Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
I need ideas for a Tunisian/Morrocan Friday night!

Smiling Wife

Post Thu, Jan 05 2012, 8:01 am
Mrs Bissli and everyone with knowledge ( or an idea of ) of Tunisian and Moroccan food, please post your suggestions, thank you!

Tamiri

Post Thu, Jan 05 2012, 8:29 am
Tunesian Meatballs http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....02199

xoxo1

Post Thu, Jan 05 2012, 8:34 am
morrocan cigars & cubba.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Jan 05 2012, 10:26 am
To be exact, tunisian shabbat food is different from morrocan shabbat food, but I take liberty of mix-n'-match.

Use warm pittah for hamotzi. For appetisers, you can do moroccan fish. There are recipes posted here you can search. You'll need white flakey fish like cod, haddock, tillapia. Alternatively you can do Tunisian tajine (which is a totally different thing from moroccan tagine) which is basically a frittatta that includes either fish or carrots or peas or other veggies/herbs. You can also do dip things like matbucha, parsley-corriander sauce. Serve harissa as condiment.

For soup you can do thick lentil soup (moroccan, harira, uses chopped green leaves from celery, usually has bits of lamb but can be vegetarian) pumpkin soup (moroccan, traditionally on Rosh Hashana, use a bit of cinammon) or brothy part of couscous (served with tiny pasta shapes or orzo).

For main course you can do couscous complete which is a standard Tuni shabbat dinner. It's stewed chicken with either meatballs or small meatloaf (season with chopped corriander), vegetables (celery, carrot, courgette, parsnip, turnip, onion), chickpeas (canned ones are fine), soupy broth seasoned with a bit of safran (turmeric will do in a pinch). Very important vegetables are in large chunks (cut in 1/2 or 1/4 LENGTHWISE). You serve on a large platter--first put couscous (make sure to fluff it), moisten a bit with broth (though don't make it soggy), then arrange cooked vegetables

Alternatively chicken or lamb tagine (moroccan). Basically slow cooked dish with onions, carrots, you can add prunes, apricots, dates, pickled lemons.

Since the main has protein/starch/veggie, all you need as side dish are simple salads--usually roasted pepper salad, carrot salad, israeli salad or plain green salad.

Dessert tends to be relatively simple, can you get baklawa or maamoul (cookies with date or nut filling) from bakeries? Actually you can serve orange slices moroccan way--peel and remove white fluff, slice and serve on a platter with sprinkling of cinnamon.

Sorry I don't have too much time right now but if you need more detailed recipe I can post it later bli neder.

kassy

Post Thu, Jan 05 2012, 3:00 pm
couscous and Moroccan fish

Smiling Wife

Post Sun, Jan 08 2012, 2:59 pm
Mrs Bissli please can you post parsley-corriander sauce recipe? I love your suggestions! Thanks all!

luvinlife

Post Sun, Jan 08 2012, 4:39 pm
morracan fish and shepherds pie

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Jan 08 2012, 5:38 pm
Parsley Corriander sauce

1 bunch parsley (pref flat leaf)
1 bunch cilantro/corriander
3 cloves garlic
8-10 green olives, pitted (optional)
juice of 1/2 lemon
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 teasp salt
3-4 tbsp mayo

Wash, clean and remove stalks from parley and cilantro. Peel galic cloves and cut in 1/4. Blend all ingredients EXCEPT for mayo till pureed. Add mayo. This can keep in the fridge for about 5days. You may want to increase salt slightly if not using olives.

luvinlife, Interesting, I always associated shepherds pie as british comfort food. (Too many kids here growing up on it either at school or at home...)

yaelinIN

Post Sun, Jan 08 2012, 9:27 pm
Tamiri wrote:
Tunesian Meatballs http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....02199

I made this for Friday night -- big hit for the family and guests!!

Thanks Tamiri!

yb

Post Sun, Jan 08 2012, 9:54 pm
www.dafina.net

Yalta

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 5:54 am
if you can read hebrew the following article has some nice tunisian salads
Ynet Recipes
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics