Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Novels for teen girl

avi0903

Post Thu, Jan 12 2012, 10:21 am
Hi - Do any of you have any recommendations for a good book for a teen girl to read? When we go to the library, the shelves are full of fantasy-type books. That is obviously the trend. There are books about vampires, time travel, fantasy worlds, etc. My daughter doesn't like those. There are of course the rest of the books, which are inappropriate romance books. Not so much that I wouldn't let her read them if she wanted to, but she doesn't like them.

What my daughter does like are the books that are similar to Joanna Philbin's The Daughters. This is a new series about how teenage girlfriends cope with their parents being famous. My daughter also liked the Traveling Pants series and the Princess Diaries series.

Any suggestions?

skymile

Post Thu, Jan 12 2012, 11:11 am
I liked the 1-800 where are you series also by meg cabot (author of princess diaries)
and Ally Carter novels. try Uncommon Criminals, Heist Society, etc...

skymile

Post Thu, Jan 12 2012, 11:12 am
go to amazon and choose teen novels. then sort by what genre you want

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jan 12 2012, 12:16 pm
There's a secular book list on chinuch.org. What's great about the list is they mention what's objectionable, knowing people have different standards, so there are a wide variety of books there. I'm not sure how old it goes up to, since much of YA is a wasteland. (Not making any judgment on your standards, just offering this as a source.)
Also, isn't there a website dedicated to, if you like this book you'll like....?

poemmom

Post Thu, Jan 12 2012, 12:29 pm
This is a good age to introduce the classics: Jane Austin, Charlotte Bronte, Victor Hugo, George Elliot, John Steinbeck, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Charles Dickens, etc. (I left out all the sci-fi type stuff since it sounds like she prefers realistic settings)

MommytoB

Post Thu, Jan 12 2012, 5:16 pm
Cornelia and the audacious escapades of the somerset sisters
The Penderwick sisters

lilacdreams

Post Thu, Jan 12 2012, 6:06 pm
my dd just read War Horse, she liked it a lot - movie out this week too.
Aother dd just read The Hunger Games.

avi0903

Post Thu, Jan 12 2012, 7:46 pm
Thanks for all your suggestions. I have heard great things about Hunger Games, and she says a lot of the kids at school are reading the series, but I thinks she's afraid of the scenario, that it may be too violent. It's supposed to be great though. Maybe I should read it - sometimes I like the books meant for teens.

I was thinking that when I was a kid, I read the classics and also was very into Leon Uris books. I gave my daughter Exodus to read, and she sort of liked it but didn't finish it. Did any of you read those books? I still have such great memories of those books.

What do you all have good memories of reading yourselves as teens?

skymile

Post Fri, Jan 13 2012, 10:40 am
what I liked as a teen you said your daughter doesn't want to read Wink I LOVE (yes, present tense) harry potter. I am a huge fan and think they are great. J.K. Rowling is a FANTASTIC author.

I also like Jackie Collins. SOOOO inappropriate for a YA but my mother never checked what I was reading. I also like the gossip girl series and sweet valley high.

skymile

Post Fri, Jan 13 2012, 11:14 am
how about Ann of Green Gables?

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jan 13 2012, 11:21 am
avi0903 wrote:
Thanks for all your suggestions. I have heard great things about Hunger Games, and she says a lot of the kids at school are reading the series, but I thinks she's afraid of the scenario, that it may be too violent. It's supposed to be great though. Maybe I should read it - sometimes I like the books meant for teens.

I was thinking that when I was a kid, I read the classics and also was very into Leon Uris books. I gave my daughter Exodus to read, and she sort of liked it but didn't finish it. Did any of you read those books? I still have such great memories of those books.

What do you all have good memories of reading yourselves as teens?

I liked historical fiction as a teen, like Gone with the Wind....I liked some of the North and South trilogy (skipped parts I didn't like)....my mother used to find me these types of books, can't remember the titles for the life of me but I enjoyed reading about people in a different era.

I also liked classics, Jane Austen was a favorite (maybe fore the same reasons) as well as Daphne Du Maurier (like Rebbeca, and others.)

Last edited by Chayalle on Fri, Jan 13 2012, 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sherri

Post Fri, Jan 13 2012, 11:25 am
I think the Gossip Girl series is highly inappropriate. No need to introduce that to a teenage girl- it doesn't have any literary value, either.

avi0903

Post Fri, Jan 13 2012, 1:22 pm
My daughter watches Gossip Girl - I admit I watch it with her. I started watching it with her just to see what it was, and now it's escapism that we do together. She never read the books.

I also loved Gone with the Wind, and Rebecca. I never read Ann of Green Gables - maybe it's something we could read together.

Did any of you read Harlequin romances in high school? I did - loved them. There was an author named Victoria Holt who was very popular also.

Regarding Harry Potter, I also read all of them, and loved each one. JK Rowling is a master storyteller. She held millions of people's attention for years, waiting for each installment. And did not disappoint.

chocolate chips

Post Fri, Jan 13 2012, 1:31 pm
Little girl on the prarie (series its great!!!!)

me

Post Fri, Jan 13 2012, 1:35 pm
Shannon Hale has some great reads! They are fantasy, but not vampire, zombie, etc. Set more like historical fiction, except it's all fiction. I also love the Bloody Jack series (About a girl who escaped the slums of London and disguised herself as a boy to join the Navy and all of her adventures after). If you let her read The Princess Diaries, maybe you'll be fine then with the Pretty Little Liars series or the The Lying Game both by Sarah Shepard. There is more and I have read all types (my kids are not old enough ;o)...) While in the library, ask the librarian what she would recommend based on the types of books that your daughter likes. Gone With The Wind is too heavy for someone who is reading the books you mentioned. She is probably not up to that yet but Anne of Green Gables is good. What about Pollyanna? So many, many books out there!

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Jan 14 2012, 4:30 pm
Would she enjoy something with historical context? "I, Coriander" by Sally Gardener, Mary Harper's "At the Sign of the Sugar Plum" and sequel "Petals in the Ashes". If she has enjoyed the Lord of the Rings, then go for the original and another Tolkien's work, the Hobbit.

My 9yr old loved Ann of Green Gables and Little House on the Prairie series.

marshmellow

Post Sat, Jan 14 2012, 7:50 pm
I loved Jane Eyre. but when I read it when I was in my early teens I remember being really moved the most by the beginning part when Jane is being mistreated and abused by her family and that all really touched me out of the whole novel! and then of course when I re read it years later I understood all about love
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room