Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Cheap way to wrap a present please.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 10:49 pm
Can someone tell me how to wrap presents cheaply?

I bought three stretchies and a hat for $8.00. I ended up buying a pink shopping bag and tissue paper for $3.37 to wrap a baby gift. Can someone please advice me on a way to wrap presents cheaper?

debsters1101

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 10:51 pm
buy the same items in the dollar store!! they have perfectly good pink tissue paper and gift bags.

DrMom

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 12:21 am
debsters1101 wrote:
buy the same items in the dollar store!! they have perfectly good pink tissue paper and gift bags.

Yup.

Also, nix the shopping bags -- they are expensive.

If you don't have a box, wrap in tissue paper and tie with ribbon. It's much cheaper. If the tissue paper is too likely to tear this way, wrap in cellophane and tissue paper, gather and tie in a bow with a ribbon.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 12:40 am
The dollar store is still $2.15 for a bag and tissue.

This present is on a hanger with the stretchies. I would do the cellophane; but how do you present it without a box?

amother

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 8:45 am
When I was a kid I would sometimes get gifts wrapped in newspaper or brown paper grocery bags. Nobody does that anymore but it would certainly be cheap.

DrMom

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 9:04 am
Maybe you can remove the hanger and roll up the stretchies place the hat on the outside of the roll (like you are rolling sushi), and tie the whole bundle with a ribbon?

Also, some places in Israel use gift bags - not flat-bottomed tote-style bags with handles, but envelope-type bags that can be sealed and decorated with a simple ribbon row.

[Lesson learned: Next time, buy a toy that comes in a nice rectangular box. Wrap with paper, done.]

amother

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 9:05 am
In my community, I could not wrap a present in newspapers unless it was small. I would get a lot of grief for even having them. The kosher papers are small. Brown paper bags are out because we are not given any. I liked the idea. I could have used twine or ribbon.

I have way too many gifts I am expected to give. In January, I gave six baby gifts. I discovered Costco has cheap Carters stretchies but they don't have the boxes. The wrapping is really hurting my budget.

Simple1

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 9:43 am
amother wrote:
The dollar store is still $2.15 for a bag and tissue.

This present is on a hanger with the stretchies. I would do the cellophane; but how do you present it without a box?

Which dollar store is that? Aren't items supposed to cost $1? In Dollar Tree you can get nice ones for a dollar, but they have plainer ones which come 2 in a pack - so that's 50 cents a piece. You can decorate with curly ribbon if you want.

little_mage

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 9:45 am
amother wrote:
In my community, I could not wrap a present in newspapers unless it was small. I would get a lot of grief for even having them. The kosher papers are small. Brown paper bags are out because we are not given any. I liked the idea. I could have used twine or ribbon.

I have way too many gifts I am expected to give. In January, I gave six baby gifts. I discovered Costco has cheap Carters stretchies but they don't have the boxes. The wrapping is really hurting my budget.

Do you have other kids? Could you get them to stamp some papers for you do use as wrapping paper? It might be a fun project to potato stamp or something and then you'd have a bunch.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 9:55 am
I will try dollar tree. I usually pay $1.00 for the bag and another for the tissue paper. I had at one time bought a bunch of giftbags I think from CVS for $10.00. I think I got a couple dozen plus, a nice storage folder for them. That was a few years ago. I am interested in such a buy our other cheap ideas.

I like the cellophane; but with this present, I would need a tray. Maybe I could wrap wrapping paper over cardboard and then use that as a base and finish with cellophane and ribbon.

Simple1

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 9:57 am
I also remember one Purim buying plain solid colored gift bags in Target which came several in a pack. I don't remember how much they cost but I think it came out inexpensive, but it only works if you want that many. The quality isn't great, but that might not matter.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 10:21 am
Regrettably, I seem to need a lot. Do you know if these bags go on sale after Purim. I know a lot of Jewish holiday things don't usually go on sale. Maybe at the non jewish stores they do.

Optione

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 11:17 am
I bought baby gift bags (to put outfit in) at amazing savings for .69 cents. They had a smaller size for .49 and larger size for .89 (maybe .99?).

Barbara

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 11:19 am
You can buy gift boxes at the dollar store as well. They come in 3 packs. Then use wrapping paper. Or skip the box and just use wrapping paper.

The tissue at the dollar store comes in packs of 10 sheets. Buy a neutral color, and save it. I never use more than a couple of sheets per present, so the cost, to me, is about 20 cents per gift, not $1.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 11:20 am
Optione wrote:
I bought baby gift bags (to put outfit in) at amazing savings for .69 cents. They had a smaller size for .49 and larger size for .89 (maybe .99?).

I tried amazing savings first. They don't have many gift bags displayed because of Purim. The lines at the register were six deep with full wagons. Maybe after Purim, I will try again.

middy

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 11:30 am
I bought basket bags from oriental trading when they were on sale, and a roll of ribbon. u just arrange the gift nicely and tie with ribbons

middy

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 11:32 am
like these for example
http://www.orientaltrading.com.....+bags

amother

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 6:33 pm
middy wrote:
like these for example
http://www.orientaltrading.com.....+bags

Thanks for the suggestion. The gift is too small. I think I like the cellophane, the tissue paper covering cardboard as a bottom and a ribbon. I also like the newspaper; but I can't do it.

I can make my own bows so I can save there.

iluvy

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 7:15 pm
I buy gift boxes in Amazing Savings and then I just stick a big ribbon on top.

suzyq

Post Fri, Feb 03 2012, 9:12 am
I wrap stuff in aluminum foil (easier if it's in a box, but still possible if not). You can even decorate the aluminum with words or designs using a permanent marker and tie a bow around it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics