Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Paleo Shabbos Meal- Frugally? (Paleo=no grain, no legume)
Previous  1  2

Seraph

Post Thu, Jan 19 2012, 4:33 pm
justcallmeima wrote:
If he's a close relative, then he knows you just had a baby, and that you live on a tight budget. Would it be ok for you to ask him to bring something? That's what I would do in this situation.
This person is practically homeless right now, so can't really cook to bring something along.

abby1776

Post Thu, Jan 19 2012, 4:40 pm
Mushrooms are very meaty and can be very filling - what about a mushroom stew? Do you have different kinds of mushrooms or only white button tops?

The stew could be a saute of various mashrooms and onions (maybe even cabbage) with a sauce from stock?

Seraph

Post Thu, Jan 19 2012, 4:42 pm
abby1776 wrote:
Mushrooms are very meaty and can be very filling - what about a mushroom stew? Do you have different kinds of mushrooms or only white button tops?

The stew could be a saute of various mashrooms and onions (maybe even cabbage) with a sauce from stock?
I just have plain ol canned mushrooms.

abby1776

Post Thu, Jan 19 2012, 4:44 pm
Here is a mushroom stew recipe - I am sure you can work with it -

Creamy mushroom stew recipe
Serves 4

Ingredients
•1 lb of mixed mushrooms, chopped with tough portion of stems removed (I used Portobello and White Button mushrooms and found them to be a great combination);
•¼ cup of butter or ghee;
•2 onions, chopped;
•4 cloves garlic, minced;
•Handful of fresh thyme, leaves picked;
•¼ cup or so of red wine (this is really to taste, depending on how strong you want the flavor of the wine to be. A nice alternative to this would be fresh beef stock);
•½ cup of heavy cream or full-fat coconut milk;
•2 green onions, chopped;
•Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste;
Preparation
1.Before chopping the mushrooms, rinse them to remove any excess dirt and then pat dry.
2.Heat a large skillet over a medium heat. Add the butter butter or ghee.
3.Stir-in the onions and garlic. Cook until they begin to brown, about 7 minutes.
4.Add the mushrooms and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. After cooking for a few minutes you will notice that they let off moisture. You want to continue cooking until this moisture evaporates entirely.
5.Add the wine or stock as well as the heavy cream or coconut milk and stir well to ensure that the flavors are dispersed evenly.
6.Once the stew has simmered for a few minutes, add in the thyme leaves, green onions and adjust the salt and pepper seasoning. Allow to sit on a low heat for a few more minutes so that it thickens.
This stew is now complete. It is best served when in the “comfort” state-of-mind, but can really be enjoyed at anytime.

abby1776

Post Thu, Jan 19 2012, 4:47 pm
Instead of a mushroom stew - a similar concept would be a vegtable stew:
make a sauce with the tomotoe paste and add the leek, zuccinie, squash, carrots, beets, califlower, etc.
serve over quinoa

abby1776

Post Thu, Jan 19 2012, 4:51 pm
Some vegtable stew recipes - which I am sure you can adapt to what you currently have in your pantry because you are really good at adapting recipes:

http://www.food.com/recipe/hea.....23428

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/b.....stew/

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/m.....stew/

http://www.grouprecipes.com/53......html

http://www.grouprecipes.com/12......html

nylon

Post Thu, Jan 19 2012, 6:04 pm
From my understanding of paleo, quinoa is not ok, though you can ask your relative.

It is a very expensive diet (and I got this from someone who loved it but said it was unsustainable on her income)

Seraph

Post Fri, Jan 20 2012, 12:16 am
nylon wrote:
From my understanding of paleo, quinoa is not ok, though you can ask your relative.

It is a very expensive diet (and I got this from someone who loved it but said it was unsustainable on her income)
I double checked (both online and with the relative)- quinoa is ok, because its a seed, not a grain. Some people do avoid grain like seeds, but this relative doesnt...

tell me about the price... paleo is a fortune bec all the cheap stuff are out... some people recommended it to me bec of my stomach issues. When I told them (not jewish) that it was too expensive, they suggested I go hunting or buy game from hunters, or buy a whole cow... Or eat roadkill. (Yes, some people do!)
Yea...

I think anyone who thinks paleo isnt so expensive isnt dealing with prices of kosher meat...

If I had no choice but to do paleo, I'd live off of chicken gizzards, chicken necks, maybe rarely chicken wings (more expensive than the other two), and eggs, and try to grow my own veggie garden and forage a ton and buy only seasonal produce...
And even so, my grocery bill would probably be twice the cost of what it is now on our gluten free diet, and 4 times or more what it was before I went gluten free...

RachelEve14

Post Fri, Jan 20 2012, 12:48 am
Sereph, I suggest what others have said about a nice hearty stew. Bulk it with veggies he can have, and the meat you have. Leave it in the crock pot for Shabbot day. It will be yum and as cheap as you can get away with.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking