Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Did you ever have to buy Treif on the job?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Flowerchild

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 4:59 pm
you are perfect crayon and noone else is. I think the reason why choc is saying that, is when you work in a certain type or enviorment where people probably couldnt care less of what you keep, and to keep your job and not get in to trouble unfortunetly you have to go buy things that you wouldnt. people who work in high places are often subject to that.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 5:02 pm
choc moos
I am a working mom and I concur with crayon

amother because I like to keep those details about myself anonymous

Crayon210

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 5:04 pm
Lillyofthevalley wrote:
you are perfect crayon and noone else is. I think the reason why choc is saying that, is when you work in a certain type or enviorment where people probably couldnt care less of what you keep, and to keep your job and not get in to trouble unfortunetly you have to go buy things that you wouldnt. people who work in high places are often subject to that.

I didn't say anything about being perfect. That was ... rude and uncalled for.

I don't care where you work, if something is questionable, you ask a rav. If the rav says no, it's no. I don't buy into all this shtus about getting into trouble to keep your job, etc. If it's assur, it's assur, and doing the right thing is worth more than your job.

Piper

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 5:09 pm
meow *hiss*

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 5:10 pm
I'm not sahying she's wrong, anonymous amother and crayon....

I'm just sayhing that we live in an imperfect world and sometimes things happen that we don't like, that's all.

like - halachically, etc.

Flowerchild

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 5:11 pm
[quote] rude and uncalled for.[quote]

put this under your signature because you seem to be using this a lot lately, its like your defence.

and I am sure people do ask and in most cases a rabbi will probably say that if it will cost your parnassa then you have to do it, talking from experience. this is what happenes when you work for non jewish employers.

Crayon210

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 5:12 pm
I try my very best not to allow things that go against halacha to happen. Meaning, I don't just "go with the flow" about things, I ask questions. Is this kosher? Is that permitted? Can I do that? Etc.

It's not a perfection or a holier than thou thing. I thought most frum people do that. Confused

Piper

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 5:12 pm
When I used to work, I sometimes had to fetch food for the boss peoples. It is not like I was going to eat any of it.

Crayon210

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 5:13 pm
That wasn't the issue I was raising.

Mitzvahmom

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 5:24 pm
I remember one time there was a guest doctor, that I knew kept kosher...etc...

So I made sure to prepare for them to order from a kosher catering company... I was excited I might actually beable to eat the lunch..

He called and said he will eat a salad at any restaurant, so to not go to such trouble...I was a bit upset, because he called my Rabbi and asked where they could eat.. My Rabbi called me and gave me the catering companies... oh well

P.S. this is not where I am working now... B"H kosher food all the time where I am now, not always cholov yisroel...but oh well

amother

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 5:42 pm
Is it assur to serve a Jew treif or procure treif for a Jew if it's "on the job" and you can't avoid it without losing the job??

Such as an office manager who is sent on errands-- like getting treif sandwiches for a meeting of JEWS-- or even just a treif lunch for the JEWISH boss? Or if you're babysitting for a Jewish family and you're supposed to heat up and give the JEWISH kid treif????

Crayon210

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 5:43 pm
Ask a rav...

Ozmom

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 6:15 pm
Lillyofthevalley wrote:

and I am sure people do ask and in most cases a rabbi will probably say that if it will cost your parnassa then you have to do it, talking from experience. this is what happenes when you work for non jewish employers.

oh cmon
what day and age do we live in???. Nowadays the boss has to respect these things and cannot force you to go against your religion, especially if its just to get some food. I've heard that sueing is a big thing in the states so my guess is if a person gets fired for refusing to enter a treif resteraunt to buy her boss lunch or for a meeting, then she or he can sue.
unless thats the line of work the person is in, in which case.............................
............................................................ask a rov! lol

Last edited by Ozmom on Mon, Nov 13 2006, 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 6:15 pm
I don't think crayon works because she is on here all day.

Crayon210

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 6:19 pm
And I don't think amother does anything because she's too busy thinking about what I'm doing. Rolling Eyes

amother

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 6:22 pm
And I don't think amother does anything because she's too busy thinking about what I'm doing.
Quote:

oooooohhhhhhhhh dissssssssssssssssssssss

Ozmom

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 6:22 pm
Quote:

And I don't think amother does anything because she's too busy thinking about what I'm doing. Rolling Eyes

no she is too busy looking for a hiding place

squawk squawk

Last edited by Ozmom on Mon, Nov 13 2006, 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 6:26 pm
I don't think you're allowed to buy treif for a Jew.....I really don't!

Not under normal circumstances anyway.

Tefila

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 6:40 pm
Quote:
I don't think crayon works because she is on here all day.

Then what about me and chocolatemoose and u amother Rolling Eyes

You know I too didn't know ones allowed to do that b/c a) maras eiyin and b) don't put a stumbling block in front of a blind in this case possibly a hungry person oneself.

Also choc didn't you say in another thread your boss is frum or is it his cleaning staff that you are buying it for Confused

Flowerchild

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 6:51 pm
Ozmom youll be suprised not all places have respect for that, my husband works in that world and so does my bro in law and a bunch of other people I know, while the employer respects that you eat only kosher or that you have jewish holidays to keep, they dont always care whether or not you cant buy non kosher food for them or go on important meetings which are held in non kosher places all the time, they dont cater to one or two jews who work in the office it just doesnt work that way unless you work for a frum jew. my husbands work place had a thing which was mendetory to attend for appearences and it was held in a non kosher place, he had to go, so what did he do, he just didnt eat there he got maybe a drink and plain salad, thats all.

dont be so dilutional ozmom in thinking that the whole world gives a hoot of whether or not you keep kosher, most emplyers will respect your religion to an extent and if its not worth it for them to keep you or hire you because of your many religious things they wont care. its all about money and work ethic if you work for non jewish employer, its bussines thats how it works. maybe some places care and some dont.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions