Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Rhyming First Name and Last Name
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 6:02 pm
What do you think of this? I don't want my kid to be taunted as he grows up but there are so many nice boys names that end in "tan" or "an" and so does our last name. The second name will probably be shlomo so I was hoping that would break up the funnies a bit.

joy613

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 7:15 pm
I know of someone who has a rhyming first and last name. She is a bit self conscious about it and when asked her name will only say her first. Unless asked for her last name too.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 7:22 pm
I acquired a rhyming last name when I married my husband. I hate it. It embarrasses me. Perhaps I would feel differently about it had I grown up with it. I prefer to be known by my maiden name, but within the community it is easier to go by my married name. I guess I have gotten used to it over the years, but it still annoys me.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 11:46 am
I say depends if there are many others or if it would be noticed.

WriterMom

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 12:37 pm
Pfft. If it's good enough for Ploni Almoni, what's the problem?

crl

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 12:45 pm
I think it depends on the name. With two different syllables, it might be easier than if it was just one. Like, "Eitan Levitan" doesn't sound bad (sorry if that's your name, haha, I was just making it up!) but Eitan Beitan sounds stupid. I don't even know if thats a name, but thats my general gist.

Also, side point, my husband knows someone named Gold who married a girl named Goldie...her name is now Goldie Gold. That must be way worse than rhyming!

(Apologies to anyone who is actually named Goldie Gold....)

elaela

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 12:48 pm
if it is something like natan avshan I think its ok, but I teach a boy whose name is sth like ben hen or liron miron (I dont want to write the real name of course ) and soooo many ppl make fun of this poor boy. he is such a good boy, why did the parents do this to him? his first name has a beautiful meaning (btw. all his siblings have rare but STUNNING names) - still unfortunately he has to hear many comments .

amother

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 12:49 pm
I know someone lily and she married a man with the family name rose. but she kept her last name and now family name is kahnrose.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 2:35 pm
Thanks everyone for the replies. The name would probably sound something like Eitan Lewtan (made up name). In english it wouldn't sound so bad but the hebrew pronunciation of "tan" is making life so difficult! Maybe I"ll try to find a name more like Mayan Lewtan. Not as bad right? I keep on thinking of Jack Black Smile

Alef Bais

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 4:11 pm
When I got married, my first and last names rhymed. I couldn't have been happier since I liked writing poetry when I was younger!

anonymom

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 4:43 pm
Besides the two you mentioned, are there so many names with that ending? If you don't have to name after someone with one of those names, just pick another name.

Even if not for your last name, when he has his aufruf, he'll be called Hachatan Eitan.

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 5:05 pm
anonymom wrote:
Besides the two you mentioned, are there so many names with that ending? If you don't have to name after someone with one of those names, just pick another name.

Even if not for your last name, when he has his aufruf, he'll be called Hachatan Eitan.

This.

Please don't do this. You obviously want to, and want to know if it could be ok, but a lot of people up there are telling you it's not necessarily so ok, to varying degrees. If even one person says it's awful, and at least one has, don't take a chance. You will figure something else out for DS.

But it's great that you asked; it shows the beauty of your participation in this online community. And Mazel Tov.

observer

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 6:39 pm
amother wrote:
I acquired a rhyming last name when I married my husband. I hate it. It embarrasses me. Perhaps I would feel differently about it had I grown up with it. I prefer to be known by my maiden name, but within the community it is easier to go by my married name. I guess I have gotten used to it over the years, but it still annoys me.

You'd probably feel worse about it had you grown up with is, since we all know how brutal little kids can be in taunting others.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 6:50 pm
You guys are probably right. There are so many other names out there other than ones that end in "tan" and "an" even though I find that I'm liking so many of them! I really appreciate all your replies and input and now will be on the hunt for another name that doesn't rhyme with our last name or my daughter's name Smile.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jan 19 2012, 7:03 am
Dolly Welsh wrote:
If even one person says it's awful, and at least one has, don't take a chance.

It's not a way to live.

CatLady

Post Thu, Jan 19 2012, 7:22 am
Rhyming names are a really bad idea IMO. They're a running joke on TV: Like Hannah Montana, Mary Cherry or Marcy Darcy. There are so many lovely names to choose from, why set your child up for being the target of teasing?

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Jan 19 2012, 10:05 am
Ruchel wrote:
Dolly Welsh wrote:
If even one person says it's awful, and at least one has, don't take a chance.

It's not a way to live.

I meant, because this is going to affect someone else, who can't object or participate in the decision. I didn't mean OP should never take any risks with her OWN life and concerns.

invisiblecircus

Post Mon, Feb 25 2013, 11:39 pm
I don't think that adding Shlomo as a middle name helps because many people will just use the first name even if you tell them not to.

Culturedpearls

Post Tue, Feb 26 2013, 2:24 am
Please choose another name. Your son will be grateful.

imaima

Post Tue, Feb 26 2013, 2:58 am
anonymom wrote:

Following your logic, all the -tan names just shouldn't be used at all, rght? Or, all the -tan boys should never get married. Because obviously, on this very special day all the guests will make fun of him because, GASP his name rhymes with the word Chatan!!

Rolling Eyes
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names