Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Teaching your child about strangers...

amother

Post Mon, Jan 09 2012, 7:38 am
how do you teach young children, around the age of 5, not to talk to strangers, get in a car, take food offered to them without scaring them.
My DD would have nightmares if I told her these things could happen. I want to warn her but she is a child who thinks things through down to the very last detail. She also has a wild imagination and often has nightmares about things she hears about.
I really need to start educating her about the dangers of the world but have no idea how to simplify it and make it not so scary.

de_goldy

Post Mon, Jan 09 2012, 8:05 am
"stranger danger" is a very small part of the equation. Equally important - if not more so - is safety from people you already know. The majority of crimes against children happen by someone they know and may even trust.

Best way to teach about it is the same way you teach about other safety - crossing streets, swimming safely etc.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 09 2012, 8:26 am
Yes, you're right. I'm looking for things what to say and what not to say to her. I also have a DS who is so happy go lucky, he doesn't take anything seriously. what do I say to make him see how important these lessons are? He's also really shy and I doubt he would yell or fight back if something happened to him Ch''v, he's more likely just to close up.

Yulka

Post Mon, Jan 09 2012, 10:20 am
Start by telling her that if somebody tells her to keep something a secret, then she should mediately tell you about it.
If a grownup ever tells a child the "it's just between us", chances are that it's something inappropriate.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics