Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Planning Israel trip-baby items in Israel?

amother

Post Sun, Dec 11 2011, 1:57 pm
We are traveling to Israel over Channuka with our baby who will be 11 months when we travel.

I am wondering about how easy it is to get American brand baby items such as diapers, Similac formula, baby purees such as fruit and vegetables, wipes etc. I don't necessarily need american brand diapers, but something of comparable quality.

I know these things may be more expensive in israel, but we are traveling with my parents who prefer to travel light, and will purchase these things for us in israel. We will be in Tel Aviv and Yerishalayim mostly.

Any advice would be great! Also looking for any suggestions for small quiet toys that may be a hit on the plane.

Anonymous because I have discussed this with some people in real life.

Yearoldmother

Post Sun, Dec 11 2011, 2:03 pm
Believe it or not but we have everything a baby might need here. We have pampers (there's a sale now in
Superfarm which is a pharmacy 40 nis for a pkg of 62-64 diapers) huggies, I actually prefer titulim which is an Israeli brand over huggies.
We also have both an israeli brand of baby food and gerber. The gerber is much more expensive. You can find similac as well as the baby food and the diapers on superfarm.
There is a superfarm in every mall as well as randomly around the city.

dats me

Post Sun, Dec 11 2011, 2:06 pm
You can get all the items you listed here, except that I find that vegetable purees are not always available. Dont know why this is, or if it's a widespread phenomenon, but in the stores I shop in they are not always stocked with it.

Liba

Post Sun, Dec 11 2011, 2:06 pm
Yearoldmother have things changed, because when I had a baby and needed baby food all except one type of the jarred applesauce had sugar added. Is that still the case? OP would added sugar in baby food bother you?

Diapers you can get pampers and huggies where ever you are. Same with wipes.

Similac you can find in most pharmacies and maybe even grocery stores, but not as much in the chareidi grocery stores.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Dec 11 2011, 2:10 pm
Liba wrote:
Yearoldmother have things changed, because when I had a baby and needed baby food all except one type of the jarred applesauce had sugar added. Is that still the case? OP would added sugar in baby food bother you?

Diapers you can get pampers and huggies where ever you are. Same with wipes.

Similac you can find in most pharmacies and maybe even grocery stores, but not as much in the chareidi grocery stores.
I would have to find the brand, but I know that there is baby applesauce with no sugar available. That is what I bought for my daughter when she was a baby.

Liba

Post Sun, Dec 11 2011, 2:15 pm
Smile That was exactly what I was saying Shabbatiscoming, the only sugar free baby food we could find was one brand of applesauce. All of the other flavors and brands had added sugar.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Dec 11 2011, 2:16 pm
Liba wrote:
Smile That was exactly what I was saying Shabbatiscoming, the only sugar free baby food we could find was one brand of applesauce. All of the other flavors and brands had added sugar.
oops Smile I guess I am more tired than I thought. LOL embarrassed

lst

Post Sun, Dec 11 2011, 2:29 pm
The Israeli brand (prinok?)-I've seen with and without added sugar. Just make sure to check the ingredients. Gerber has vegetables, but only in stage 1-the tiny tiny jars, and not much of a selection of vegetables. I've seen broccoli, pumpkin, and carrots.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 11 2011, 3:41 pm
OP here- Very useful info-thanks!

Added sugar would bother me. But in terms of fruits I could always cut up a fresh fruit for him. Vegetables are harder-maybe I will bring a few jars of that, cause he usually eats at least one veggie jar a day. He gets most of his protein from table foods, but a lot of his fruits and veggies still come from a jar.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 11 2011, 3:54 pm
I always brought alon the jars of fruit with rice/oats. I find especially when you are on the go , you don't realize how hungry your baby may be. The jars with oats/rice make the kids fuller in less time. If you are used to the gerber snacks and jars, bring them! Especially the little snack bites, I haven't seen them in israel yet. You can get liek GEFEN apple sauce without sugar, the big jar or plastci cups in SHarei Ezra on Bar Ilan, near shamgar. Open till 12 at night and motza shabbos. Or in most stores that carry american stuf (Hachi Kedai, Anak Habasar, Eshkolet)
Have a safe trip.

freidasima

Post Sun, Dec 11 2011, 3:58 pm
And there are small containers of organic unsweetened apple puree which is great for kids. My oldest grandson loved it when he was an infant.

newmommy22

Post Sun, Dec 11 2011, 9:03 pm
They sell Similac in Israel but it does not taste exactly the same as the American Similac. If your baby is very picky he might not be willing to take it. My daughter will not touch the US similac.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 9:53 am
We buy Huggies, I find they are the best for my babies (except for new borns who for some reason do better with Pampers). When we recently flew to the US we took an entire package of Israeli Huggies and a four-pack of wipes because we didn't want to deal with finding good diapers (in a past trip we bought US Huggies and were EXTREMELY disappointed with the quality).

Oh, and when my children were at that stage we gave them those little cups of applesauce, that sometimes combine other fruit, can't remember the brand but it's american, they have no sugar added varieties. They cost about the same price as the gerber.

Edit to say I remember the name of the brand Applesnax, they have various fruit flaovrs with and without added sugar (DH used to eat them up faster than my baby).

Last edited by chanchy123 on Mon, Dec 12 2011, 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

kb

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 11:06 am
and Gerber baby food does not have sugar added - it's more expensive than the Israeli brand, but the cheaper stuff has other ingredients.

luvinlife

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 1:50 pm
I would bring formula. Every country has a slight difference in their formula and babies can give you a hard time about it.

Didi

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 2:01 pm
If you are located near a walmart, parents choice baby food has an OU and comes in two packs, plastic containers, it is lighter than glass jars.

Formula in ISrael is not the same, when my 10yr old was 6months we took her to Israel, I called similac to ask them if the formula was the same or different and they told me different.

If your child enjoys puffs bring them as they do not have them here.

Have fun

mandksima

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 2:16 pm
Didi wrote:
If you are located near a walmart, parents choice baby food has an OU and comes in two packs, plastic containers, it is lighter than glass jars.

Formula in ISrael is not the same, when my 10yr old was 6months we took her to Israel, I called similac to ask them if the formula was the same or different and they told me different.

If your child enjoys puffs bring them as they do not have them here.

I have seen the fruit and vegetable puffs in the health food section of Supersol and various health food stores.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions