Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Can I leave the kids alone?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Jan 24 2012, 4:19 pm
I get together with my friends approximately once a week for "game" night (anything from Scrabble to Monopoly, to nothing at all). I've been doing it for a few years. We meet for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours and my dh babysits. I love it and it's so great for me to get out (stay in) with friends.

Last year my dh joined a night kollel that he goes to a couple of nights a week, one night being on my game night. We usually meet at 8:00 and kollel started at 9:00, so I would come home after an hour so he could go learn. I really hated leaving early, but we didn't want to have to worry about getting a babysitter every week.

My oldest (a boy) is 12, and I'm wondering if this year I really have to bother coming home early. By 9:00, all of the other kids are in bed sleeping, probably sleeping. Only my oldest is still out of bed (and possibly my second oldest, a 10 year old). I'm only 4 blocks away, with my car, and I could be home within a minute if I'm needed.

Do you think I can have my son "babysit" while I'm gone. He would have no responsibilities except to call me if one of the other kids get up, and I'd be home in a minute, even faster than I often respond when I'm at home. I'm a little nervous with the idea of it, but I'm really wondering if it isn't time to try.

EmesOrNT

Post Tue, Jan 24 2012, 4:21 pm
I was babysitting for neighbors at that age. It depends on how responsible he is.

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Jan 24 2012, 4:25 pm
I personally wouldn't do it but I am scared and I wasn't brought up this way. But if you have Jewish neighbors/friendly neighbors that can check in or he can call if CH"V something happens then I don't see why not.
Make sure he has a phone with him and he knows contact numbers. Also if he is responsible.

Simple1

Post Tue, Jan 24 2012, 4:31 pm
You probably will get different opinions, but I think it's OK. But it definitely depends on your child and situation, and you have to be the one to decide that it's ok for you.

I've had people almost begging my dd to babysit at 12 and I had to tell them, sorry, my dd wasn't comfortable doing it in other peoples homes at night yet. In our own home it's different I've let my 12 yo babysit when the little ones are sleeping.

morah

Post Tue, Jan 24 2012, 4:49 pm
Is your son mature and responsible? Also, ask him. 12 is very borderline- some can do it, others can't. Ask your son how comfortable he feels with the arrangement.

middy

Post Tue, Jan 24 2012, 4:51 pm
I would if he's ok with it and after having a fire drill to make sure he can evacuate safely if need be

shanie5

Post Tue, Jan 24 2012, 10:18 pm
How many other children are there? I leave my 12 year old to watch the baby when I am only a few blocks away, but for me it would depend on how many other children there are if C"V there is an emergency.

opinionatedbubby

Post Tue, Jan 24 2012, 11:55 pm
Sounds OK to me. II would do it.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 25 2012, 8:38 am
shanie5 wrote:
How many other children are there? I leave my 12 year old to watch the baby when I am only a few blocks away, but for me it would depend on how many other children there are if C"V there is an emergency.

This is why I feel nervous. It's 6 kids. Quite a lot to manage in an emergency. My 2 oldest are both very responsible though.

shanie5

Post Wed, Jan 25 2012, 3:49 pm
That is a lot of responsibility-if c"v s/t happens.
And 4 blocks can depend on where you live too. By me 4 blocks is less than a minute. In Boro park or flatbush it can be 10 minutes.

According to your first post, your son would be in charge for about 30 minutes to 1 hour-right? If the 4 block distance is a fast return one, I would probably try it out for 1/2 hour one week and see what happens.

One precaution note. If c"v the police show up and find a 12 year old watching 6 younger children...............

amother

Post Tue, Jul 03 2012, 12:39 pm
Does anyone know what the minimum age is for a child to be left on his own at home in the US?
I don't think there are such rules in Israel, so that's why im' asking.
New York to be specific.

Post Tue, Jul 03 2012, 12:54 pm
It can vary between states. 12 is officially old enough to stay by themselves in NYS. They cannot babysit officially.

Big problem for a family in my town that did that this week. It was a boy of twelve and he was watching 3 younger. The jewish neighbor called the police.

cm

Post Tue, Jul 03 2012, 1:03 pm
Plenty of kids babysit at age 12.

There appears to be no minimum age for leaving children alone in NY: http://www.latchkey-kids.com/l.....s.htm

It really depends on the child. Teach him how to call 911/Hatzoloh (he should know this anyway). If all the little ones will be asleep he won't have much to do for them - it would be different if they were all awake and needing attention. Having a trusted neighbor (Jewish or not) is a bonus but not strictly necessary.

Last edited by cm on Tue, Jul 03 2012, 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 03 2012, 1:06 pm
I once went to a shiur day and the sitters ranged from 6 to 12, in a separate building. shock

Sherri

Post Tue, Jul 03 2012, 1:08 pm
Squishy wrote:
It can vary between states. 12 is officially old enough to stay by themselves in NYS. They cannot babysit officially.

Big problem for a family in my town that did that this week. It was a boy of twelve and he was watching 3 younger. The jewish neighbor called the police.
Confused Question

Post Tue, Jul 03 2012, 1:18 pm
cm wrote:

There appears to be no minimum age for leaving children alone in NY: http://www.latchkey-kids.com/l.....s.htm

It really depends on the child. Teach him how to call 911/Hatzoloh (he should know this anyway). If all the little ones will be asleep he won't have much to do for them - it would be different if they were all awake and needing attention. Having a trusted neighbor (Jewish or not) is a bonus but not strictly necessary.

There is a government site I looked this up on. I can't cut and paste on my phone. When I heard the problem with the family. I checked because my kids are not 12 yet.

Anyway CPS is involved with that family in an investigation. I also had thought there was no minimum age. Also, leaving a child alone is a lot different than babysitting.

imasinger

Post Tue, Jul 03 2012, 1:21 pm
If it were me and I thought my 12 year old could handle it, I'd try it once and see.

Post Tue, Jul 03 2012, 1:24 pm
cm wrote:

The information is provided by NY Office of Children and Family Services. This is surely better info than latchkey kids.

Post Tue, Jul 03 2012, 1:26 pm
imasinger wrote:
If it were me and I thought my 12 year old could handle it, I'd try it once and see.

But would you if it were not legal to do so? I would also do so if it were legal in my state.

momtherapist

Post Tue, Jul 03 2012, 1:31 pm
you should definitely check the age for your state. in some states, there isnt a specific age, but there is a criteria and checklist that you would check to make sure that your child can be responsible. obviously, if the child is worried or scared or unsure, it might not be a good idea. they need to know what to do in case of an emergency, and you need to know the dynamics of your kids if they were up, etc. I do think, based on your description that it would be fine, but you'd want to go over some details with the kid, and only leave him for short periods of time, and check in with him to make sure that he's good with it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics