Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Leaving your cart in line when grocery (vent)
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Thu, Jan 26 2012, 2:51 pm
I live in Miami Beach and we only have this problem in the winter, when people from a certain nameless region come down in droves and impose their rude shopping habits in our stores. The lack of kavod habrios is nauseating, and the locals all avoid the stores they frequent in the winter. Even the non Jewish store workers talk about the frum tourists disdainfully. It is so embarrassing.

Lani22

Post Thu, Jan 26 2012, 3:00 pm
amother wrote:
I live in Miami Beach and we only have this problem in the winter, when people from a certain nameless region come down in droves and impose their rude shopping habits in our stores. The lack of kavod habrios is nauseating, and the locals all avoid the stores they frequent in the winter. Even the non Jewish store workers talk about the frum tourists disdainfully. It is so embarrassing.

I hate this attitude of the locals. We all come down to miami for vacation. We eat in your (not so good and expensive) restaurants shop in your grocery stores and stay in your hotels. I understand that some ny'ers can be rude and its annoying to be inconvenienced by the crowds but we bring a tremendous amount of revenue to the kosher establishments. So I think you should be a tad bit more understanding...... sorry to get off topic but this has bugged me for yrs

amother

Post Thu, Jan 26 2012, 3:49 pm
funny that this thread just came up...
I was shopping in landaus grocery in williamburg on Monday or Tuesday this week. (not sure...) I was holding a few items and waiting in line. I saw the guy from the next register coming so I switched and waited a min till he came. finally he sets up booth and in a split second the non-jewish woman that was in front of me in the other line just moves in in front of me and hands over her stuff for the guy. I look her in the eyes and she blankly stares back at me. so I make an expression like wasn't I here? and she stares me down, pays for her purchase and leaves!
I know ppl do this stuff alot. and other things written below, but we only see what is happening in our neighborhoods. a certain percentage of all mankind are this way. m'zeit noor dee eigena shmitz.

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Jan 26 2012, 4:03 pm
NY shopping experience is rude awful and pushy.
I hate it.
But you can't change the world.

kb

Post Thu, Jan 26 2012, 4:49 pm
I don't like it either.

One time, though, I went shopping without my baby, and thought I would have enough room in my hands for everything I needed. I live in Israel, and you need to have 5 shekel as a deposit to get a wagon, I didn't have change, so I figured I'll manage without. Then, I realized I needed 2 more things, and I couldn't hold anything else.

So I went over to a checkout aisle - someone was paying and no one else was on the line and put down all my stuff. Then I went to get the last few items. And then when I came back, there were 4 people waiting, and the cashier told them all I was there first. And no one said anything.

I felt bad about it, though, cuz it's not my type of thing to do.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 26 2012, 4:56 pm
kb wrote:
I don't like it either.

One time, though, I went shopping without my baby, and thought I would have enough room in my hands for everything I needed. I live in Israel, and you need to have 5 shekel as a deposit to get a wagon, I didn't have change, so I figured I'll manage without. Then, I realized I needed 2 more things, and I couldn't hold anything else.

So I went over to a checkout aisle - someone was paying and no one else was on the line and put down all my stuff. Then I went to get the last few items. And then when I came back, there were 4 people waiting, and the cashier told them all I was there first. And no one said anything.

I felt bad about it, though, cuz it's not my type of thing to do.

Then you had a very nice cashier.

I work as a cashier, and I would usually do the other people and let you waiting, and say that I didn't tell you I would be keeping you a place.

I will pm you to show you I don't mean it personally, it's just one of my methods of work.

Btw, we do have baskets, and bags for those who don't want/need wagons.

cm

Post Thu, Jan 26 2012, 4:57 pm
Lani22 wrote:
amother wrote:

I hate this attitude of the locals. We all come down to miami for vacation. We eat in your (not so good and expensive) restaurants shop in your grocery stores and stay in your hotels. I understand that some ny'ers can be rude and its annoying to be inconvenienced by the crowds but we bring a tremendous amount of revenue to the kosher establishments. So I think you should be a tad bit more understanding...... sorry to get off topic but this has bugged me for yrs

But is it so hard to behave properly (or properly according to local standards) while spending your money on vacation?

cm

Post Thu, Jan 26 2012, 4:59 pm
Very rarely, I encounter a shopper who perhaps doesn't realize that the line is going this way, not that way, and cuts in front. I have no problem saying "Excuse me, the end of the line is over there." But the sort of behavior described here - never! I can't imagine how rude!

Barbara

Post Thu, Jan 26 2012, 5:02 pm
You think that's bad?

I was in a kosher grocery store, waiting my turn, when a woman walked right in front of me and said, "I'm double parked, so I need to get out quickly." Because, of course, the fact that "I" bothered to get a legal parking spot means that I have all the time in the world, and should wait for her. The store's owner, BTW, checked her out before me. And permanently lost my business.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 26 2012, 5:06 pm
cm wrote:
Lani22 wrote:
amother wrote:

But is it so hard to behave properly (or properly according to local standards) while spending your money on vacation?

agreed. we aren't objecting to you being there, we're objecting to the way some people behave. we don't have a problem with you eating in your restaurants - as a matter of fact the owners are probably thrilled. but some people are loud, insensitive, and just plain rude to the locals, as well as the cashiers, etc. just keep in mind that while you may be on vacation and spending money in our establishments, we have to go on with our daily lives, and most of us are getting no benefit from your eating and shopping - yet we still have to deal with the long lines, and the all too often rude/pushiness.

Tova

Post Thu, Jan 26 2012, 5:19 pm
Barbara wrote:
You think that's bad?

I was in a kosher grocery store, waiting my turn, when a woman walked right in front of me and said, "I'm double parked, so I need to get out quickly." Because, of course, the fact that "I" bothered to get a legal parking spot means that I have all the time in the world, and should wait for her. The store's owner, BTW, checked her out before me. And permanently lost my business.

Oh my - I laughed out loud here. I want to think of a limud zechus but honestly if there was a reason for the emergency she should have said - "ie, I have my daughter in labor in the car."

Cookie Monster

Post Thu, Jan 26 2012, 5:48 pm
As a young kid (10 or 11) I used to make my moms grocery orders. The adults used to ask/ say I have just two items, can I go ahead ofyou? I was too intimitaded to stand up for myself, but when a line-full of ppl did that to me, the cashier finally put a stop to it. This used to happen on a weekly basis.

EmesOrNT

Post Thu, Jan 26 2012, 6:00 pm
Tova wrote:
Barbara wrote:
You think that's bad?

Oh my - I laughed out loud here. I want to think of a limud zechus but honestly if there was a reason for the emergency she should have said - "ie, I have my daughter in labor in the car."

I've heard the excuse "I left my kids in the car." Um, hello??

Inspired

Post Thu, Jan 26 2012, 6:08 pm
Lani22 wrote:
amother wrote:

So, if your a tourist you don't have to behave decently? I should go on vacation once just so I can have a free ticket to act like an a s s then. Seriously? was that a serious post?

Lani22

Post Thu, Jan 26 2012, 6:13 pm
Inspired wrote:
Lani22 wrote:
amother wrote:

So, if your a tourist you don't have to behave decently? I should go on vacation once just so I can have a free ticket to act like an a s s then. Seriously? was that a serious post?

Im not saying its right to act rude at all. Im saying its a minority ( I have been going to miami for winter vacation since im 5 yrs old and I cannot recall seeing rude bahavior.... ) the restaurants and stores get very very crowded and im sure its stressful for everyone. I think its exxagerating to say all the ny's who come are rude and dont behave decently.....

amother

Post Thu, Jan 26 2012, 6:34 pm
Lani22 wrote:
Inspired wrote:
Lani22 wrote:
amother wrote:

Im not saying its right to act rude at all. Im saying its a minority ( I have been going to miami for winter vacation since im 5 yrs old and I cannot recall seeing rude bahavior.... ) the restaurants and stores get very very crowded and im sure its stressful for everyone. I think its exxagerating to say all the ny's who come are rude and dont behave decently.....

Uh, I didn't say all NYers do this. I said its only a problem when they are here. Although from the tone of your posts, it sounds like you would fit right in with that category.

Oh, and if you find the restaurants expensive and not that good, you are welcome to just not eat in them.

I am so nauseated by the attitude of "we are supporting your local shops so you should be eternally grateful and overlook our disregard for normal social behaviors." I'm not complaining that the stores get crowded. I'm complaining that people act rude and inconsiderate.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 26 2012, 7:45 pm
Dear NYers who was annoying and said that you give our shops lots of revenue,
YOU DONT. GET OVER IT. My 600 dollar a week grocery bill does. And me eating out does. And people living here make the restaurants go.

NYers come to Miami you cant figure out HOW to drive down 41st, YOU CRASHED INTO THE BACK OF MY CAR TODAY trying to beat a red light, and you complain about everything. Really, and you cant say please or thank you. And you come daven in our shuls and dont leave a donation after eating at a kiddush in our shuls. Really? You give us revenue.

Do you know workers in Jewish stores QUIT because of the nasty NY attitude? A girl that worked in a restaurant, who was off the derech and the owner gave her a job bc he beleives she just need some love QUIT because a NYer called her a dirty shiksha. So you may not all be rude, but with my expierance as an 8 year resident here, and from another OOT community before here, yes, NYers, you are rude.

chavamom

Post Thu, Jan 26 2012, 8:03 pm
amother wrote:
chavamom wrote:
Just an observation. I don't have this experience with non jews. When was the last time "Sally Shiksa" got in line and then had 5 friends that came and said "I'm with her" and pushed 5 carts in front of you? So why do [some] Jews think this is OK?????

I had this experience with representatives of other ethnical minorities that are as "cliquey" as Jews are. Unfortunately, they were not brought up with the fear of hillul Hashem.

Apparently many Jews are not deterred by chillul Hashem either!

chavamom

Post Thu, Jan 26 2012, 8:08 pm
Yeah, there is a huge chillul Hashem problem in the Catskills too - and then people say "there is nothing else going on here, they should be grateful we come at all." Oy.

amother
Starflower

Post Thu, Jan 26 2012, 8:10 pm
Rabbi Paysach Krohn calls it the new way of "shopping on line"

Last edited by amother on Tue, Nov 09 2021, 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics