Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Help me see it in the right way

amother

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 8:51 pm
I don't know if I am posting in the right forum, I didn't know where else to place it.
I'll start by saying that after dieting most of my life I am at a point where I am quite underweight and it is at a point where its affecting my health and daily routine. While I am not anorexic BH, cought myself in time, I need to gain weight ASAP!! So for the last few days I have done a total turn around and instead of eating my very structured healthy meals (I was a health fanatic) I am finally letting go and induldging in all those so called "forbidden foods" that I didn't dear touch until now ex white bread, lots of carbs, cake, ice cream, basicly anything that will make my scale move up as fast as possible. Problem is that although I know I am doing a mitzva by eating these foods and I should be delighted that I can finally induldge in all goodies I can not help the little voice in my head saying "what r u doing to Ur healthy lifestyle". Pls help me, encourage me that I am doing the right thing. I need it knocked into my head that those heavy cheeses are actually healthy for me. Thanks and may you always be healthy!!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 9:26 pm
If you would be eating the right foods to gain weight, then you won't have to convince yourself that you're doing the right thing Smile

Eat lots of avocado, nuts, and drizzle olive oil over your food for a good taste.

Keep healthy, and it should be with Hatzlacha!

shnitzel

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 10:05 pm
I wouldn't suddenly start binging on junk food.

I usually try to up my fats, adding more butter and olive oil to whatever I can. No low fat anything. Whole wheat bread will put the weight on as well as white. You can even make salad calorie dense if you add enough olive oil and cheese, we're nut free but nuts and seeds are also a good choice. It is often easiest to get extra calories by way of drinks like smoothie or even coffee. Eating nosh is fine in moderation but even when trying to gain weight it isn't good to make it the bulk of your diet.

Gaining weight back to fast isn't a good idea. You need to reframe the way you think about food and weight. I work on eating as healthfully as possible but no part of that goal involves eating a low calorie diet. I would try to start working on listening to your hunger cues. It will take a while before they normalize but being able to maintain a healthy weight just by following what your body wants to eat is an extremely valuable skill.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 11:28 pm
Yes, I am working on reframing my mind. That is part of my process. But its besides the fact that I need to gain. No I am not pigging out and going wild. But even that slice of cake for lunch, or the white bread is a big change for me. And even though I know I need it to get my energy back I still can't get the "x touch that" out of my head. I need help learning that's its ok to live (in moderation of course). I am eating a lot of fatty cheeses, butter, fatty protien to help me gain weight.

torquoise

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 11:39 pm
I agree that rapid weight gain seems so unhealthy, and there are ways to gain weight and still eat healthy food and keep your body healthy.
Do you feel that you're helping your body to be healthy? If you know for a fact that your body will be healthier after you eat "those" foods than it was before, you can tell that voice, "Hey! I'm doing what's best for you, so keep your comments to yourself!"

One thing that does surprise me a little is that you were told that you must gain weight so rapidly. Was it a doctor or nutritionist that told you this? Because if you must eat unhealthy, fatty foods in order to get back to a normal weight, it won't necessarily mean your body is healthier, just thicker, and the fat will be unhealthy fat as opposed to good fat (omega 3's, etc.)

Is it possible to gain weight just a bit more gradually so that you can do it in a healthy way, without causing all that dieting to backfire?

amother

Post Fri, Dec 16 2011, 12:09 am
Turqious, besides being told by many doctors that I need to gain weight, I feel it on my own bones. Although people don't see it, they just see a beautiful very thin women, I am always weak, tired etc. I always ate well but I'm a very active person and I didn't supply enough calories. I am not sitting a whole day now and eating but my meals are more calorie laden, and I don't surpress my urge of regular fat ice cream anymore. I want to gain weight as fast as normaly possible so I can get my energy and health back.

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Dec 16 2011, 2:09 am
I'm glad you are doing what you need to do to become healthier. I think you can achieve the same results by eating healthy foods. I don't mean you should never include treats (such as a doughnut or whatever) in your diet, but that they remain treats.
Eat bigger portions, and eat more meals. Ice cream is actually not a bad choice, if you are choosing ice cream from milk, sugar and eggs. It isn't all that bad for you. Pudding is also good. Go for buttery potatoes and chicken with the skin on if you have no cholesterol problems. (and yes, a person can have high cholesterol and high levels of triglycerides etc. and still be thin).

I take it you have checked your iron levels etc?

Ima'la

Post Fri, Dec 16 2011, 2:15 am
Have you met with a nutritionist/dietician? I think that would be very important in order to help you gain the weight you need in the healthiest way so that you don't end up back where you started, needing to diet again. It doesn't necessarily need to be hugely $$$ - a few sessions could very well be enough.

amother

Post Fri, Dec 16 2011, 1:54 pm
I am trying to keep my food intake as healthy as possible (since by nature I am a health nut), and the fried buttery french toasts, even though they are not junk they are still very different that what I usually consume and I can't get used to the fatty feeling. I am truly doing it lshem mitzva to reach a certain point on my scale and go back to my regular life style. I am not a cake / nosh / junk person although chocolate and ice cream are my thing, so I x think I will have a problem maintaining once I reach a healthy weight. My issue now is not to feel guilty of the foods I am eating

zaq

Post Fri, Dec 16 2011, 2:15 pm
ra_mom wrote:
If you would be eating the right foods to gain weight, then you won't have to convince yourself that you're doing the right thing Smile

Eat lots of avocado, nuts, and drizzle olive oil over your food for a good taste.

Keep healthy, and it should be with Hatzlacha!

This. Even for those who need to gain weight, junk food is not healthy.

Karnash

Post Sat, Dec 17 2011, 11:41 am
I agree with Zak and ra_mom.
You should be putting weight on with healthy foods and not empty calories. Gaining weight with junk foods will not give you energy. It's not the calories that give you energy (except short term), but the vitamins and nutrients you are feeding your body.
I really think you should get some guidance from a dietitian or nutritionist.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 18 2011, 10:17 am
As I stated in an earlier post, I am not a junk/nosh eater. Healthy food intake but in more calorie volume ex more healthy carbs, cheese etc is my way of trying to gain weight. But being that I have not gained any weight from the changes in my diet I need to treat my self a tad and enjoy some goodies, that's the part I am having a hard time getting used to. But I am being told again and again that in order for me to gain the pounds I need to be in the healthy weight range I need to consume that slice of cake, ice cream etc. And I have taken bloodwork and its not a medical issue as to why I am not gaining weight from the bigger meals.

Ima'la

Post Sun, Dec 18 2011, 11:44 am
I hear what you're saying, but I'm still not convinced you're going about this the right way. If you feel like indulging, sure - you're in a position where you can, and yes, you don't need to feel guilty, but I don't think you should be convincing yourself to eat junk just to get your weight up. As a prev. poster pointed out - those empty calories are not what's going to give you the energy you're lacking. It sounds like you're on the right track by eating cheeses, etc. but if it's still not getting your weight up, I think a visit to a nutritionist is in order. Hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking