Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Interview Today with Matisyahu on NPR

fmt4

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 6:17 pm
http://www.wnyc.org/shows/soun.....c/14/

Not sure what to make of it.... Sounds like he is definitely going through some identity crisis, but he still seems very proud of his Jewish identity, I like how he says brachas, tzitzit, and shul without translating them. I don't think the move was at all career-related, he just seems like a very sensitive soul who is still searching for a truth that he can feel totally comfortable with...I do feel a bit bad for his family though, his kids will probably get quite a shock when they get back from California. (he says in the interview that they havent seen him yet) There is a great picture of him on the website though, wearing a big yarmulka...

The one thing I didn't like was when he said that not shaving is "ludicrous." Of course one should adhere to the torah because of one's faith in hashem, not out of fear alone, but is is still not respectful to use that word.

merpk

Post Sat, Dec 17 2011, 2:29 pm
fmt4 wrote:
http://www.wnyc.org/shows/soundcheck/2011/dec/14/

Not sure what to make of it.... Sounds like he is definitely going through some identity crisis, but he still seems very proud of his Jewish identity, I like how he says brachas, tzitzit, and shul without translating them. I don't think the move was at all career-related, he just seems like a very sensitive soul who is still searching for a truth that he can feel totally comfortable with...I do feel a bit bad for his family though, his kids will probably get quite a shock when they get back from California. (he says in the interview that they havent seen him yet) There is a great picture of him on the website though, wearing a big yarmulka...

The one thing I didn't like was when he said that not shaving is "ludicrous." Of course one should adhere to the torah because of one's faith in hashem, not out of fear alone, but is is still not respectful to use that word.

I didn't hear it that he said "not shaving is ludicrous." I heard it that he said that he felt that not shaving specifically because of that particular reason given (which I don't recall, listened to it a few days ago) is ludicrous.

Meaning, if you're not going to shave, mazal tov, don't. But to put to it the specific meaning that he had put to it, he now feels is ludicrous.

Apples & oranges.

supermama2

Post Sat, Dec 17 2011, 2:32 pm
I never cared for the Matisyahu thing from the beginning. I wish him well.

jjudithc

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 3:54 pm
It's gotta be really tough when you were that big a star. No matter what you do, you're going to be scrutinized to nth degree. I agree with fmt4--he sounds like a sensitive soul. Creative types often are. So the backlash against him has got to hurt.
I wasn't a fan of his music, but I don't like reggae no matter what words you put to it.

WhatFor

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 4:11 pm
jjudithc wrote:
It's gotta be really tough when you were that big a star. No matter what you do, you're going to be scrutinized to nth degree. I agree with fmt4--he sounds like a sensitive soul. Creative types often are. So the backlash against him has got to hurt.
I wasn't a fan of his music, but I don't like reggae no matter what words you put to it.

Welcome to imamother! This was posted in 2011. You might want to check the date of an original post before reviving old threads.

jjudithc

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 5:09 pm
WhatFor wrote:
Welcome to imamother! This was posted in 2011. You might want to check the date of an original post before reviving old threads.

LOL, that's so weird!! How did it pop up?? I usually look at the Trending Topics. I must've been looking at another list and forgot it wasn't Trending Topics. XD
Oh, I know! I think I ended up in the In The News section. That's crazy.

Enough procrastination on imamother--this is obviously a sign from HaShem.

Shabbat shalom, everyone! Shutting up now.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 5:23 pm
jjudithc wrote:
LOL, that's so weird!! How did it pop up?? I usually look at the Trending Topics. I must've been looking at another list and forgot it wasn't Trending Topics. XD
Oh, I know! I think I ended up in the In The News section. That's crazy.

Enough procrastination on imamother--this is obviously a sign from HaShem.

Shabbat shalom, everyone! Shutting up now.

You may have been looking at similar topics, which show up on the bottom of the thread you are already reading.

jjudithc

Post Sun, Jun 03 2018, 10:38 am
ra_mom wrote:
You may have been looking at similar topics, which show up on the bottom of the thread you are already reading.

That was probably it, ra_mom.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics