Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
My Overly Tactile/Touchy/Kinesthetic Kid- Help!
Previous  1  2

gryp

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 7:53 am
amother wrote:
OP here. My kid can't stand being upside down, even the slightest bit. He freaks out!!!

That's the vestibular system. Mine stood on his head all day for months. Standing on your head resets the vestibular system.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 7:56 am
gryp wrote:
amother wrote:
OP here. My kid can't stand being upside down, even the slightest bit. He freaks out!!!

That's the vestibular system. Mine stood on his head all day for months. Standing on your head resets the vestibular system.
After what I read here, I tried seeing if my kids liked being upside down. My "calmer" kid who still has sensory issues, just more subdued, loved lying on the bed with his head hanging off the edge, with me holding onto him tightly. He liked wheelbarrow walking. My other kid, the one this thread is about, the second his head was lower than the rest of his body, started flailing wildly, freaking out, afraid he'd fall, even though I had a REALLY REALLY firm grip on him.

gryp

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 8:03 am
Do you happen to have an office chair with wheels? You can also spin them and see how fast they get dizzy. Kids with an underactive vestibular system can spin forever. Kids with an overactive vestibular system get dizzy right away.

It also has to do with motion sickness and swinging in a swing.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 8:16 am
This kid enjoys spinning and doesn't get dizzy quickly, but doesn't like swings. So which is it- underactive or overactive vestibular system?

5*Mom

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 8:19 am
amother wrote:
This kid enjoys spinning and doesn't get dizzy quickly, but doesn't like swings. So which is it- underactive or overactive vestibular system?

There is a difference between circular and linear motion. He craves circular and is oversensitive to linear. Give him what he craves but stop b-4 he gets overstimulated. Avoid what he dislikes.

gryp

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 8:23 am
It may be the difference in motion. The over or under sensitivity isn't always so cut and dry like it sounds. Me son is over and under sensitive to so many of the same type of things. He had his last year's OT thoroughly confused to the point that she didn't know how to formulate a sensory diet.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 8:33 am
5*Mom wrote:
amother wrote:

There is a difference between circular and linear motion. He craves circular and is oversensitive to linear. Give him what he craves but stop b-4 he gets overstimulated. Avoid what he dislikes.
Wouldn't jumping up and down be linear? Because he loves that!

5*Mom

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 8:36 am
amother wrote:
5*Mom wrote:
amother wrote:

Wouldn't jumping up and down be linear? Because he loves that!

Yes, but it's primarily proprioceptive rather than vestibular.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)