Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Shiur style - which do you prefer
Previous  1  2

shopaholic

Post Fri, Oct 19 2007, 9:40 am
My class has a shiur every month in memory of the parents of some girls. I think they pay the speakers - those who charge but the one arranging it once said that if anyone every feels like sponsoring, let her know.

My neighbor made a 40th birthday party for her DH last night & asked a well known speaker to come & farbreng. He told her it would be $300!

Paying $10 each week does add up after a while. Maybe $10 a month is more practical.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Oct 19 2007, 10:36 am
It's very hard to continuously shell out. Yes, of course I prefer free events, but as I said before, you get what you pay for, at least some of the time.

I'm sure it's similar by the men. Sometims the maggidei shiurim don't show up either.

Imaonwheels

Post Sun, Oct 21 2007, 3:50 am
It doesn't matter to me the type but the quality of the learning. If the women are a serious learned group, great. If the speaker is low level and boring, no. And vise versa.

Only once was I ever asked to pay for a shiur in a home. The woman invited the speaker and made a cake. The rav drove an hour each way and talked for 1 1/2 hours. The shiur was well attended. After the rav left the 1st time the woman who organized the whole thing said that she thinks its fair to give the rav this much for time and gas and we agreed. We divided that amt among ourselves. The shiur continued to grow but it was never brought up again. Each woman paid what she agreed with the hostess. If new people asked we told them and they often offered to be a financial part as well. The cost went down to nearly nothing so we paid once a month.

catonmylap

Post Sun, Oct 21 2007, 4:16 am
I prefer a woman speaker/leader with an all-women group....But with back and forth and learning as a group.

I like the all-women atmosphere better. It also means I would come for the socialization even if the learning wasn't exactly what I wanted.

lamplighter

Post Sun, Oct 21 2007, 5:17 pm
I prefer a speaker and would only pay if it was a speaker.
4 dollars for an ongoing shuir sounds fair.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics