Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How often do you use disposables?

How often do you use disposables?
Every day  
 67%  [ 23 ]
More than twice a week  
 5%  [ 2 ]
Less than twice a week  
 2%  [ 1 ]
Very rarely/never  
 23%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 34

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 5:10 am
Please relate to mass use only (I.e. whole meals with disposables).

Feel free to post concerning use of disposables on Shabbat and special occasions.

Chani

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 5:33 am
We are very close friends with Rabbi Menachem Nissel (wrote Rigshei Lev on women's davening). When we had our twins he told me "Chani, there's no mitzvah of kavod shabbos in using china and having 12 courses if you are too stressed out to enjoy it and the children. Make things as easy as possible on yourself the next few years. Use paper plates, pick up food from the deli, make simpler meals, and get a cleaning lady. Your job is to make sure that the kids grow up in a happy house. Everything else can be outsourced!"

Marion

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 6:29 am
"Chad p'ami" are virtually unseen in my house. They're not cost effective and they're bad for the environment. I think we used them 4 times after the baby was born. I'll use them if I'm throwing a party for more people than I can feed on my own dishes (like a sheva brachot). And I'll use a disposable tin for the oven if I'm taking something to someone who either I don't trust their kashrut (to wash it and return it) or who has a tendency to lose things.

I'm hoping to extend that moratorium on disposables to nappies with the next baby. With our first I didn't have enough research done to figure it all out.

Raisin

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 6:39 am
When we have more guests than china I use disposables. They are really expensive where I live, and, as Marion said, they're bad for the enviroment. On Pesach thats all we use because no dishwasher! (and I don't really have proper china for Pesach.) Also we pay for the amount of rubbish we put out, so we pay twice!

if I have them in the house I find they get used, but I rearely have them.

Also when I do use disposables for a shabbos meal I almost always use real cutlery. It's really annoying to use plastic knives for chicken.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 8:55 am
I use disposables for shalom bayis. DH is not a neat freak for himself, but for me he is. If the whole kitchen is clean, but there are peels in the sink, that's all he sees. All I need is a few dishes lying around to press his button of never ending criticism of my housework. But too bad that there is still plenty to wash, even with the disposables.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 8:57 am
We always use disposables. It's hard enough for me to clean all the pots and pans, if I had to deal with plates, bowls, and baking pans, the kitchen would be more of a disaster than it already is.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 10:26 am
It used to be always, then the Good L-rd sent me a dishwasher!

Imhappy!

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 10:35 am
I have plastics at home but don't really use it ($$ factors embarrassed )

use it to pack lunch to work...

friday when the sinks are clean already and someone is STARVVING... Wink

a few days after birth...and other emergencies....

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 11:10 am
I even cook in disposables. embarrassed

There is nothing I find more oof putting then cleaning a pot used for frying chicken cutlets or meatball sauce. I do all that stuff in 9x13 aluminum pans.

with 4 kids, I don't have time or energy to do dishes.

shopaholic

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 11:15 am
We use lots of it, cutlery if the food can be cut easily with it (not chicken or meat). Plates & bowls, definitely & I also cook in aluminum pans, but I'm thinking of buying (at least for milchig that isn't so greasy) real pans. As cheap as the disposables are here, we use a ton each week.

chedva

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 11:39 am
I use them all the time for everything. Disposables are a lot cheaper than a cleaning lady doing your dishes.

queen

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 12:01 pm
I have a full stock of every size disposable pan and cover, and use them all the time. Don't own a chicken pan, always disposable for baking.

Disposable plates and cutlery during the week as well. (unless we have company)

On shabbos, if it's just my husband and I, we usually use fancy disposable plates and cutlery which is special for shabbos, and not used during the week.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 12:11 pm
We use them when we eat at people who aren't keeping kosher (enough). It's one thing to ask them to buy kosher things once, but not to buy new plates!

Meema2Kids

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 12:45 pm
Quote:
They're not cost effective and they're bad for the environment

Exactly. I use them at times when I am working a lot; I figure if it saves me the time of doing dishes I can put that time into working but otherwise it's not a big deal to wash a few plates and flatware.

I do use aluminum pans for some baking because of pareve/fleishig issues.

Mishie

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 1:00 pm
As Rachael Ray says: "Take all the help you can get!!!"

Well, that's exactly what I do!
I have enough work in the house without having 2 huge sinks of dishes to wash everyday!!!
Where we live disposables are pretty cheap, (it's about $1.50 for 50 plates, and for 100 pieces of cutlery. Bowls are the same price for 25 bowls. That's not too bad, is it?)

We usually use Real dishes for special occasions.

queen

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 1:58 pm
great dancing icon!!!!

MyKidsRQte

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 9:10 pm
I use disposable foil pans for all baking. Disposable plates daily, and just started using Real dishes lekovod Shabbes. Except when I have too much company and I dont have enough dishes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics