Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Tips for baby jet lag after Israel trip

amother

Post Thu, Jan 05 2012, 6:11 am
We came back from israel to the east coast a few days ago. 11 month old DS adjusted beautifully in israel, and basically slept through the night each night from 930-8am. Since we have come home, it has been a nightmare. Although DS was not really sleeping through the night before, he never woke up crying. He used to wake up chatty and want to play, but never crying. Since we got home, he goes to sleep at normal time around 645, but is up from 130 on, crying and wont take his paci. he does not want to be rocked or held or anything. I think he just really wants to sleep, but can't/

How long does it usually take to adjust back?? I know sun is supposed to help but its SO cold out!

TIA

RachelEve14

Post Thu, Jan 05 2012, 6:15 am
Yes, the sun really helps. Even if you can't get him out, get him by windows as much as you can.

Good luck. I remember the time I came back here with two 5 months old. It was joyful, let me just tell you.

Roses4me

Post Thu, Jan 05 2012, 6:20 am
I think it's always harder with jet lag when you return home.

With younger ones who can't tell night and day there's not much to do..but with yours, especially since he has a routine I would say try keep him up a little later (when does he sleep in the day?) If he wakes up and can't sleep either sit with him in a dimly lit room, or if he's crying play quietly with him to change his mind for a little while - try 15min to half an hour then try put him back in bed. Each kid is different.

I know what its like when you're just so tired and want them to just sleep or at least lay quietly!

Hope these ideas may be useful

amother

Post Thu, Jan 05 2012, 8:18 am
OP here. Thanks for the tips. Before the trips, he was napping about a half hour in the morning around 930, and 2 hours in the afternoon around 1 or 2.

Since we got home he has been napping around 830 for...too long-maybe 1.5-2 hours. I just don't have the heart to wake him. But I will not let him go more then 2 hours. He is also getting a 2 hour nap around 130. He goes into such a deep sleep at this nap, and is an absolute bear once I wake him after 2 hours. Because for him, he thinks it is night. He then goes down for the night around 645. I am going to try to limit his day sleep a drop today, and get in the sun as much as possible. I don't want him to get too overtired during the day, because I don't think that will help him sleep at night either.

I hope this passes soon!

ModaMama

Post Thu, Jan 05 2012, 8:39 am
We've just returned home to Israel from the East Coast... third child and not our first trip but something about this winter jetlag is the worst.

As hard as it is, wake the baby up... keep them up, distract them and get them back into the routine. I'm on my way to spoil my own nice quiet time by pulling 7mo baby out of unscheduled naptime.

Sorry baby.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics