Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
70 Jews went down to Mitzrayim

supermom

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 6:00 am
It says that shivim nefesh (seventy soul) went down to Mitzrayim. These 70 people included ONLY TWO WOMEN - Yocheved and Serach. How is it that NO OTHER WOMEN went down to Mitzrayim? All the wives died? The daughters all died?

For my second question then how did the nation grow so much with only two woman around? Especially that Mitzrayim had no other Jews besided the seventy?

Motek

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 8:22 am
re your first question - I've wondered and asked that very same question. No answers forthcoming. Confused

gryp

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 10:01 am
where does it say only two women? I thought each shevet according to certain meforshim had a twin girl. what did they do- stay home?

supermom

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 11:38 am
" Yotzi Yrachoi Milvad nshai bnai yakkov" [his offsprings,excluding ya'akov's son's wives] .

Rivk

Post Sun, Apr 10 2005, 2:34 pm
The reason why the only women mentioned are Serach and Yocheved is because they each have something noteworthy about them that makes them stand out. Serach had an extremely long life (Or may even still be living!) and Yocheved was born on the way into mitzrayim - literally as they entered.

supermom

Post Sun, Apr 10 2005, 3:11 pm
I heard that because they were the only one single is why they are mentioned but that still doesn't answer the question though Confused

Yael

Post Sun, Apr 10 2005, 4:17 pm
I thought that only the men were counted. and those 2 women b/c they were noteworthy. but now I'm thinking that it doesnt say that, it says 70 souls, regardless of man or woman. so I'm stumped.
hey just thought of something, if it says souls, and husband-wife are considered 2 halves of ONE SOUL, then each man and his wife would be one soul!!!!

supermom

Post Tue, Apr 12 2005, 6:28 am
supermom wrote:
" Yotzi Yrachoi Milvad nshai bnai yakkov" [his offsprings,excluding ya'akov's son's wives] .

but from here I guess not no?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics