Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
"Shh! Don't tell" shortcuts
  Previous  1  2  3 11  12  13  Next

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 10:51 pm
tichellady wrote:
I don’t understand how you make pasta in a pan. Please explain

It sounds like a disposable aluminum pan is being used as a pot directly on the gas range flame.

Jewishfoodie

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 10:52 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
How do you make that?

Overnight Cholent
in 9x13 deep foil pan w/cover

(I did steal some ideas from Alexander Rebetzin, credit where it's due)

On Wednesday night, I peel and cube 6 nice sized red potatoes and salt them liberally with Diamond Kosher salt (course)

Leave them overnight and day. They must turn black! Bear with me! That's how it's done!

Thursday night, I take a bag of either kidney beans or a "chulent Mix" bag and wash and drain very well, and add to the "blackened" potatoes, now with liquid at the bottom.
(in essence, what you're doing is removing some of the moisture from those potatoes so they're ultimately better. The black will not show after its cooked)

Then add:
3/4 cup onion soup mix (I use Leibers, my brother prefers Osem)
Fresh crushed garlic or garlic powder
A shake of black pepper
Half a teaspoon coffee (I use Nescafe Tasters Choice Medium )
Half a cup oil
And any spices you prefer.
(no paprika necessary.)
Then add flanken. I use 3 strips. Any meat will do. Not chicken. It's too long to cook, even on low temp.
And Marrow bones for added flavor

Then, fill the pan with water until an inch from the top, seal it with foil cover and place in the oven on 250 degrees Fahrenheit from about 7:00 PM to 12:30 the next afternoon. By Friday, you have delicious chulent to taste. Remove from oven and refrigerate until Shabbos. I never have leftovers. It serves at least 8 people..

BTW, if you noticed, no barley. I make it gluten free. If you were to add barley, do so with more oil and water. Barley absorbs tons of water and it also needs the fat or the oil so it's not clumpy.

NO pot to wash and no cholent smell during Shabbos because u dispose of pan..

To give you a visual idea, the chulent is dark dark brown and delicious!

Very simple to make.
Just looks like a lot of words.. 😊

The first time I made it, it was completely on faith. I was grossed out by the black potatoes. But I would never skip that step today!

cbg

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 10:52 pm
This is not a don't tell anyone tip
I started using shop paper towels, the blue one.
A little more expensive, but sometimes on sale at Walmart, so it comes out the same price.
They are much thicker and last a long time before you need to throw out.
Also, it's cool to have blue paper towels in the kitchen.

tichellady

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 11:04 pm
I feel like I don’t have any shortcuts. Somehow I use whatever time I have to make shabbos or yomtov.

Jewishfoodie

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 11:08 pm
tichellady wrote:
I feel like I don’t have any shortcuts. Somehow I use whatever time I have to make shabbos or yomtov.

Shortcuts gives you extra time to make things you normally wouldn't have time for. Save time on one thing, waste it on another!

I was so proud once; I had Shabbos ready to go 2 hours early! And my DD called that my granddaughter was rushed to the hospital. Of course I ran over to help..
I told my husband I was never rushing again!

Hashem sees I have extra time... 😉

cbg

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 11:09 pm
Before putting on gloves to cook, smear a little coconut oil on your hands,this way your hands get a moisturizing treatment while you cook

tichellady

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 11:10 pm
Jewishfoodie wrote:
Shortcuts gives you extra time to make things you normally wouldn't have time for. Save time on one thing, waste it on another!

I was so proud once; I had Shabbos ready to go 2 hours early! And my DD called that my granddaughter was rushed to the hospital. Of course I ran over to help..
I told my husband I was never rushing again!

Hashem sees I have extra time... 😉

lol. If I have one hour, I can make a nice shabbos meal. If I have four hours, I make a nice shabbos meal. I just use whatever time I have and try to relax and enjoy the cooking process

Woman of Valor

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 11:21 pm
To Hashem Yaazor: Maybe you should be asking your question to the manufacturer of NB PJ's then? Like why is there such a thing? I didn't say anything about wanting my son to be uncomfortable during the day. Maybe you want to re-read my post.

Last edited by Woman of Valor on Tue, Mar 06 2018, 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

cbg

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 11:23 pm
Use oven ready noodles to make lasagna.

mommy9

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 11:41 pm
Overnight Cholent
Alexander rebetzin from bnei brak or Brooklyn?

I use scrubbing bubbles on the kitchen floor. Spray scrubbing bubbles, spray water from the sink hose, and mop.
I keep dusting wipes in the bedroom so I don't need to remember a rag and spray. Fabric softener sheets work also.

When I had little kids,I made challah dough, froze it, let it defrost overnight wed or Thurs night, and shaped it and baked it.

Jewishfoodie

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 12:22 am
mommy9 wrote:
Overnight Cholent
Alexander rebetzin from bnei brak or Brooklyn?

NY

tichellady

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 12:26 am
ra_mom wrote:
It sounds like a disposable aluminum pan is being used as a pot directly on the gas range flame.

Yikes

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 12:57 am
A thought for those who hate washing pots: can you invest in a small dishwasher for dairy? I have a half size for dairy and love it. Or you can melt the cheese on the hot pasta plates individually so the pot is easier to wash.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 1:08 am
Another thought for those who hate cleaning pots: I have one of these and I totally love it. No colander to clean and it's the most non-stick thing ever so cleaning is just a quick wipe (even with melted cheese etc).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007.....38765

Jewishfoodie

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 8:36 am
If you line things with parchment paper and you want the parchment paper to stay in the pan while you prepare food, run the cut sheet under hot water (crumple the sheet into a ball so the whole thing gets wet) and it will easily conform to any shape pan

Optimystic

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 8:58 am
I boil pasta with just enough water that I don't have to drain it, and I add the sauce directly when it is done so that the sauce is heated and the pasta cooled enough that everything is ready to eat immediately. Anonymous disabled, so shh! :)

weasley

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 11:17 am
Optimystic wrote:
I boil pasta with just enough water that I don't have to drain it, and I add the sauce directly when it is done so that the sauce is heated and the pasta cooled enough that everything is ready to eat immediately. Anonymous disabled, so shh! Smile

How do you know how much water that is?

PAMOM

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 11:22 am
Lizard8, where do you get rosemary chocolate! It sounds wonderful.

2qtees

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 3:40 pm
causemommysaid wrote:

I make loads of one pot dinners

Can you share some ideas/recipes?

Optimystic

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 12:02 pm
weasley wrote:
How do you know how much water that is?

Experience!

And, if I underestimate, I add more boiling water. If I overestimate, I have been known to add instant mashed potatoes. :D
Page 12 of 13   Previous  1  2  3 11  12  13  Next Recent Topics