Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
"Shh! Don't tell" shortcuts
  1  2  3  11  12  13  Next

Blue jay

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 7:34 am
Do you have any interesting short cuts you use in your daily life when it comes to keeping house, family and sanity? Recipes would be great too!!

Please share.

Ill go first, (Shhh! dont tell anyone) but when I broil chicken Sometimes I skip defrosting the chicken and just throw it in the oven with fat free Italian dressing! It cooks through and comes out a little more juicier than an undefrosted chicken.

Second, I dont fold laundry , I let the kids fold their own, and unwrinkle and iron as needed ( sometimes I do this an hour before the school bus) I dont see the point in having neat and pressed clothes just sitting in the drawers...

jerusalem-girl

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 7:37 am
Frozen peas instead of split peas for split pea soup. I blend, then add cut up vegetables, or reverse. I can't be bothered with cooking split peas for twenty hours and still crunching into them.

Blue jay

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 7:40 am
jerusalem-girl wrote:
Frozen peas instead of split peas for split pea soup. I blend, then add cut up vegetables, or reverse. I can't be bothered with cooking split peas for twenty hours and still crunching into them.

Great tip! Split pea soup does take a long time to make and this sounds like a great alternative!

Keep the ideas coming!

Blue jay

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 7:44 am
OK , here is another shortcut...

My 5 year old and 6 year old take showers! Occasionaly baths when there is time and patience. I taught them how to stand under the spray so that they wont get their faces wet. They actually dont mind the shower.

mizle10

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 7:46 am
It's really expensive, but bodek sells chopped onions.

Simple1

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 7:48 am
jerusalem-girl wrote:

I don't know what kind of split peas you are using, but mine cook in an hour (maybe a bit more) and turn into a nice mush - no blender necessary. Are you using very old stale peas? Or maybe it's an Isareli product? (assuming that you live there - you call yourself Jerusalem girl.)

jerusalem-girl

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 7:54 am
Simple1 wrote:
jerusalem-girl wrote:

I don't know what kind of split peas you are using, but mine cook in an hour (maybe a bit more) and turn into a nice mush - no blender necessary. Are you using very old stale peas? Or maybe it's an Isareli product? (assuming that you live there - you call yourself Jerusalem girl.)

Maybe they are different here in Israel. I seem to remember having a hard time with them in America as well, but possibly not, or not as hard as here.

yksraya

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 8:03 am
A day that I have to run out. I cook the supper in a slow cooker that way when I come home exhausted the house smells yummy and kids come home to a ready supper.
I also try doing laundry each day only one load that way it takes quicker to fold and put away and I don't feel like I'm dunk into laundry all day.

shoeboxgirly

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 8:03 am
I hoover the bathroom then give it a wipe with a floor wipe, rather than take the mop upstairs.

Shopmiami49

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 8:18 am
I shower dow nmy kids sometimes instead of full baths.

Split pea soup - add 1/2 tsp. baking soda to the pot and the problem will be solved. You will have mushy pea soup in an hour.

Shnitzel - I prespice my breadcrumbs and store them in containers ready to pull out and bread. I also mix all the shnitzel pieces with egg in one bowl and then take each piece out, bread it, and fry. No extra step of di[[ing in egg neccessary. When I am REALLY organized, I egg and bread the shnitzels before I freeze them.

HindaRochel

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 8:33 am
My split peas also take forever to cook...

onlyme

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 8:34 am
I like this thread!

For quickie/lazy floor cleaning, I spray some Fantastic on the floors and run over it with the mop. Floor is clean with no one the wiser.

I pour some bottled sauce over chicken & bake. Easy as pie. (Everyone does this, right?)

Fancy dessert: drizzle chocolate syrup on plate, add a scoop of store-bought ice cream, top with chopped nuts or sprinkles (depending on the age of my guests) and place 2 Presidor wafer-rolls on the side.

I sometimes clean the bathroom (toilet, sink, bathtub) with clorox wipes.

If a soup calls for a roux, I make that first and then add the rest of ingredients to that same pot, so I don't have another pot to wash. I do the same thing if a recipe calls for saute'ed onions etc.

I have a lot more but can't remember anything else now..

Shhh dont tell!!

alwaybhappy

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 8:39 am
~Take a day and make a few different types of chicken (alot) and then freeze it. Then, all you have to do it take it out of the freezer to defrost and the main dish of supper is made. Alot of sides also freeze well. You can make a huge batch of mashed potatoes and freeze that in portion sizes. Let it defrost and then pop it in the microwave till it is hot and mushy.

~I feed my daughter in the bath (not necessarily to save time, but bec. otherwise she doesn't eat.)

~Wash dishes right away so that it doesn't pile up (and make the place smelly and dirty). You may feel like you are doing dishes all day but sometimes it pays to do that then to have a sink full of dishes when you are too tired to do anything.

~You can make folding laundry into a game and teach your kids how to do it. Then they can do the laundry (and since most is theirs anyways, it's ok if it isn't done perfectly) and you can do other stuff with them out of the way...
When I was younger, me and my siblings use to do it. One of us would fold and the other would put away. The "folder" would line up the folded laundry in a row by the doorway and the "put awayer" had to put it away quickly before it got to the other door post.

smiledr

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 8:51 am
My dry cleaner picks up/ drops off which saves two errands a week and costs the same. Mg recipe for meatloaf makes great butter's so I double it make two meatlisves and some burger's and freeze three nights of dinner. Carrot muffin recipe makes enuf to freeze as do cakes and cookies.

chocolate chips

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 8:52 am
Sometimes if my bathroom needs cleaning but I don't have patience I just use a lysol disinfectant spray and wipe with a tissue afterwards.

I often also stick frozen chicken into a pan and just cook for extra half hour.

cant think of anything else right now Smile

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 9:20 am
QueenBee3 wrote:
jerusalem-girl wrote:

Great tip! Split pea soup does take a long time to make and this sounds like a great alternative!

Keep the ideas coming!

I dump a cup of split peas into my crock pot, add salt, garlic powder, and water, and turn onto auto (4 hours on high, then low). If I feel like it, I make matzo balls (from a mix) and add to the soup after it has boiled. Or I add a package of frozen vegetables.

Voila! Soup du jour.

sky

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 9:23 am
Mix things in bags - like salad dressing, chicken sauces, cookie dough, pie filling, then there is no bowl or spoon to wash.

I also shower my 3 and 5 year old.

Throw stuff in closets when hear I'm getting unexpected guests to hide from view.

to make breaded chicken I just spoon on duck sauce and pour on bread crumbs (sometimes I drizzle with honey or pour on OJ for a change). And for breaded chicken cutlets I spray with pam and pour on the bread crumbs. Or I want an egg coating I mix the chicken cutles with eggs in a bag then scoop out and add to bread crumbs in a bag. No messy dipping or dishes needed.

Use baby wipes to wipe my kids down before sending them out of the house, its easier then dragging them to the sink.

sky

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 9:25 am
mizle10 wrote:
It's really expensive, but bodek sells chopped onions.

I use lots of frozen slice vegetables. Not all are more expensive. Like frozen zuchhine can be cheaper depending on the season.
A soup is so easy when using frozen onions, zuchhini, carrots or canned potatoes.
I use frozen onions when making homemede onion rolls. I don't even bother cooking them first.

jerusalem-girl

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 9:26 am
Melt chocolate chips in a plastic bag- a good sturdy one. Place into boiling water until all melted.

I never tried this, but someone told me you could put chocolate chips on a cake/ cupcakes when they're already baked, and put back into the oven for a few minutes. spread when melted.

onlyme

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 9:28 am
jerusalem-girl wrote:
Melt chocolate chips in a plastic bag- a good sturdy one. Place into boiling water until all melted.

I never tried this, but someone told me you could put chocolate chips on a cake/ cupcakes when they're already baked, and put back into the oven for a few minutes. spread when melted.

I melt chocolate in an aluminum pan in the oven. (can you tell that I really dislike washing pots?)
Page 1 of 13   1  2  3  11  12  13  Next Recent Topics