Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Ritalin - do you ever give a second dose?

amother

Post Fri, Dec 23 2011, 1:32 am
I have a child who takes Ritalin every morning before school starts. It works great, but at around 4:00 pm or so, it wears off, and he starts acting up.
I usually just put up with it, because I figure: it's almost dinner time, and then bed time.

But, next week we have a Chanukah gathering at my in-law's with all the cousins, it's at night, and I know my kid is just gonna be all over the place.
I would like to give him another dose in the late afternoon, which will hopefully last through the party and not interfere with his sleep later that night.
Have you ever done this?
P.S. He's 8 years old.

mummy-bh

Post Fri, Dec 23 2011, 4:19 am
My child takes one tablet early in the morning, before leaving for school. The teacher gives a half tablet at lunchtime, which lasts through the rest of the school-day (even though I have to deal with the fall-out later in the evening, I refuse to have the teacher administer a full dose, as dc doesn't need it for school).
I think in your situation, I would give a half a tablet a little earlier than the previous dose will wear off. This should get your son all the way though the party.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)