Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What advice can others in the retail business offer ........

amother

Post Sat, Nov 18 2006, 8:26 pm
Question #1

What advice can others in the retail business offer a newcomer to the retail business. (I've worked for s/o else in retail but now I'm planning IY"H on going into business on my own). What have you retailers learned the hard way from years of being in business and dealing with people?

Question #2

A former boss in retail told me that if you can't get your product at a low enough price to mark it up 100%, you'd better not even try to go into business. I've heard from others in retail though, that it depends on how expensive the item is and how much volume the average store of that type does. Furniture , that doesn't bring in that many sales a week, you've got to be able to mark up close to 100%. For instance, bras and other lingerie items that you'll probably sell in larger quantities, does not get marked up 100%.

Question #3

The day I got hired in this retail bus., the boss told me you've got to get a sense of who are the buyers and who are the lookers. She said not to waste time with the lookers. She says you can judge by the look in the eye and the way people dress and the questions they ask. What do the retail people out there have to say about that?

Question #4

How do you get a feel of who you can trust with "taking things home to show my husband", etc., and in general what would signal that a customer is a potential trouble maker or a "spy" for another store?
My former boss said any questions out of the norm from a customer should make me suspicious. What is your advice as far "Chabdehu V' Chashdehu"?

Thanks for any help.

amother

Post Sat, Nov 18 2006, 9:27 pm
Greet people w. a smile, whether you're in the mood or not.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 19 2006, 6:31 am
Quote:
How do you get a feel of who you can trust with "taking things home to show my husband", etc

Just your mother , MIL, and sisters, or you'd be risking too much.

withhumor

Post Sun, Nov 19 2006, 7:38 am
I’m not so sure about “don’t go into business if you can mark up by 100%”. Not everyone goes shopping to specific places for the metzia. People are looking at the atmosphere in your store. If its noisy, and the décor is shlumpy and there are tons of carriages with screaming babies parked in the front, I won’t shop there. But if you have a play area inside a little room for kids to play, with a tissue box and a sink, I may be your first customer! As a mommy, I need to know that store cares about my priorities and I’m willing to pay a little more for that luxury. You should accept all credit cards, don’t make any minimums, and have a decent return policy. Print your return policy and phone number on your receipts and staple it to the bag! Also, do not let anyone step close to the door with merchandise. Be clear about the return policy to avoid confusion. May your heart strengthen itself appropriately and may you be very successful and be happy!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics