Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Chicken pox
1  2  Next

Yc18

Post Fri, Apr 30 2004, 10:37 am
what do you think about giving the chicken pox vaccine?
is it worth paying around $80 CAD for it? (I think its about that much)
"To give or not to give? that is the question."
TO users in other countries besides Canada, do you have to pay for this vaccine? what's the story with it?

miriam

Post Sun, May 02 2004, 9:53 pm
In America, it's covered by insurance. If the child does not get chicken pox on his own by 8-9 years old, then you should give it. We haven't given our kids the vaccine becasue there is not enough long term data. We don't know its effects when the child becomes an adult.

Yc18

Post Mon, May 03 2004, 12:23 pm
what you said about there not being enough long term data isnt a negative factor b/c the japanese are 20+ years ahead of us, and by the time our children become adults we will have seen already whether the vaccine offers protection as an adult. the worst thing that can happen is that the effectiveness of the vaccine will wear off and a second vaccine will be required. the same way one of the standard vaccines now(tetanus I think) requires a booster shot every 10 years.
if you think about it there is no reason not to give the vaccine, the worst potential side effects are not as bad as the complications that can happen from getting chicken pox. I found an interesting article written by a doctor on the subject I can email it to you.
I would definitely give it if its free. but since I have to pay for it thats why I am hesitating.

micki

Post Thu, May 06 2004, 9:27 am
, you should hesitate for more reasons than just the cost. The effectiveness of the vaccine is unproven in long term. For a boy, its not as big a deal as for a girl. If a boy gets chicken pox as an adult, then while uncomfortable it can not harm anyone else. but for a girl to think she is protected, then chas vesholom while pregnant the chicken pox flares up it can be dangerous if not dealdly for an unborn child. more than that, when adult are living amongst children that have had the LIVE vaccine, they are automatically protected against having shingles. The vaccine does not offer this protection. (for adults)
if you find the disease let me know- I really want to infect my girls!!

L

Post Sun, May 09 2004, 10:48 am
what micki said in regards to shingles is very true, while the vaccine may stave off the effects of chicken pox, it does not vaccinate against the virus itself. years ago shingles was almost never heard of however now we have two people at work that have shingles. I would not vaccinate, but rather have the body contract the virus and be vaccinated for life.

Yc18

Post Mon, May 10 2004, 12:59 pm
I've never heard of this link to shingles. what does one have to do with the other and what is shingles anyway? how does chicken pox protect against shingles???!!!
about the chicken pox flaring up when pregnant, there are tests to take to make sure you are immune that you can take when pregnant. they do that for german measles. even though everyone gets vaccinated for it they still test for immunity, just to make sure.

micki

Post Wed, May 12 2004, 10:45 pm
hi there- ok its time for the science lesson- NOT! Shingles is an adult form of chicken pox. you never hear of a case of adult chicken pox. it is called shingles. the symptoms are similar, yet much more sever and painful.
Shingles were not very common in the past, because of the immunity I was talking about. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but a child who has had the live chicken pox virus, will always carry call it an aura of the live virus with them. this "aura" will keep them immunized, and by being around the aura, the adult will get the immunity as well.
now when a woman is pregnant, testing is done to check immunity. if it is found that the woman is NOT immune to chicken pox then the vaccine is given. this vaccine can sometimes cause a flare up of chicken pox where in an adult its harmless, but in a fetus can be fatal. why have to worry? let the children be naturally immunized, the way they have been for thousands of years and then we don't have to think about it anymore!
giving this vaccine has prompted many more cases of shingles to develope in adults- a much more scarier prospect than tchicken pox in children.

Yc18

Post Sun, Jun 06 2004, 12:26 pm
hey guys guess what?!!!
a case of chicken pox has been discovered in the montreal area! my neice has it, I'm going to get my toddler exposed to it so now I dont have to worry about the vaccine.
what about my 6 mo. old? what if he gets it? I heard that if he gets chicken pox before age 1 then he can get it again.
anyone who wants the chicken pox is welcome to come over.

Henya

Post Sun, Jun 06 2004, 8:48 pm
I think once chicken pox come out on the skin, they're not contagious anymore. They are contagious 2 weeks before they come out. If this info is incorrect, please let me know and I'll try to get my daughter exposed to chicken pox. Thanx!

miriam

Post Sun, Jun 06 2004, 11:25 pm
Can you please come visit us in Pittsburgh?? I really want my kids to get chicken pox. Maybe there is a way of mailing something to us Rolling Eyes

micki

Post Tue, Jun 08 2004, 8:36 am
No no! I want you to come here!! ohhh- please send me a lolipop or something in the mail- will that even work?

micki

Post Tue, Jun 08 2004, 10:34 am
oh I also forgot to mention that chicken pox is contagious until the sores/spots scab. so as long as they are fresh and soft then they are contagious!

miriam

Post Tue, Jun 08 2004, 1:05 pm
Too bad she didn't get chicken pox BEFORE Shavuos!! Crying

Yc18

Post Tue, Jun 08 2004, 2:51 pm
I found the following info at kidshealth:
The contagious period for chickenpox begins about 2 days before the rash appears and lasts until all the blisters are crusted over. A child with chickenpox should be kept out of school until all of the blisters have dried, which is usually about 1 week
The incubation period for chickenpox is 10 to 21 days after exposure; most cases appear in 14 to 17 days. For example, if one child in a family breaks out with chickenpox picked up at school, siblings probably will show symptoms about 2 weeks later.
Chickenpox usually lasts 7 to 10 days in children, but typically lasts longer in adults.

Chanie

Post Thu, Jun 10 2004, 8:06 pm
After reading everyones opinions on chicken pox and the vaccination, I decided to ask the opinion of a professional. Dr. Janis, a family doctor at the Montreal Jewish Hospital had much to say on the subject. She personally thinks the vacciniation is the way to go. She said differently then what I read here:
a) someone who had chicken pox as a child, CAN get shingles as an adult. she added that the vaccine includes 3 types of chickenpox, INCLUDING shingles, and with chicken pox you only get that strain of the virus.
b) there is a 1/10,000 chance of complications due to chicken pox to lead to even death (chas v'sholom) although that is a very slight chance, it still stands.
She did however say, as I have seen s/o mention here, that the vaccine has not been around long enough to see if a booster shot would be needed a few years down the line. however, she assured me that they will definitly know years before my 20 month son will be affected by it since Japan and Europe have been using/studing it a few years before us.
She also said that the shot is affective only 95% of the time, but getting the actual virus doesn't inssure complete immunity either. However a preson who gets the vaccine and does get the virs later on (that 5%) will get a much milder form of the virus.

mommy2

Post Thu, Jun 10 2004, 8:52 pm
I had a very mild form of shingles a year ago, even though I had chicken pox as a child. I wouldn't run for the vaccine, there are side effects to vaccines. Unless its 100% nescessary to take it, why take extra risks?

Yc18

Post Thu, Jun 10 2004, 9:52 pm
people who have had chicken pox as a child can later in life get shingles, its like getting c-pox twice, except that as an adult the second time of getting chicken pox surfaces as shingles.
the reason shingles is more common now is b/c, b4 the vaccine, people were constantly in contact with the chicken pox germs and it would boost their immunity against it, like the germs would remind the body that its immune. if the body goes too long without being "reminded" it can "forget" that its immune and get the disease, only now that you are an adult, it's shingles.
nowadays with widespread immunization, getting the chicken pox as a child is no longer a sure way of being immunized for life. thats why its more recommended to give the vaccine in places where vaccines are most common, and actual chicken pox disease rare.

proudmom

Post Fri, Jun 11 2004, 9:13 am
I just want to let you all know if anyone of your children or if you know someone that has the chicken pox tell them not to give them aspirin. It is very dangerous. It will cause another disease called Ray Disease ( I think thats how you spell it) It is very dangerous and it is very lethal. you have to be very careful in what you give to your children.

Chanie

Post Fri, Jun 11 2004, 12:19 pm
Chickenpox and shinglings are 2 different viruses. An adult CAN get chickenpox. Proof being my sister-in-laws housekeeper/nanny caught chickenpox from my nephew only a few weeks ago. It was chickenpox, not shinglings, infact it was an ordinary strain of the virus, much like a child would get.

proudmom

Post Fri, Jun 18 2004, 8:52 am
My son just got the chicken pox so if anyone wants to come over for their children to catch it is welcome to come.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics