feel sometimes like who am I trying to kid, as it is the food is unhealthy, might as well make it all the way, that switching the types of sweetener is just silly...

Yea, I know 100% healthy is best, but if the base of what you're serving is already unhealthy, do you bother trying to make the rest of it healthier?

Yes, I do. It's not an all-or-nothing proposition. For one thing, I don't consider white flour "unhealthy" in the same way as saturated fat is unhealthy--it's just less healthy than whole-grain and not great if it's all one ever consumes. but in any case, why should one ingredient dictate the others? That makes as much sense as saying, aw, drat, I didn't exercise today, may as well pig out, drink to excess, drive without a seatbelt, and say something nasty to a Hell's Angel about his parentage.

Inspired

Post Mon, Nov 28 2011, 2:07 am
zaq wrote:
For one thing, I don't consider white flour "unhealthy" in the same way as saturated fat is unhealthy--it's just less healthy than whole-grain and not great if it's all one ever consumes. .

For most people. For some people white flour is healthier.

Seraph

Post Mon, Nov 28 2011, 2:18 am
HindaRochel wrote:
Different shitos. In my books, anything processed is automatically less healthy.

Quote:
But whole wheat flour is, generally, better for a person than white flour. It does have more protein etc.
Yea, but cooking with white flour is easier than whole wheat. Like when I'm making a challah just for my husband for shabbos and I don't want it to be icky, sometimes I just throw together something with white flour, because its cheaper and I can play it by ear but whole wheat is much more finnicky. And then I think, well, if its already white flour, might as well not waste my honey on that one...

alwaybhappy

Post Mon, Nov 28 2011, 2:37 am
when I make cookies, I use ww flour- it takes good also and even though there is lots of sugar...at least it has the ww flour which breaks down into fiber as opposed to breaking down into sugar. I also always replace the margarine for oil and it always works fine.

Shopmiami49

Post Mon, Nov 28 2011, 4:25 am
Lol, this reminds me of my friend who makes whole wheat, deep fried sufganiyot filled with regular ole' sugary jam and caramel.

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Nov 28 2011, 6:50 am
Seraph wrote:
HindaRochel wrote:
Different shitos. In my books, anything processed is automatically less healthy.

Quote:
Yea, but cooking with white flour is easier than whole wheat. Like when I'm making a challah just for my husband for shabbos and I don't want it to be icky, sometimes I just throw together something with white flour, because its cheaper and I can play it by ear but whole wheat is much more finnicky. And then I think, well, if its already white flour, might as well not waste my honey on that one...

I think it is six of one and half a dozen of the other. If you can make it a bit more healthy go for it. Like I said, I'd worry less about processing...anytime you cook or alter a food substance you are processing it...and more about the overall picture. I don't think even challah with sugar is going to make a break ones health unless there is a specific cause (ie allergy or addiction.)

Still if you can add some whole wheat flour in and honey rather than sugar if that pleases you (or just go with a salt Challah...) then why not think of it as adding good stuff?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking