Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Structure vs. Montessori

amother

Post Sat, Jan 07 2012, 11:43 pm
5 yo DD is Gifted but also has ADHD. She is in a Montessori school right now where she is excelling academically because the lessons are individual. But the minute she has social interactions, it's like her giftedness disappears and out comes this ADHD monster.

I'm wondering what would happen if I switched her to a more traditional style learning environment. I'm scared her academic work would suffer, and the ADHD monster has horrible flare-up potential since most learning happens by socialization, which she is REALLY bad at... But she needs to learn to socialize, doesn't she?

I don't know what to do.

Soul on fire

Post Sun, Jan 08 2012, 8:40 pm
I wouldn't move her to a different school environment if she is thriving in her current one. Typical school structure is not made to encourage proper socializing. I think you should try with small play dates and discussing her behavior with her, maybe her teacher, dr, etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)