Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Give me a Break

ny21

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 5:54 pm
Do you get a morning break ?

or / and a afternoon break?

I think the law is 15 minutes morning and afternoon?

I have a hour lunch

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 7:03 pm
Are you Union? If so, a break is mandated. otherwsie,it's up to the chessed of your employer.

ny21

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 7:05 pm
I thought it was the law - that you get a 15 minute break .

I once worked for Isreali -s in a childrens clothing store in B.P

and they docked my pay for each 15 minute break I took .

ny21

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 7:18 pm
I am not in a union .

Flowerchild

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 7:26 pm
there is some sort of law that you are allowed to take a break, I think its actually 30 min.

This law is for a meal break
NY = 30 minutes if shift is 6 hours or more; an additional 20 minutes if shift starts before 11 AM and goes beyond 7 PM, mercantile; 60 minutes, factory.
Under 29 CFR 785.18 (Code of Federal Regulations) breaks of five to twenty minutes must be paid by the employer while, for a meal period to be unpaid, has to be at least 30 minutes uninterrupted by work. Note again, however, that federal law does not mandate breaks or meal periods.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 10:18 pm
Lily, I'm pretty sure that's for Union employees only.

Flowerchild

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 10:35 pm
I dont think so, today everyone is allowed some sort of break, no normal human being can go the entire day without a single break or lunch, thats redicilous. anyone I know who works for big companies or small companies and do not belong to a union have lunch breaks, some places even ask you to take lunch breaks and they do not belong to a union.
people who belong to a union are mostly government workers, such as teachers, MTA workers, postal survice workers, etc. etc. there are private unions but they are pretty small. so a lot of people do have and are allowed ,lunch breaks.

el2cg

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 10:42 pm
I have a half hour lunch break although I work only part time. I don't usually take it. I usually get some lunch and eat at my desk. I get interrupted with work. I think I have a half hour only because when I cut my hours, I was nursing and needed the time to pump!

Marion

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 8:26 am
Technically I have a 1/2 hour lunch break, and I'm SUPPOSED to have time to pump/nurse. In practice, I'm lucky if I get away from my desk to the bathroom, and there's nowhere tznius to pump. So I usually hide out in the restroom twice a day for about 10 minutes.

Chaya123

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 12:37 pm
I work full time and have 1/2 hr lunch break. It's very little but can't help it.

rise above

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 1:47 pm
I work full time and have a 1/2 hr to an hr lunch break. I don't even know official which one it is, but for sure you Have to take a 1/2 hr, and you Can take up to an hr.

ny21

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 8:25 pm
do you get paid for your lunch hour>????

Crayon210

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 8:38 pm
I once had a job (non-union) that gave a 15 minute break if I worked four or more hours per day, something like that. It was not the chessed of the employer, I believe it was the law.

el2cg

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 8:48 pm
yes, I get paid, but I should cuz I work and eat at the same time!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics