Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
"What are you?"

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 15 2006, 10:03 pm
I was walking early one evening and a young man with 5 little kids in tow obviously was trying to do the same. Unsuccessfully. One was pulling on a bush, one was playing with his briefcase, another was walking slowly, etc.

I weaved in and out of the little family, whereupon the 3 year old proclaimed loudly "What are you?". I had the feeling he was about to kick me....

So I quickly scurried away and to where I was going.

Isn't it the job of the parent to speak to the kid; not me?

rivka m

Post Wed, Nov 15 2006, 10:41 pm
hi, it sounds like this father had his hands full. He may not even have caught what the child said until it was too late. I say, give the guy a break. sure, it's a parent's job to teach their kids respect, but don't let that make you bitter or judgmental.

Tefila

Post Wed, Nov 15 2006, 10:45 pm
Quote:
but don't let that make you bitter or judgmental.

I agree have you ever been there and done that with five kids in tow that are your own. We can't judge someone until we r in their shoes.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 16 2006, 10:16 am
Well, I almost WAS in their shoes, if the kid had kicked me, lol.

Listen, my kids are older teens. I DEF was in his shoes - I was a parent of little kids!

There's no excuse for lack of chinuch! None!

happy2beme

Post Thu, Nov 16 2006, 10:26 am
I don't understand, what did the boy mean when he said "what r u"? did he think u were an animal or something? maybe a moose?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 16 2006, 10:27 am
lol, Happy.

I assume he meant, what are you to walk in front of me? but I'm not sure a 3 year old thinks like that.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 16 2006, 10:33 am
from a 3 yr old , what are you? can mean anything from what are you a mommy , a teacher a ... to what are you a girl or a mommy to what are you chassidish, litvish depending on what they have picked up at home. I would never assume what are you to mean why are you walking ahead of me.

Mitzvahmom

Post Thu, Nov 16 2006, 10:33 am
Eh my four year old does that to me too..

What are you? Who are you? Part of learning experience asking questions, I doubt he ment anything by it.

Meema2Kids

Post Thu, Nov 16 2006, 10:41 am
3 year olds don't always know how to express themselves politely. A lot of times I see these kids being mean or disrespectful to adults (including me) but I have to realize that the tone of voice may have nothing to do with what they're really saying. I used to think my 3 year old was laughing at me maliciously that I had to change his dirty diapers until I figured out he was just very ticklish.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 16 2006, 11:12 am
No problem with the kid, really...it's the PARENT who should have shlepped the kid out of the way when I was trying to pass!

Motek

Post Fri, Nov 17 2006, 10:53 am
chocolate moose wrote:
it's the PARENT who should have shlepped the kid out of the way when I was trying to pass!

Why wasn't it YOU who should have walked around them? The 3 yr. old has fewer sidewalk privileges?

shoy18

Post Fri, Nov 17 2006, 11:01 am
This thread is a bit insane. THE KID WAS 3 YEARS OLD, give him a brake walk on the other side of the street.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Nov 17 2006, 11:12 am
The father and his five kids were all over the place. I had to weave in and out to get around them!

Shoy, do you ever walk in the city? Crossing the street was not an option..I needed to be where I was!

Don't forget it was pouring rain and the sidewallk was full of leaves.

cindy324

Post Fri, Nov 17 2006, 11:57 am
Give the guy a break! I give him credit just for being brave enough to walk alone with 5 little kids. Many fathers are not hands on like that. he was probably too busy trying to keep an eye on all 5 at the same time to notice you.

I would think that people who live in a community where large families are the norm would be more tolerant to children. Confused
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics