Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
How to COMPLETELY cut out sugar?
1  2  Next

4ofus

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 9:36 am
My name is banana and I'm a sugaraholic. Ok, now that I've admitted that I have a problem please help me fix it. I CRAVE sugar more than water. I need it for breakfast, lunch, supper and snacks. At night, I'm capable of demolishing a half a box of cereal by myself.

I really want to go on a sugar detox but I can't figure out how that's possible. Almost everything has sugar. Bread, crackers, fruit, yogurt, some veggies and basically anything that tastes good! What's left to eat?

I'm also trying to fill up on protein but I don't like to eat meat in middle of the day, I don't like tofu and I can't find many good bean recipes.

So, any of you out there cut sugar out of your life? How did you do it? What do you eat? Is life still worth living?! LOL

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 9:42 am
Banana wrote:
My name is banana and I'm a sugaraholic. Ok, now that I've admitted that I have a problem please help me fix it. I CRAVE sugar more than water. I need it for breakfast, lunch, supper and snacks. At night, I'm capable of demolishing a half a box of cereal by myself.

I really want to go on a sugar detox but I can't figure out how that's possible. Almost everything has sugar. Bread, crackers, fruit, yogurt, some veggies and basically anything that tastes good! What's left to eat?

I'm also trying to fill up on protein but I don't like to eat meat in middle of the day, I don't like tofu and I can't find many good bean recipes.

So, any of you out there cut sugar out of your life? How did you do it? What do you eat? Is life still worth living?! LOL

Life is worth way more when you're off your sugar craving. When you can eat decent food and lose weight and have energy.

I am completely off sugar on a daily basis. My diet is admittedly very limited for now because of the sensitivities my breastfed girls have. But there are SO many foods without sugar if you are serious about this.

I eat a lot of fish, chicken and meat. Veggies is great.

The truth is that I don't think your issue is so much finding the right foods as much as going through the withdrawal phase. It takes a few weeks to not crave sugar any longer and it's tough to go through those first few weeks. But it's SO worth it.

Inspired

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 9:44 am
Processed sugar and natural sugar (fruits) are not the same. If you want tips to cut out processed sugar lmk.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 10:15 am
I tried Atkins for 3 days - I couldn't tolerate the Brain Fog!
I now eat fruit in moderation and vegis - and with a support system in place, I do not crave sugar.
Detox and behavior mod are a challenge, but I did it with the help of OA, and I hope never to go back - I don't want food to rule my life.

Simple1

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 10:21 am
Do you need to completely cut out sugar? Unless there is a medical reason, it doesn't need to be all or nothing. It might be easier to gradually find more and more foods you like that don't have sugar.

Personally I don't like real foods with sugar - ex I dislike salad dressings that have a lot of sugar in them. Same with tomato sauces. Sweet kugels are desserts in my house. So maybe you can develop your taste to prefer foods with less sugar. (One exception- for some reason I like sweet and tangy sauces on chicken)

tsiggelle

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 10:21 am
if there are no sugar/diabetes issues, I'd take off refined sugars first

then simple carbs

then stay with a few complex carbs and fruit

the first few weeks or so are usually harder.

Pineapple

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 10:41 am
Bean soups are healthy,filling and sugar free

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 10:54 am
I have pretty much cut out refined sugars and carbs. I detoxed through the HHCG diet I used, and through the maintenance and beyond have pretty much stayed off of them.

I also used to be a major sugar freak. Now, it doesn't tempt me at all.

I eat a lot of proteins, veggies, full fat foods and try to stick to lower sugar fruits.

If you need it, you can do some sugar free/carb free baking.

Another poster here recommended using recipes from elanaspantry.com and substituting the sugars (she mainly uses silan) with a mixture of sugar free applesauce and sweetener (I use Stevia). It works. I've made a number of very tasty baked items. They are though relatively high in calories so I must still limit my consumption of them.

4ofus

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 3:10 pm
Inspired wrote:
Processed sugar and natural sugar (fruits) are not the same. If you want tips to cut out processed sugar lmk.

I would love tips, thanks!

4ofus

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 3:12 pm
Simple1 wrote:
Do you need to completely cut out sugar? Unless there is a medical reason, it doesn't need to be all or nothing. It might be easier to gradually find more and more foods you like that don't have sugar.

Idon't have a medical reason (yet) but my father and grandfather both developed type 2 diabetes so it's probably in my genes although I'm not at all overweight.

I rather completely cut it out and then slowly add some back in.

4ofus

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 3:14 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I have pretty much cut out refined sugars and carbs. I detoxed through the HHCG diet I used, and through the maintenance and beyond have pretty much stayed off of them.

I eat a lot of proteins, veggies, full fat foods and try to stick to lower sugar fruits.

Another poster here recommended using recipes from elanaspantry.com and substituting the sugars (she mainly uses silan) with a mixture of sugar free applesauce and sweetener (I use Stevia). It works. I've made a number of very tasty baked items. They are though relatively high in calories so I must still limit my consumption of them.

Can you please tell me what proteins you typically have in a day. I only like fleishigs at night and don't like tofu. Also, which fruits are low in sugar?

Edited to add that I don't like to use artificial sweeteners because of health reasons.

Thanks

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 3:20 pm
Banana wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:

Can you please tell me what proteins you typically have in a day. I only like fleishigs at night and don't like tofu. Also, which fruits are low in sugar?

Thanks

I commonly eat fish (usually tilapia) for lunch and either chicken or beef for supper. I don't mind eating flesihig in the middle of the day though and do sometimes have chicken for lunch. I don't eat tofu either, and don't care for yogurts. Some times I eat tuna and veggies with melted cheese on it (a tuna melt minus the bread). I don't have a real varied diet. I do also drink milk.

For fruits, I mainly stay with apples, strawberries, some oranges. I'm sure there's others, but that's what works for me. The highest sugar fruits are things like melons, peaches, nectarines.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 3:22 pm
Banana wrote:

Edited to add that I don't like to use artificial sweeteners because of health reasons.

Thanks

You might want to look into Stevia as it doesn't have the same issues as other artificial sweeteners, but if you can avoid all of them, that's great. I have too much of a sweet tooth to do that (though I mainly use the sweetener in my tea and coffee and sometimes on strawberries). Or when I occasionally bake without sugar and flour.

tsiggelle

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 3:30 pm
keep the complex carbs in your diet.

simchamommy

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 3:40 pm
OOT Bubby - what do you bake without sugar or flour?

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 3:43 pm
simchamommy wrote:
OOT Bubby - what do you bake without sugar or flour?

There's some muffin, cookie & cake recipes. Go to elanaspantry.com and look at her recipes. Then, based on suggestion of someone here, I substitute the sugar (she mainly uses silan) with unsweetened applesauce mixed with Stevia.

These things are sugar and flour free, but are still quite caloric if that is a concern.

grace413

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 3:46 pm
I have been on low carb/no sugar for about 18 months. I can't honestly say that I don't miss it - if you put a cake in front of me, I'm sure I could finish the whole thing off. However, I do feel healthier, less tired, more energy.

Here's what I eat:
Breakfast: cottage cheese and salad
Lunch: tuna/eggs/cheese
Dinner: chicken/beef/fish/salad
Snacks: more of the above, a bit of salami, a few nuts - almonds/macadamia/walnuts, cucumber, green pepper.

Also chicken or beef soup, sometimes a small portion of vegetable soup.
I have one small piece of challah Friday night and Shabbos lunch.

I think it's best to cut out all sugar and tough it out for the first week - cravings generally subside once you get all the carbs out of your system. Melons (not watermelon) and berries are the lowest carb fruits.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 3:50 pm
I also snack on nuts (dried roasted almonds) and sunflower seeds.

I avoid challah and wash on whole wheat matza.

Like grace413, I could still eat a whole cake, but I don't crave sugar. If it is in front me though, I find it hard to resist, so I keep nothing of that sort around (and even avoid going some places where possible if they'll be too much of a temptation).

freidasima

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 3:58 pm
I eat no added sugar either.
Meaning I do not eat any processed foods whatsoever. The only sucrose, fructose, etc. I have is that which naturally exists within existing foods in nature. I also don't eat any dairy. Or fat.

It means that I have a banana and herbal tea for breakfast or an apple, have a few glasses of water and maybe a cucumber or a yellow pepper for a snack, for lunch I have either an egg and salad with whole wheat bread or rice crackers, and a clementina or homemade onion soup with salad and bread or something like that. For dinner I have a bowl of lentil or chicken soup, a big piece of chicken or meat, cooked rice or kasha or quinoa or whole wheat macaroni, and lettuce and cucumber salad and if I really crave something sweet then a few dried dates. I take vitamin D and C , vitamin E, when I'm low I take B12 but I've been pretty ok with that, and occasionally calcium because it's problematic (for heart).

Does wonders for the complexion, for the diet, for health in general.

4ofus

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 7:08 pm
grace413 wrote:
I have been on low carb/no sugar for about 18 months. I can't honestly say that I don't miss it - if you put a cake in front of me, I'm sure I could finish the whole thing off. However, I do feel healthier, less tired, more energy.

Here's what I eat:
Breakfast: cottage cheese and salad
Lunch: tuna/eggs/cheese
Dinner: chicken/beef/fish/salad
Snacks: more of the above, a bit of salami, a few nuts - almonds/macadamia/walnuts, cucumber, green pepper.

Also chicken or beef soup, sometimes a small portion of vegetable soup.
I have one small piece of challah Friday night and Shabbos lunch.

I think it's best to cut out all sugar and tough it out for the first week - cravings generally subside once you get all the carbs out of your system. Melons (not watermelon) and berries are the lowest carb fruits.

OH my, I really don't understand how you're not starving. I start shaking if I don't have a carb (whole wheat) by every meal. Your menu seems to me like very little food, aren't you hungry?

Also, isn't fish every day not good because of mercury?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking