Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Recipes for "Different" Vegetables
1  2  Next

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 9:49 am
I feel like we eat the same six or so vegetables all the time, and I'm looking for something new, different, but still relatively healthy. Here's what we eat on a regular basis, cooked:

Carrots
Sweet potatoes
Squash
Broccoli
Green beans
Zuchinni

We also eat cucumbers and peppers, raw.

What else can I use? Does anyone have interesting, GOOD recipes using "different" vegetables like parsnips or something? Oh, we do eat beats sometimes too, and they're really good. Sweet and juicy, surprisingly.

TIA!

StrongIma

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 9:58 am
you can add kohlrabi to soup and fennel make a great fresh salad.

gryp

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 9:59 am
How about roasting a mix of potatoes, sweet potatoes, turnips, parsnips, and carrots? My kids love that.

baba

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 10:08 am
How about cutting the above into thin strips and make chips.

shoemaker

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 10:36 am
beets
avocado
eggplant
all kind peppers
corn

Raisin

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 10:39 am
pak choi stir fried with garlic.

if you have asian markets near you check what interesting veggies they have.

peas. fresh or frozen.

justcallmeima

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 10:50 am
I make stir fried vegetables pretty much every night. Sometimes mushrooms onions and zucchini, sometimes with tomoatoes, sometimes frozen brocolli and cauliflower. Sometimes I make a vegetable soup with a base of lots of fried onions, then add whatever vegetables I have in the freezer (carrots, spinach, whatever) and let the soup cook for a couple of hours, then ''Zhoooom'' it. (purée it in the food processor) My kids and hubby LOOOOVE that!! We can get very nice organic colourful crunchy or buttery lettuce here with a great hechsher, so salad is always on the menu. My family also loves ratatouille- which is basically onions, mushrooms, zucchini, eggplant and tomatoes cooked over a low heat for a long time. I dunno, we eat tons of different vegetables every day! Sometimes carrots, celery, and peppers with dip, babagnouch, guacamole, the list goes on. Hope this is helpful.

spring13

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 11:22 am
Leeks are a delicious addition to soup.

The cauliflower popcorn recipe in Kosher by Design Entertains is AMAZING. And there are other ways to do cauliflower.

Peapods (especially in the summer, when they're in season) are delicious.

I have a really good quinoa salad recipe that involves fennel.

Seraph

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 11:45 am
Radish, beets, and fennel sliced up small (all raw), and seasoned with lemon, honey, oil, salt, and scallions makes a very delicious salad.

Fennel seasoned with oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper also makes a delicious salad.

You can bake cabbage wedges and serve it with a cheese sauce or tomato sauce.

Cabbage salad with homemade mayo, honey and lemon juice, or with soy sauce, oil, lemon juice, honey, and scallions.

Stir fry with cabbage, peppers, carrots, zucchinis, eggplants, mushrooms, with a soy sauce or peanut butter based sauce.

Creamed spinach.

Tomato salad with basil.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 11:51 am
Seraph -- could I have the creamed spinach and the fennel recipes?

Are peapods and corn considered vegetables? I always figured they were starches.

Raisin -- Isn't it hard to figure out which things need to be checked for bugs and how to do it?

I also can't do cabbage or cauliflower because of the bug issue. (I only splurge every one in a while on Bodek broccoli because I love broc kugel.)

Gryp -- Do you put any spices on them? How long do you cook them for? I need real directions, otherwise they never turn out right.

Thanks, all!

Seraph

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 12:16 pm
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
Seraph -- could I have the creamed spinach and the fennel recipes?

Creamed spinach- saute onions and garlic, either in oil or butter. Add spinach; if fresh, cook until soft, if frozen, cook until defrosted. Add milk, cream, coconut milk, or whatever, nutmeg, pepper, and salt.

Fennel recipes, just add to taste. Sorry, no exact recipes. Just slice the fennel thinly.

DrMom

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 12:26 pm
Roasted beets. Wrap beet wedges together w/a scant sprinkling of kosher salt and a sprig of rosemary in heavy foil, roast at high temp (400F) until tender.

How about butternut squash?

Or peas sauteed with some onions and Italian seasonings?

Steamed artichokes?

Asparagus marinated in a soy/balsamic vinegar/oil mixture?

greeneyes

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 12:34 pm
Molly's Quite Surprising Mashed Parsnips

2 lbs. parsnips (about 6 medium ones, approx 8 inches long, 2 inch diameter - Try to get small or medium parsnips as the giant ones tend to have a tough inner core.)
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp. balsamic vinegar (or to taste)
1/2 tsp. salt (or to taste)
freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Put up a large saucepan of water to boil.

Meanwhile, peel the parsnips, and trim and discard ends. Chop them into 2-3 inch pieces.

When water boils, add the parsnips and cook for about 10 minutes or until very soft. Ushe a slotted spoon to remove them from the water, shaking out the excess and transfer them to the work bowl of a food processor. (Remove the pot of water from the heat, but don't dump it out yet.)

Add olive oil, veingar & salt to the parsnips and process until very smooth. If they seem a bit dry, add a little of their cooking water. (If you don't have a food processor, mash well with a fork or potato masher. I personally used a handblender.)

Season to taste with black pepper (correcting the salt & vinegar along the way, if you choose) and serve hot or warm.

This was really good!

From: Vegetable Dishes I Can't Live Without by Mollie Katzen

greeneyes

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 12:44 pm
A few other ideas, let me know if you'd like any of the recipes

-roasted root vegetables from Kosher palette (sweet potatoes, acorn squash, carrots, parsnip etc.) Yum!
-oven roasted tomatoes with onions & peppers (delicious!!)
-roasted asparagus
-roasted eggplant
-I recently made "glazed root vegetables", a crock pot recipe from KBD short on time & it was a hit, especially with my kids, which was a pleasant surprise. It had beets, parsnip, sweet potatoes, carrots etc.
-there's a recipe for creamed parsnips with spinach in the latest KBD cookbook which I plan on trying in the next week or so. It looks good.
-I make a stir fry with kohlrabi, red pepper, fresh mushrooms, sugar snap peas etc which is good
-you might find some ideas on this thread: http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....rt=20 (I posted two roasted veggie recipes on page 2 which are both great)

ra_mom

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 1:35 pm
tri color vegetable fries, make with beets, parsnips, and sweet potatoes

brussels sprouts poppers

sugar snap peas and carrots julienne

cauliflower popcorn

kale chips

radish salad

parve creamed spinach

corn on the cob (vegetable?)

butternut squash latkes

any roasted frozen veggie mix

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 2:25 pm
Thank you for all of the extra ideas! Greeneyes, could I have the creamed parsnips and roasted eggplant (which I always hated as a kid, but I'll give it a try now)? Thank you so much!

Ra_mom -- tri-colored fries, what a great idea! And I could see the kids and dh liking that too! Any ideas of which seasonings to use on the fries? And oooh, could I have the butternut squash latke recipe? I'm assuming it uses the frozen boxes?

Wow, I'm all excited to try some of these out! If anyone has a mroe exact creamed spinach recipe, that would be great...

Seraph

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 2:39 pm
http://www.foodnetwork.com/rec......html

Here's a more exact creamed spinach recipe. You can leave out the shallots, use frozen spinach instead of fresh, and use milk instead of cream if you want, but otherwise leave the recipe as is.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 2:46 pm
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
Thank you for all of the extra ideas! Greeneyes, could I have the creamed parsnips and roasted eggplant (which I always hated as a kid, but I'll give it a try now)? Thank you so much!

Ra_mom -- tri-colored fries, what a great idea! And I could see the kids and dh liking that too! Any ideas of which seasonings to use on the fries? And oooh, could I have the butternut squash latke recipe? I'm assuming it uses the frozen boxes?

Wow, I'm all excited to try some of these out! If anyone has a mroe exact creamed spinach recipe, that would be great...
The veggie fries are a real hit with the kids. We love them sprinkled with kosher salt. Yum!
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....ramom
http://www.joyofkosher.com/rec.....ries/

We enjoyed the butternut squash latkes last Chanukah
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....art=0

ra_mom

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 2:48 pm
I make creamed spinach with frozen spinach, and an oil based white sauce.
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....inach

We also love spinach dip on Shabbos, or tossed with pasta.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 3:08 pm
How do you shred the squash? It's impossible to peel!

I was hoping I could use frozen squash...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking